what router brand do you use?

what router brand do you use?

• Total voters
Netgear WiFi. Works pretty well and distributes a decent Wifi signal throughout the house. Works for me. No complaints.

i use a netgear for my router and a buffalo in bridge mode for the xbox and htpc

I bought a TP Link because the price was good, but it started cutting out for no apparent reason, and their tech support was atrocious ("Yeah, it's definitely defective, try returning it to the store where you bought it even though you're 5 months past the return window")

Luckily, Amazon has great service, and I was able to return it and get credit towards an Asus RT-N16, which is a far superior router in every way. Running it now with Tomato 1.28 and it's a champ. I couldn't remember whether it was running Tomato or DD-WRT, and had to go into it and check. That's how good this thing has been - I set it up and forgot about it. My TP-Link had to be moved to its own surge protector so every time it failed for no reason (like 2-3 times a week), I could turn it off and on again easily.

Where's my ADTRAN?! :p

At work I work on Enterprise Cisco, ADTRAN, and the occasional Juniper.

At home I have an Enterprise Cisco and a Netgear WNDR3700 with DD-WRT but I wish had a more robust CLI.

Non-Enterprise.....
WNDR3700 retired.
Asus RT-N66U - Returned (no issues, just overpriced for AP mode)

Enterprise.......
Cisco 1921 ISR with Security License (Zone Firewall) - Current Router and FIrewall
Cisco ASA 5505 w/ Security Plus license - Occasionally use it.

I currently have two Linksys WRT54G routers running DD-WRT firmware. I need to upgrade them to something faster with gigabyte capabilities and Wireless N (Not that I have wireless N, but eventually I will)

I'd ideally like it to have dual WAN capabilities out the box as well.

I currently have two Linksys WRT54G routers running DD-WRT firmware. I need to upgrade them to something faster with gigabyte capabilities and Wireless N (Not that I have wireless N, but eventually I will)

I'd ideally like it to have dual WAN capabilities out the box as well.

Dual wan? That will not happen on consumer anything. If you meant dual WLAN then yes that is all around us right now.

Dual wan? That will not happen on consumer anything. If you meant dual WLAN then yes that is all around us right now.

So no consumer routers have dual WAN (as in using two Internet connections) capabilities out the box? I used to have a Nexland Pro800Turbo router that did dual WAN, however it cost like $400 back in the day (This was probably 2001/2002) I don't see how they wouldn't have a solution sub $200 by now.

Apparently I can only find one router at Newegg with dual WAN ports, and it doesn't even seem to do load balancing on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cisco Linksys E2000
We also use a Cisco Linksys E3000 and an Actiontec router as Wifi Repeaters.

Using an Alix 2D13 board here with OpenWRT on it. Occasionally running FreeBSD (nanobsd image).

I'm using my Verizon Actiontec as the router atm since it's far more reliable than my DLink DIR-655.

So no consumer routers have dual WAN (as in using two Internet connections) capabilities out the box? I used to have a Nexland Pro800Turbo router that did dual WAN, however it cost like $400 back in the day (This was probably 2001/2002) I don't see how they wouldn't have a solution sub $200 by now.

Apparently I can only find one router at Newegg with dual WAN ports, and it doesn't even seem to do load balancing on them.

I use a TP-Link TL-R470+. It has dual WAN and load balancing and a reasonable price. The only thing it doesn't do that I wish it did was port translation. Other than that, no complaints at all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704101&Tpk=tl-r470+

Custom..

AMD Athlon X2
2GB RAM
2 x Intel Gigabit NIC's
pfSense 2

...lolcisco

Right now I'm using an Asus RT-N16 with a Toastman Tomato build as I needed MLPPP support when I first got this router.

It's been rock solid and I'm loving the gigabit and N capability.

I previously used a Linksys WRT54G v1.1 for what seems like a decade and it was a great piece of hardware.

Lots of different ones.
Right now, at home, a Cisco e3000.
At the office...an HP Proliant DL360 running Untangle with 5x statics each on cable and DSL.

For my clients..many different ones....but probably 90% are Untangle Appliances running Untangle, Cisco (tend to use the RV series more), Dell PowerEdges running Untangle, have a few DLinks and Netgears in the mix that I didn't get them but its what they have.

e3000 on DD-WRT right now.

looking to add pfsense behind it maybe or untangle.

and maybe step up to an older enterprise cisco

use the DDWRT'd box as an AP only

Buffalo(Chose other as I didn't see Buffalo at first lol). Comes stock with a form of DDWRT or flash to vanilla DDWRT. I have three of these in my house. One connected to my cable modem/htpc, one bridge upstairs in my office, and one bridge in the garage. Not a bad setup for under $140.

Until last year I had a Hawker G router. Picked it off the clearance table at a CompUSA years ago for next to nothing. It started dropping connections too often so I bought a Netgear N150 to replace it. My needs aren't very demanding and it's working great.

edit: Hawking

Last edited:
Back