What pump to use with new conroe waterblock?

Seventyfive

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to figure out what pump I should use when I upgrade my waterblock. I'm looking at a the TDX, MP-05 Pro, or Swiftech Storm (anyone have opinions on these?).

Right now I have a single CSP-750 which is running with a Dtek Spiral block for my socket A (yes, I totally skipped the socket 939.. i'm behind). Anyways, it works pretty well but I'm reading that these new generations of blocks need a lot of pressure. Any thoughts?

If I need to replace this CSP-750, do you guys have any recommendations? I don't want to do a submersible inline, I used to have a Via but it died and I don't like using a relay all that much. A good DC pump is what I'm looking for. Hopefully something cheap... I need to save some money for RAM. ;p

Oh, also: my loop is like this:
pump -> res -> rad -> block -> back to pump

Thanks everyone!

danks

Limp Gawd
Jet impingement based waterblocks should really be paired with a pump with good head. I would recommend something like the 18w laing ddc ultra. It's more expensive then some of the other pumps out there but its ideal for those types of blocks. Especially a good idea if you ever add multiple blocks in the same loop.

jreffy

Limp Gawd
The above poster is correct. Most reviews I've read about the Swiftech Storm (which I have just obtained myself) suggest the MCP655 or something better, like the Ultra, for best results.

Seventyfive

[H]ard|Gawd
Dang, sounds like I'll be investing $80 in a new pump ;(

Maybe I will try to see if there are other socket 775 blocks that will work with my existing pump. :rolleyes:

By the way, how is that Swiftech Storm? What pump are you using? Is it worth the $$?

chris.c

Limp Gawd
This is a really good deal. If you never plan on taking the IHS off your conroe, or never plan on giving it 1.6+ volts, you won't notice a difference between the TDX and the Storm. Also, the TDX is a (relatively) high flow block, so a D5 will be more than enough for that block as well as a GPU block if you decide to add one later.

"The best" off the shelf setup would a Swiftech Storm block and a 18w DDC pump w/ modded top, but if you are not a hardcore WC d00d (which I figured because you made this thread) you will be more than happy with the TDX+D5 combo I linked.

Hope this helps.

Seventyfive

[H]ard|Gawd
Thanks Chris.c, that IS an awesome deal. I used to be pretty hardcore about my WC setup but that was 3-4 years ago when I was in college. Nowadays I just want a decent system that gives better than air temps without headaches or breaking my bank.

I think this is definitely what I will go with.

danks

Limp Gawd
If you go with the TDX you may want to pickup the brass top as well. Although the stock acrylic top looks nice its prone to cracking. Just a precaution... :)