what precautionary measures should i take before i run chkdisk on windows

yariman

n00b
I cant seem to mount my old windows data ntfs drive on my mac and its telling me to run checkdisk on my windows machine. The last time I let windows do that it deleted a ton of files without any prompts which really ****ed me off. I do have a back up but there have been some photos added since the last backup which i dont want to get hosed.

I get the impression chkdisk is aggressive and deletes what would normally be ok...again its just an impression.

So I want to know besides resorting to a backup, is there anything i can do before and after running it to protect / retrieve files?

Also how do you check the health of a drive in general - im wondering if this is a hardware fault rahter than software.

I wouldn't run chkdisk, I have had it fubar stuff to many times. Do you have an external usb adapter you could hook up that you can use to hook the drive up to the pc? (I assume you are connecting it internally now).

munkle, the old vista drive (by old i mean about 6 months WD HD Green 1 Tb ) is now in an external hd case thats connected to my mac by usb.

I can connect it to my vista again but what then? In you post you didnt mention the next step but are you suggesting that the pc may be able to read it better and i can maybe do a quick grab of the files?

ill go to the makers site for those tools as well.

ghost6303 its a secondary drive. just today when i tried to plug it back into my laptop the macs ntfs software complained and said i need to connect it to windows again and run chkdsk.

If it's a WD green drive, go here to get the software.

I would connect the drive directly (no USB) to your Windows machine and run the test.

Even if your drive tests "OK" with the WD software, you'll probably need to run chkdisk to repair file errors which may or may not have been caused by the HD itself.

I havent booted up my pc since gettting the mac... i didnt want to connect the drive directly as the last time i missed the "run chkdsk" prompt and ended up losing lots of files. Ill go ahead and be more cautious this time.

Back