What Ram Should I Pick For My BF4 Build? *Specs Inside*

seaneboy

Limp Gawd
Ok, so this is what I have spec'd out so far... I threw the ram in there as a place holder, but do not know if that is the best choice..? Maybe I should just stick with 2x4GB instead? Should I be spec'ing based off latency? I am definitely going with socket 2011, either a 3930k, or a 4930k, however I am unsure if the motherboard listed will be my final pick - $420 on a mobo is quote the toke/hit to the dome...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($549.98 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($64.60 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($126.92 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($539.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($183.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) ($104.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Total: $2316.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-13 12:28 EST-0500)

Last edited:
If you are going with a Ivy/Sandy Bridge-E, definitely look for ram in a 4x4, 4x8, etc config. Might as well use that quad-channel ability. :)

the amount of RAM you'll need is dependent on how you use your system.

you may also want to consider a higher capacity SSD. you haven't told us anything about what you're doing with the system (other than BF4), but I'd wager that anemic drive will eventually eat your lunch. the PSU is also vastly overkill. finally, is this an open bench style system, or is it going to end up in a case? ;)

Last edited:

you may also want to consider a higher capacity SSD. you haven't told us anything about what you're doing with the system (other than BF4), but I'd wager that anemic drive will eventually eat your lunch. the PSU is also vastly overkill. finally, is this an open bench style system, or is it going to end up in a case? ;)

Not sure on the PSU being vastly overkill. Definitely get quad channel memory though, and BF4 does like high memory speeds, at least there was apparently a noticeable difference on z87 for BF4, not sure about x79. Honestly, for games, x79 is not worth the cost unless your going to get 3 or more GPUs IMO.

What are you going to be doing with this system besides BF4? What kind of monitor(s)?

Last edited:
that system's not going to draw anywhere near 860W as configured, load or otherwise.

Provides capability for 24/7 OC'ing, multi-GPU, and storage expansion, though. It's not going to hurt anything...the price differences between the 660, 760, and 860 PSUs is negligible when one is spending the money for a Hexacore system, IMO.

If you are going with a Ivy/Sandy Bridge-E, definitely look for ram in a 4x4, 4x8, etc config. Might as well use that quad-channel ability. :)

I did not know that's how the ram worked! Geeze, thank goodness I posted, would've been nerfing this dream build otherwise...! Thanks, I'll most likely go 4x4, because I'm like that..

I was thinking of going for a 256GB SSD, especially seeing what pricing is out there. Am I going to notice the difference between a Samsung Pro, and Evo?

As for a case, I was thinking 900D, but not sure... It's not as 'flashy' as my typical stylo, but I might like the simplicity/function over fashion side of it. Also, I really want to build my first custom loop, and go with a larger radiator so I can add the GPU(s) down the line, so would a 360 fit in a 900D?

What are you going to be doing with this system besides BF4? What kind of monitor(s)?

To be honest, I'm really not going to be doing much else.. I wish I knew how to render, I wish I was messing with photoshop/cad/running vm's, etc.. But, I'm just not, I don't do that stuff.

I was hoping to go 1440p, maybe get a second one (for bs - web while gaming, etc), go tri 1440p eventually, but I don't really see that has happening right now... Not sure it's even possible at a decent framerate? But anyway, I've already talked myself out of eyefinity/video surround for the time being.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I picked up on a few things in my research, however you certainly added a lot to it, for sure...

As for X79 - I do hope to gradually tag on more GPUs as they come along.. I just picked up the 3930k from a buddy who has benched it up to 5.1 ghz a couple of times for me, for $440...

Is the difference between a quad i7 and hex i7 in BF4 so extreme that a Z87 + i7, 8-16 GB RAM, and XFire/SLI with 1440p wouldn't suffice? Reason why I ask is because the GPU should be given primary focus above all else when building a dedicated gaming system, IMO.

Well, the whole hex thing started when someone offered me one in trade for a ps4 I had. Considering the ps4 was worth $400, and the chip was $560 (BNIB), I saw this as a good value. Then, I just came across my friend with the 3930k, and pulled the trigger.
I did recall reading somewhere that bf4 took advantage of the hex. Also the full PCI-E capabilities were appealing to me for some sort of future proofing...
As for the GPU, it's going to be a Titan, or 780 ACX SC, going to eventually SLI.

Got 2 mates active in BF4. Both had almost the same system. 1 of them just gave 1K+ to pimp up his rig, new z87 mobo, 4770k, 780ti and specifically wanted those 2000+ watchamahertz ram because he read about it improving game play in BF4, guess what my other mate said...

...he still sucks at this game!

Bahahahah! Very funny! Well, I've been playing since the original release of BF1942, so I'm basically a war veteran now... If/when they turn attack choppers into RC, I will probably be the Red Baron of our times. I'm sick with the keyboard and mouse, and flying...I had a joystick, and ended up returning it because I'm so much better with the mouse. I still have dreams of my 100-0 run with the frogfoot in the Desert Combat mod. I cannot wait to get back on the PC wagon - after five plus years of only playing console, the itch is unbearable... Five year itch? I guess so...

