What proxy are you running 500+ users?

jonw757

Gawd
Company is looking for a proxy and wondering what people are using for a decent amount of users. Will be starting out at about 500 users. Thanks!

ISA Sever 2006, though it's primarily a firewall. For smaller deployments, I have been using Endian.

We have about 600 users right now and use Symantec's solution. It's a piece of poo. We are currently evaluating new stuff andlooking at ISA with Surf Control Also take a look at Squid, and Dan's Guardian. Squid & Dans Guardian work very well together. Squid is the web proxy / cacheing portion, and Dan's Guardian is the content filtering. They scale pretty well and are completely open source.

Any thoughts on running IPCop or a similar solution? I have it setup with adv proxy and url filter. Looks like it will do what we need but having trouble with server hardware compatibility.

jonw757 said:
Any thoughts on running IPCop or a similar solution? I have it setup with adv proxy and url filter. Looks like it will do what we need but having trouble with server hardware compatibility.

What server are you trying to load it on? For 500+ users, I would assume that you would need something with some decent horse power. Especially if you are using adv proxy and url filtering.

What makes you think there's a hardware compatibility problem?

1. An IBM x345. 2.8ghz xeon mirrored SCSI drives and 2.5GB of RAM.

2. Because I tried to install IPCOP and it said no hard drives found :p

If you want to go the free route, you could always just use the Linux distro of your choice and then install Squid. I had no problem installing FC5 on an older HP box with a RAID 5 Array.

The biggest thing with the Linux option would be who would support it? Would you be the lone ranger? If that is the case, then you may have to document how to do things, if your employer requires that.

jonw757 said:
2. Because I tried to install IPCOP and it said no hard drives found :p
This sounds like a failure to install drivers for the OS, not a compatibility problem with IPCop.

IPCOP is an OS, and if it doesn't have support for a hard disk controller it is considered incompatible out of the box

it isn't nearly as easy, but if you can find linux drivers for your controllers then you should be able to load IPCOP up...

but truthfully, i would probably just get a good solid IDE drive or mirror (you should be backing it up regardless) and you should be fine... hard drive access isn't the most important on an IPCOP machine, and it is always going to be easier using a drive setup that IPCOP can access "out of the box"

goodcooper said:
IPCOP is an OS, and if it doesn't have support for a hard disk controller it is considered incompatible out of the box
Oh, I didn't know that. What I had read on their website was that it's Linux-based.

well without checking- last time i looked ipcop did not support scsi devices.

i would ditch the linux idea because i'm a hater. i'm just trying to be honest. openbsd or freebsd with squid would be my choice.

funny about the mention of symantec's solution being a piece of poo- that was my experience with it as well :D

big daddy fatsacks said:
well without checking- last time i looked ipcop did not support scsi devices.

It supports scsi drives on my IBM X330 just fine.

Squid shouldn't have any trouble doing this. I know a few people that use it in large installations without problems.

Thing is I loaded it previous on a x335 and it worked fine. It must not support the kind of RAID cards that come with the servers that support more then 2 drives. Either way, Linux, squid and possibly dans guardian was always an option I was just trying for something that would require a little less setup time and ease of use for people around here.

Keep the comments coming!

jonw757 said:
Thing is I loaded it previous on a x335 and it worked fine. It must not support the kind of RAID cards that come with the servers that support more then 2 drives. Either way, Linux, squid and possibly dans guardian was always an option I was just trying for something that would require a little less setup time and ease of use for people around here.

Keep the comments coming!
If you are looking at the open source side of things, you could have a Linux Squid box up and running in a few hours if you are knowledgeable of Linux. There are many guide for just about every distro available.

Back