What PSU for a 4930k Build

AnNiMosSiTY

Limp Gawd
Building my Mom a PC this Xmas, the specs are.

Undecided on Mobo (Will not be overclocking)
16GB Ram
256GB SSD
1 TB Storage Drive
GTX 660 Video Card
Corsair Carbide 200R

Her current rig has a Corsair 600 Watt PSU that's about two years old. I'd feel better sticking a new unit in. I'm confident 600 Watt's should be enough with a quality PSU. I Would like something modular though to make it look nicer. What would you guys recommend? I am having a helluva time making a decision, money is a little tight at this point in time so nothing super crazy.

Why use a 4930K?

What is your mom doing with this to need that CPU and an SSD?

The answer is either Corsair or Seasonic.

Why use a 4930K?

What is your mom doing with this to need that CPU and an SSD?

The answer is either Corsair or Seasonic.

She does a ton of handbraking\media rendering creating training videos for an HR firm. She also likes to play some WoW here and there.

She does a ton of handbraking\media rendering creating training videos for an HR firm. She also likes to play some WoW here and there.

I do alot of encoding myself as well.

The difference between what I was going to recommend and this is 10 dollars. It gets you 100 more watts and will ensure a long life even after it starts to degrade.

Single 12 Volt rail
Fully Modular
80 Plus Gold
750 Watts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087

For what you are powering there is no need for more than a 650W PSU. I'd recommend going with the SeaSonic SSR-650RM. It's more than enough to power what you have with everything overclocked and you still have room to upgrade to a better GPU and overclock it.

If you purchase a PSU with more power than you need then you lose the efficiency that the PSU is capable of.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is the 600 watt a GS or a CX? Either way, if it is only two years old and money is tight, I'd just reuse it. The GTX 660 only requires a single 6 pin, and I really doubt that system would even use 500 watts under any scenario.

Is the 600 watt a GS or a CX? Either way, if it is only two years old and money is tight, I'd just reuse it. The GTX 660 only requires a single 6 pin, and I really doubt that system would even use 500 watts under any scenario.

^ What he said.

Back