what really cause a blu-ray burner to wear out?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
is it the no. of times you burn a blu-ray 50Gb?

The no. of times your disc read by the player

or some circuitry that will dry up if you DO NOT use the drive often enough?

My Pioneer is made in Japan and costs me $270, I'm trying to preserve the lifespan of this drive

Don't worry about it... by the time you wear it out, it will be replaced by a blu-ray drive that is 4 times as fast and costs $15 in about 2yrs.

More like $40-50... we're just now getting to the point where decent - meaning not the cheapy cheapy useless shit - DVD burners are about $15-20 when they're on sale or with a mail-in-rebate of some kind. Typical price for a decent DVD burner is still $30-50 before discounts, rebates, or sales.

I don't expect to see Blu-ray burners in quantity under $50 for at least 2 more years solid, if that soon.

And, forget the Blu-ray media coming down to significantly reduced pricing anytime soon. It'll be 5 freakin' years before we can get a 50 pack of blank Blu-ray single layer media for the $20-25 we can find good DVD media for. Blame it on Sony and the damned Blu-ray licensing costs... they're really reaming everyone on that aspect of the Blu-ray movement.

Pioneer 12X BD burner, is going for $150 to $200 at ebay. They better be made in japan. And there is a difference. DVD that has too much scratches on it, can be read by their burner, but NOT by a cheap DVD burner.

I can get Sony 50GB media, made in Japan, at about $5.?, if I buy Taiyo Yuden, I have to pay $37 per 100, which equals 11 x 0.37 = 4.07. For that $1.x difference, I save electricity, CD plastic folder costs, which is more than that $1 anyway

Last edited:
More like $40-50... we're just now getting to the point where decent - meaning not the cheapy cheapy useless shit - DVD burners are about $15-20 when they're on sale or with a mail-in-rebate of some kind. Typical price for a decent DVD burner is still $30-50 before discounts, rebates, or sales.

No, you can get very nice DVD burners from Newegg with free shipping for $15-20, and most are 20-24x burners, not like the old expensive 16x burners.

As for Blu-Rays, I would expect them to be at this price in the next 2-3 years, since right now they are around $90-100 for a decent burner.

Just my opinion though.

No, you can get very nice DVD burners from Newegg with free shipping for $15-20, and most are 20-24x burners, not like the old expensive 16x burners.

As for Blu-Rays, I would expect them to be at this price in the next 2-3 years, since right now they are around $90-100 for a decent burner.

Just my opinion though.

Agreed. 50 dollars is way too much to spend on a DVD burner. My last DVD Burner cost half that, and it's name brand. Your paying way way too much bro.

Back