What should I buy?

gangolfus

Gawd
Current setup:
Dell 2408WFP (main)
Dell 2407WFP (secondary)
Driven by the Radeon HD4250 built into my motherboard

Both monitors were purchased used/off-lease through dfsdirectsales.com. I bought the 2407 first, and it is fantastic. A year-ish later I bought the 2408 because of my previous excellent experience, but the colors on the 2408 are off and I can't for the life of me fix it. It's been driving me nuts for awhile now and I'm finally ready to do something about it.

Usage:
I do not game at all. I am a professional software engineer and my main usages are general web browsing, light photo editing, email, some programming on the main screen and media on the secondary, either a music player or Netflix/HBOGO/DirecTV2PC.

Desires:
At first I was leaning towards replacing both screens with ASUS VS24AH-P's. They seem to be excellent values for the money and are 16:10 (1920x1200). I have 16:9 (1920x1080) monitors at work and I miss the extra 120 pixels. Now I am also considering larger (probably Korean) monitors, or just replacing the 2408 that is driving me batty and keeping the 2407. I like being able to watch full HD content at full resolution, so I don't really feel the need to replace the secondary with anything larger; I don't think I will get anything from it.

In summary, here are my options:
2x new 24" (1920x1200)
1x new 24" (1920x1200), keep existing 2407
1x new 27" (2560 x 1440), keep existing 2407
2x new 27" (2560 x 1440)

I don't have a hard budget, but I believe I should be able to do this project for well under $700.

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I'd go with this option:

Get the best 27" that fits your needs within your budget :)

I'd go with this option:

Get the best 27" that fits your needs within your budget :)

I think I agree. Any suggestions for monitors that suit my needs? Am I going to be limited by my video card? Approximately how much bigger -physically- is a 27" than a 24"?

I think I agree. Any suggestions for monitors that suit my needs? Am I going to be limited by my video card? Approximately how much bigger -physically- is a 27" than a 24"?

Keep your current one and buy a new 2560x1440 27". As far as physical difference, for 27" inch screens with low profile bezels, it isn't that bad, but it will be noticeable. As far as the screen real estate compared to a 24", it is a huge difference. I used a 27" and 24" together for a bit on my home workstation and found it a little annoying after awhile. But then again, I am pretty OCD about my screens, I like them to be exactly the same. Right now I have 3x27" Samsung 970Ds for my gaming system and I love them. They do have glossy screens if that matters to you, but they are far better than many of the glossy screens I see out there. They might also be a bit pricey for your budget. You can get the Korean 27" 2560x1440 screens pretty cheap and they perform generally well, but it can be a slight gamble on the overall quality and dead pixels.

The newer Dell models aren't as good as some of the older ones. I had both the 2408 and 2407 myself and liked both. I just recently sold both of those off still in perfect working condition. In the 27" 2560x1440, I like Asus, Samsung, and Viewsonic. Outside of the Korean knock-off brands, Asus is probably your best bang for your buck (~$550).

I've been using dual monitors for close to a decade now and only had matching screens the past couple of years, so I don't think I will mind different size screens. My curiosity had more to do with additional desk real estate required for the bigger monitor, not the delta between the 2 screens I will be looking at. I can see how different sizes would be annoying if you were spanning something like a game across screens, but I won't be, so I'll be fine.

I've been using dual monitors for close to a decade now and only had matching screens the past couple of years, so I don't think I will mind different size screens. My curiosity had more to do with additional desk real estate required for the bigger monitor, not the delta between the 2 screens I will be looking at. I can see how different sizes would be annoying if you were spanning something like a game across screens, but I won't be, so I'll be fine.

As for desk space, it takes up just a little bit more width. Generally speaking it will probably be roughly 2" wider and 2" taller total. My 2407 was about 23" wide and 15" tall. My Samsung 970d is about 25" wide and 18" tall (with the stand).

As for desk space, it takes up just a little bit more width. Generally speaking it will probably be roughly 2" wider and 2" taller total. My 2407 was about 23" wide and 15" tall. My Samsung 970d is about 25" wide and 18" tall (with the stand).

Can you by any chance tell me the screen dimensions of the 27" without the stand? I will be using a Monoprice dual desk mount instead of the stands. Thanks.

Sure, the Samsung 970D does not have a VESA mount as all the connections are in the base of the stand. But without the stand it would be 25.25" wide x 15.75" high.

For that Asus here are the dimensions:

With Stand(WxHxD):25.31" x 21.74" x 8.58"
Without Stand(WxHxD):25.31" x 15.2" x 2.74"(For VESA Wall Mount)

So it is pretty close to the same. The Samsung has a slightly wider bezel at the bottom compared to the Asus which is what makes the 1/4" difference in height. I would imagined most of the other 27" 2560x1440 monitors will be the same. Also for reference my 28" 1920x1200 monitor is 26.25" wide x 17.5" high without the stand.

For anyone wondering, I ended up selling the 2408WFP and ordered an X-Star DP2710 on sale for $280. Should be here next Wednesday!

Back