What PSU Would You Recommend for a File Server?

DiscreteMeat

Limp Gawd
I have been slowly acquiring the needed parts to build a files server and I noticed that the amount of SATA connectors varies by the PSU you select. I'm not sure at this point how many drives I'll be using in my WHS machine but I'd think it would be wise to get a PSU that allows for adding more drives as needed.

I see there's a $10 promo code and a $20 MIR on the CORSAIR 650TX and it has 8 SATA connectors. Would that be a good PSU for a file server? Would it be be enough power? What if I need more SATA connectors down the road? :confused:

What's the specs of the server itself?

But yes the 650TX is a good PSU for a file server. Can easily handle 15 drives.

Specs:

The CPU is a very low powered AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350.
I have three Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB drives for storage.
I was also considering installing the WHS OS on a separate smaller faster drive (read somewhere that it improves performance).
I have the following drives I could use for the OS: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 7200 RPM and a Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 RPM
Memory is 2 x 1GB sticks of Crucial DDR2 800
The motherboard I have for my WHS is this BIOSTAR A760G

If the 650TX is a good PSU for a file server would the modular 650HX also be good (has 9 SATA connectors)? And what do I do if I need more SATA connectors down the road?

The 650HX will be a good PSU for a file server as well.

You can always use molex to SATA adapters should you need more hard drives.

Thanks for the help. I just wasn't sure if a 650 would be enough juice but it sounds like Its up to the task. I'd like to ask if there's any truth to using a smaller faster drive (like that Blue or Raptor) for the OS or would I not notice much difference just installing it on one of the 1.5TB Green drives?

Also, how would the COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC be as a file server case?

Thanks for the help. I just wasn't sure if a 650 would be enough juice but it sounds like Its up to the task. I'd like to ask if there's any truth to using a smaller faster drive (like that Blue or Raptor) for the OS or would I not notice much difference just installing it on one of the 1.5TB Green drives?

for a file server I can tell you that you would NOT see the difference...

however you could short stroke the hard drive...

as for that case... I wouldnt...

try to find a nice used Cooler Master Smacker 810!!! :D now thats a file server case

or these are not bad

this has a nice layout
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811162054

this is based on the old Antec server tower case with a few impovments (however it has a window which might not be what you are going for

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166004

Not much of a difference in day to day usage.

The Elite 335 case is a pretty decent case for file serving duties.

I wouldn't go with the Sunbeam case since at $90 shipped, I'm fairly sure there are significantly better quality cases for money. I.e:
$80 - Cooler Master RC-690-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$80 - Cooler Master CM690 II ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-7B Plus II ATX Case
$100 - Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case
$90 - Cooler Master HAF 922M RC-922M-KKN1-GP ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not much of a difference in day to day usage.

The Elite 335 case is a pretty decent case for file serving duties.

I wouldn't go with the Sunbeam case since at $90 shipped, I'm fairly sure there are significantly better quality cases for money. I.e:

yeah this is true... i guess I wasnt paying attention to the shipping

I'm using the Elite 335 case. Works well, I added one of the Cooler Master 4-in-3 modules. Server specs in my signature.

Back