What Sata 6 controller for P67?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
I want to make sure I get a P67 motherboard that has a Intel Sata 6 controller and not a marvel or highpoint one. Dose anyone know if the asus or msi boards have the intel controller?

I assume all boards have at least 2 Intel SATA 3.0 ports, considering it's the P67 Intel chipset.

Edit:
What strikes me is which boards have Intel Gigabit controllers. I haven't seen all P67 boards, but have only noticed upper-end ASUS boards with Intel Gigabit and of course Intel's own. Disappointed the UD7 doesn't. Any $200+ board should. Any $300+ really should. :p

Last edited:
yes I know that. I'm talking about the sata 6 controller

The Asus P67 motherboards (the P8P67 series) all have at least three internal SATA 6 Gbps ports - two of which are native to the Intel P67 PCH, the other two (P8P67, P8P67 PRO, P8P67 EVO, P8P67 Deluxe) or one (P8P67 LE) using a Marvell controller. What would have been a second Marvell-controlled SATA 6 Gbps port on the P8P67 LE is instead used by an eSATA port.

Ops :) My bad I didn't even notice that. I always just thought it was called sata 6 :) you learn something new every day...

Ops :) My bad I didn't even notice that. I always just thought it was called sata 6 :) you learn something new every day...

Here's the Asus P67 P8P67 boards, as you can see below you'd want to use the (gray) ports for 6.0 Gb/s through the intel chipset.. instead of the the slower Marvell which are (navy blue)

Intel® P67 Express Chipset
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray)
4 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (blue)
Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10
Marvell® PCIe 9128 SATA 6Gb/s controller with HyperDuo function*
2 xSATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue)

The MSI also has 4 x Sata 3 (6.0 Gbs) I assume 2 are intel and 2 are marvell like the Asus.

you'd want to use the (gray) ports for 6.0 Gb/s through the intel chipset..

They're white actually. :p

asus-storage.jpg

The P67's dual storage controllers make color-coding a must for SATA ports. In light blue, we have the P67's 3Gbps ports, followed by the chipset's 6Gbps ports in white. The darker blue ports over to the right also offer 6Gbps Serial ATA connectivity, but via an auxiliary Marvell controller rather than through the chipset.

In all the benches the Intel chipset is far superior to the Marvell.. makes you wonder why they even included the Marvell and instead went with 4 x Intel 6 GBs sata. :confused:

In all the benches the Intel chipset is far superior to the Marvell.. makes you wonder why they even included the Marvell and instead went with 4 x Intel 6 GBs sata. :confused:

afaik, Intel sata 6.0Gbps controllers were integrated into the p67 chipset.
If the p67 chipset only supports 2 ports, than you need to find other means of providing additional sata6Gbps ports which is where the Marvell controller comes in.

afaik, Intel sata 6.0Gbps controllers were integrated into the p67 chipset.
If the p67 chipset only supports 2 ports, than you need to find other means of providing additional sata6Gbps ports which is where the Marvell controller comes in.

+1

What about the PCIex16 lanes?

+1

What about the PCIex16 lanes?

what about them?

I think the controller and bandwidth enough for a single pcie-x16 lane is integrated into the CPU and not the chipset..
Single pcie-x16 slot is simplest/cheapest to implement for budget motherboards, while other motherboards may find ways to split the bandwidth (x8/x8 or some other configuration), implement sli/xfire(they also probably have to pay for SLI licensing), or find another workaround; ie. nf200

everything above is "AFAIK".. and/or speculation though...

Back