What PC game have you tried to get into multiple times but just can't?

Roufuss

Gawd
Wanted to stir up some interesting discussion... try and add some details to make it interesting ;)

For me, it's Star Wars: Empire at War... I got this for free back in the day (no, not pirating :p), and I was so excited since it was being called the best Star Wars RTS and had decent preview buzz. I played it, and well, it just wasn't doing anything for me. It was more complicated than it needed to be, both sides seemed pretty similar, and well, I shelved it for a long time.

Fast forward to present time, and I'm getting ready to move, so I'm selling a lot of my old PC games I don't play... and I come across Empire at War again. I figure maybe I'll give it one more shot. This time, it doesn't seem so bad, I'm playing a campaign, things are going great! Until I found two flaw's that turned me off of the game - land battles were pretty boring, and the Emperor absoutely DESTROYS everyone! His Force Lightning destroys whole platoons, and then he can use Force Persuasion to get anyone to fight for him! I took out 4 planets with just the Emperor.

So, that's pretty much the one game I've kept and tried to get into twice, and I don't think the third time will be a charm. Has anyone else ever had a game that didn't get into the first time, but kept for some reason, and tried again and still didn't like it? Or maybe they suddenly liked it :D

Far Cry. I don't know why, but that game is cursed for me. Eitehr graphical texture problems, or the game crashes, or I format and forget to backup my saved games. Drives me nuts!

The original Diablo. I've tried to play that game several times, and just haven't been able to get sucked in enough to keep playing. I think the farthest i've played has been the fourth level and the only quests i've completed are the Butcher and the poisoned water quests.

counter strike. Spawn, run around, shoot, get shot, wait.

Boring as hell. no idea why it's so popular.

that would have to be farcry. i just couldnt get into it. the worst part is i have 2 copies of the game( one i got for $10 and the other came with my vid card)!! another one is red orchestra. i got that cause it was on ign's editors choice, and i hate it. but the newest game that i cant get into is halo 2. i thought with a key/mouse id like the game better than the xbox version and it beat it, but i was wrong. its just not a fun game, you move so dam slow!!!! talk about a waste of $50.

don't tell me, you're a HUGE america's army fan :) Personally, I only play custom fy maps in CS;S. (deathmatch style) I even found an iceworld server with deathmatch style respawning :)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Also kind of Oblivion.. completed main quest line and dark brotherhood, and after that I was bored out of my mind even when I knew there were many quests left to do.

thats what i used to say the first 2 years i had the game. i would hardly ever play it, because id always be the first dead. i played so much day of defeat source, that now im kinda okay at css. same engine so there kinda simular. i find css to be more fun that dods, because css takes more skill.

Ditto. Maybe if I started playing CS:S the day it came out I'd be more inclined to stick with it. It seems like everyone who plays the game is already and uber headshot artist and I can't run around a corner without dying before I realize what hit me. Not to mention I can't get a stinkin' shot off... lol

Starcraft. After all the hype of it being the "best game ever made" I tried and tried to get into it, but I just couldn't get past the UI: being limited to 12 guys per squad, having to micro SCVs so they'd go to different crystals, various activated abilities that you'd have to tab between squads to use, not being able to have the production unit queue be infinite... It was all the little things that forced me to click more than I should have needed to.

I like the art and I liked the concept, but the execution made me feel like I was fighting against the UI instead of my opponent. It was forced micromanagement which I absolutely abhor. The game felt like the winner was determined by who could click more, not by who was actually the better player.

Plus, after having played Supreme Commander and CoH, virtually infinite zoom and squad based combat with cover and accuracy taken into account make gameplay so much more varied and deep. I can't imagine trying to play SC any longer. Especially capped at 800x600. I hope SC2 takes at least a few of these things into account, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oblivion! After morrowind I just can't stand to play another action rpg. I wish they would include some quest in the main game that don't include dungeon crawling. As open as the game is it would be nice to be able to own farms/mines/businesses, rent/buy/sell more real estate (maybe own a castle or 2), build an army, ect.

LOL... you are the guy that is running around in a pub with 4 other dudes and I'm the guy flash banging all of you and shooting you all in the face. :D

Its not boring if you don't die. For people like me... CS is very fun. In fact the whole round thing makes playing so much more exciting for me. Any time I play any game with respawn I feel like theres less of a reason for me to try or to be as serious... because when I die... I'm back... I know where you just killed me and I'm coming for you.... Thats the factor I don't like.

CS is different... every round is different. As long as people are not ghosting... its fun knowing that when you kill someone... they arn't going to be coming for you in 40 seconds after they respawn. Waiting makes the virtural life a bit more important... and makes people like me make sure I"m getting head shots so that I'm not just sitting around.

:D BOOM-HEADSHOT :D

Americas army. Takes too freaking long...5 minute waits before you can respawn sometimes...

KOTOR. For some reason I just couldnt get into the game enough to keep playing it. Even though everyone has said time and time again that is was an excellent game.
I could never get into CS either, but then again after seeing what the game was back in the 90's I never bothered after playing it a couple times. I dont get into realistic FPS's.

