What RAM would be best ?

Cov

Gawd
Hi,

my upcoming computer is going to have the following hardware:

CPU _ Intel i5 2500K
Mainboard _ Intel DH67CF
RAM _ ???

The system should be power sufficient, reliable and silent.
If I could, I would underclock & undervolt, but afaik the mainboard does not allow that.

It has two banks which can take up to 16 GB of RAM modules.
My question: can you recommend compatible RAM modules for that system, please ?

The chipset is called H67, suitable for DDR3 1333/1066-MHz RAM.

4714925.jpg

Would it work if I took one single 8GB module only instead of 2x4 GB, or do both banks have to be filled ?
If a single module was enough, could you recommend any suitable 8GB module ?

Otherwise I would go for either 2x4 or 2x8 GB. Here are some examples:

1. F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (4GB2x)
2. F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL (4GBx2)
3. F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL (4GBx1)
4. F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT (4GBx2)

I wouldn't mind taking RAMs with higher specs than the motherboard is capable to make use of. They all are downwards compatible anyway, right ?

Some of them have 1.35 instead of 1.5 V .. would that make any difference in power consumption and/or heat generation ?

Thank you

You don't have to fill both banks, but the memory will not work in dual channel mode, so you effectively half the memory bandwidth, which is not good for performance!

The lower voltage (1.35) does consume less power, and therefore puts out less heat, but really it won't be of super much concern, unless you have very very bad case airflow, and then in that case, keeping the CPU cool would be the bigger problem. I would recommend you go for 2x4GB now, and maybe add another 2x4GB at a later date.

As you said, you can get 1600Mhz Memory, and probibly run them at CAS7 at 1333Mhz, I have some Corsair CAS8 @ 1600Mhz that runs CAS7 happily at 1440 and probibly beyond. The price difference shouldn't be so large.

Cov,

I would like to mention that had you gone for a single 8GB module, the ones that are compatible with that DH67CF motherboard are extremely rare: Most 8GB DDR3 modules on the market are ECC and/or registered - neither of which the i5-2500K supports, and they will not work properly (if they even work at all) with the i5-2500K/H67 platform even if the module physically fits the DIMM slot. This limits you to unbuffered non-ECC 8GB modules. A few brands offer them, but a single 8GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR3 module is currently five to six times more expensive than most 2 x 4GB dual-channel DDR3 memory kits. In other words, while 2 x 4GB kits sell for as little as $50, a single 8GB stick costs between $250 and $300.

Back