If all you play are games then ditch the x79 and go with a Q87, i7 if you really want to splurg on a CPU, 16GB of DDR3-1600 and spend the remaining money on the 780 Ti. It will be faster than what you're wanting now. You'l even have enough money for two 780 Ti GPUs. Do note that you don't need to spend more than $150 TOPS on an Q87 motherboard.

Hey look I just saved you 50 bucks on your PSU!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151132

You won't use over 750w, even if you add a second card:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/23/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_video_card_review/8#.UtXVgYCIqmV

Highly-overclocked quad-core + GTX 780 = 350w at the wall. Their PSU is Gold, so it's really 300-325w actual load!

Even adding an additional 100w for the extra cores on your processor, and an extra 250w for another card + OC, you still only need a 650w PSU. You're more than covered with the 750w.

Also, if all you're doing is gaming, you're wasting tons of money on Socket 2011 plus that incredibly overpriced motherboard. Trust me when I tell you: you won't notice a difference between a $200 and $400 motherboard (not unless you're overclocking on liquid nitrogen), and a Core i7 quad core will be just as fast in games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

Savings = $450!

If you must insist on making it rain, put that money toward a second GPU, or a Surround setup :D

Last edited:
Well, I picked up the 3930k off a friend, so that's a done deal... And, I do plan on maybe going surround in the future, but at least SLI/Xfire... I wanted to make use of the PCI-E lanes if possible.

As for the power supply.. Would the 750 be suffice, even if I were to add water cooling, a second card, and overclock the whole gamut?

Well, I picked up the 3930k off a friend, so that's a done deal... And, I do plan on maybe going surround in the future, but at least SLI/Xfire... I wanted to make use of the PCI-E lanes if possible.

As for the power supply.. Would the 750 be suffice, even if I were to add water cooling, a second card, and overclock the whole gamut?

I cannot say for sure:D

The difference between 2 - 3 GPUs on x79 and Q87 are so small you wouldn't be able to tell outside of bechmarks. Even with 4 GPUs you wouldn't be able to tell.

Hey look I just saved you 50 bucks on your PSU!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151132

You won't use over 750w, even if you add a second card:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/05/23/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_video_card_review/8#.UtXVgYCIqmV

Highly-overclocked quad-core + GTX 780 = 350w at the wall. Their PSU is Gold, so it's really 300-325w actual load!

Even adding an additional 100w for the extra cores on your processor, and an extra 250w for another card + OC, you still only need a 650w PSU. You're more than covered with the 750w.

Also, if all you're doing is gaming, you're wasting tons of money on Socket 2011 plus that incredibly overpriced motherboard. Trust me when I tell you: you won't notice a difference between a $200 and $400 motherboard (not unless you're overclocking on liquid nitrogen), and a Core i7 quad core will be just as fast in games.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131979

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116901

Savings = $450!

If you must insist on making it rain, put that money toward a second GPU, or a Surround setup :D

Yeahhh.. I was reading from my phone before.. A re-read confirms... So, why the heck don't more people build with 650-750 PSUs?

No, I feel like everyone is always using much bigger PSUs.. Are they also hooking up a car charger to them or what?

No, I feel like everyone is always using much bigger PSUs.. Are they also hooking up a car charger to them or what?
A combination of different reasons;
1) Overestimation of their actual power needs.
2) They're choosing lower quality 750+ PSUs over higher quality lower wattage PSUs
3) Headroom for a ton of upgrades
4) They actually need that much power.
5) They've got money to burn.

I think I'm actually going to stick with the 1000w PSU.. Just so I do have the expandability.. Considering that I might be going with a very large case (900D), or so.. I might as well have the PSU to back it up. I might want to add quite a few things in there, hard drives, card reader, tv card, and the list goes on...

I think I'm actually going to stick with the 1000w PSU.. Just so I do have the expandability.. Considering that I might be going with a very large case (900D), or so.. I might as well have the PSU to back it up. I might want to add quite a few things in there, hard drives, card reader, tv card, and the list goes on...

:eek:

why did you decide to up the PSU to 1000W?

Even number... Naw, I just used a psu calculator, and added every accessory I might want to add down the line, and they recommended 1000w... I guess I could still be talked out of it..

Did some research on PSU models and a real steal right now is the Cooler Master V series. Same internals as the Corsair units, but seems to be lacking common coil whine as the Corsair units exhibit, so a bit of a bonus included.

V850 is around $160-180
1000 is around $190-210
...and they seem to have the same flat cables as the Corsair twins.

The PSU will be fine.
We run 3930k's + W5000 cards + Asus WS boards that are rendering FT
Not even close to using the 850w that's in them.

Thanks for the input!

UPDATE:
So, I have a RIVBE on the way, and the ram I'm getting is 4x4 Dominator GT @ 2133

Back