What parts do I need to overclock an AMD x2 3800?

DVDdude

n00b
I want to build an AMD x2 system and overclock it. I am thinking either a x2 3800 or x2 4200. I will be using a 7800gtx for the video card.

I would like to get at least 2.4 ghz out of the overclock.

My question is this :

Which motherboard, ram, power, and cpu cooler do I need to get?

I am leaning towards MSI k8n neo4 or Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, Seasonic s12-500 watt power, and Thermaltake xp-90 with a medium Panaflo fan.

Are these good enough for overclocking the x2?

I would like 2 x 1gb of ram but I have NO IDEA which brand or speed to get. Can anyone help me out? For the ram, I would like to stay under $250.

alright. mobo ABIT AN8-SLI or DFI SLI-D. for a PSU get a Fortron BlueStorm or an OCZ PowerStream or if you wanna go all out, get a PC P&C psu. for ram. get 2x1gig sticks of Crucial Ballistix P4000 stuff. for a CPU cooler, get an XP120 and a Delta Fan or Panaflo fan or an XP90 with a Delta or Panaflo fan or an XP90-c

my money is for 2x1gb of crucial value, the extra cash doesn't get you any more performance with the expensive stuff.

alright sure, the money doesnt buy you anything extra. except 240 2.5-2-2 and 270 3-3-3 and higher vs 250 3-3-3

and what will that buy you in real world performance? Anything? Not much, given that the A64's memory controller is on chip, overclocking your memory yields little to no real world performance increases. I've got memory@270 1.5-2-2-0, and it really doesn't mean much except in superpi/sandra. Plus, the crucial value still OC's pretty decent.

agreed. im used to being a benchmark whore, so i hafta have good clocking stuff. its a curse. the crucial value stuff is awesome aswell. crucial does a good job with the value rams.

I've had good luck w/asus sli board, but ordered a dfi sli-dr to wring every last drop out of this chip. An xp-120 will give you a bit more cooling around the cpu socket (ram.mosfets,etc). The Seasonic psu is a good choice, But look at the Seasonic 600w for $135, the Hiper sli 580w for $130, or the OCZ Powerstream 600w for $189. I'm guessing your doing video work and prolly have a few hd's and optical drives, and if you ever sli the 7800gtx, the extra power will be there later. As for the ram, either the crucial value, patriot 3200ll, or even corsair xms can be had for $250 and less.

Back