Black & White - seem like I game I would just love but I could never get into it, even after a couple tries.

-every single good RTS.(i just can't get into RTS games even though I would like to want to)

-americas army

-any mmorpg after ultima online

Stalker. The more mods I throw at it to make it interesting, the less and less it becomes entertaining.

guild wars for me.

bought it . sold it
bought it . sold it
bought it and expansions, still only level 11, might sell it again.

not matter how I try I just cant get over the instanced feeling the game has.

I had a hard time getting into Quake 4.
Loved the game in general for say MP, but the SP got repetitive where bots almost did the same thing all the time.
The story wasnt bad though

there is a single player in bf2? I know there is but its just a simulation to online... its not like missions..

far cry for me as well. i can see its a good game, but it really doesn't draw me in. i've tried many times but keep losing my saved games which is really weird since i back EVERYTHING up on dvd's...

black and white was a steaming pile. somehow it had this addictive quality about it though. i played it for 2 days and *hated every minute* but somehow kept wanting to play. then i came to my senses and promptly uninstalled that tripe.

Warcraft 3 and WoW.

I had fun with Starcraft single and multiplayer, but it only lasted a few months before I moved on. Warcraft 3, I made it up to halfway through the NE campaign before getting bored. I think it's because I just don't like the long blocks of time RTS games take now, all the building up of forces and super-rapid-fire click fests to marshal units in the right directions. I just don't like RTS games in general anymore I guess, aside from Company of Heroes. And C&C: Generals, only because I could blow up terrorist AI in Co-op.

I didn't like WoW either.

It was too hard to go back to standard MMO play after City of Heroes. I had exhausted all the content in CoH, that game just didn't have enough going on besides the PvE. So I came to WoW, which had a huge amount to do, but I just didn't have any fun doing it. I don't have the time or patience to grind, I need to have fun while I do it. I just came from an MMO where I could fly, leap across the skyline, blast away crowds of enemies at a time. I was a superhero! Then I started WoW and I had to fight enemies one-on-one, and walk on the ground. I could easily see why WoW is a great game, it was plainly obvious to me, but I just wasn't having fun with it.

Oblivion, i tried to play it 3 times but i just couldnt do it, i still havent finished the game

For me, I'd have to say Counterstrike (all of them) and Battlefield 2. While I truly love both games when I do well, I get really disappointed with the game when I do poorly. It's the game's fault when I die, not mine because I am a smart person and I play very well.
In counterstrike, once in awhile I run into someone who is better than me and I get shot and I get sad. I ask people to stop shooting me but they laugh at me and don't listen because they do it again. In battlefield 2, I enjoy shooting people and other vehicles when I'm in a vehicle and I get happy when I kill someone but when my vehicle gets destroyed and I die, I also get sad.
:( :( :(

In consoles, I'd have to say Gears of War. I don't know why I keep popping that game into my 360 about once every two weeks. I shoot people in the mouth with a shottie and they don't die. Then I get sniped from the otherside of the map by a random onlooker. I don't know why I haven't broken the disk yet.

WoW - Didnt last more than a week before I hated it.

Guildwars - a day. it was like a watered down WoW

Doom 3 - Played it for about 30 mins before I got bored with the scripted events.DAMN FLASHLIGHT!

Quake 4 - same as above, nothing pisses me off more than suprise attacks that you cant avoid. spawning zombies on my head dont = fun.

Far cry - still dont see what the hype was about this game. just feels like another FPS to me.

Neverwinter Nights 2 - Recycled all the content from the first game.I barely made it past the character creation screen.

Oblivion - Fun game, its my motovation to upgrade my computer, sep I need a new car more so I havent touched it since.

KOTOR 2 - Stopped playing it after 30 mins. Was addicted to FFXI at the time. Now I cant stumach looking at my TV...

Add just about every other game released the past 2 years sep COD2, BF2 and HL2 to the list too.

I'm going to have to go with BnW 1&2 as well.

It seems like a really fun game and playing it feels like I could really love the game, but I just couldn't get used to the controls.

Any MMORPG ever.

Diablo 2 was the only one I attempted... got my guy to lvl17 and quit... it was that or starcraft cause I was at my cousins house all the time and they only have Macs... so we were stuck playing... the apple logo puzzle, diablo, or starcraft...

They even had trainers for Macs back then haha...

In general MMORPGs... I can get into most FPSs... depends on the multiplayer gameplay, if it's fun... I'll keep playing, if it's buggy/laggy/too big of a learning curve then I won't bother with it.

I should be able to hop into any FPS and get atleast top 3 in a 20 person server, regardless of the game. This is true in TFC, DMC, HL, HL2DM, Q3, UT2004 etc.

DoD and CS... I was good in the beta days when shit wasn't as "balanced" which made it more fun imo... Jeepathon2k... such a shitty map.... but oddly entertaining...

Now I can't stand CS or DoD...

Back