What partitioning tool do you recommend?

plasma

Gawd
I'm going to help a friend set his notebook up to dual boot XP and Vista, and was wondering what you recommend for partitioning the drives?

If it helps its an HP so it has the recovery console with XP etc.. I want to split the remaining space on the drive and use the recovery console to install XP on both partitions and then upgrade one to Vista

For a free solution with minor learning curve, GParted is just fine, especially off the LiveCD which is pretty cool.

If you want commercial software, Acronis Disk Director is pretty much the only game in town nowadays. Partition Magic is stuck at version 8.05, has been stuck for close to 3 years now, and it looks like Norton/Symantec has no intentions of ever updating it to work with newer filesystems (on the Linux side) nor handling issues with the "new and improved" Vista bootloader that differentiates it from the Win2K/WinXP versions.

Just as a heads up to anyone who may be curious... the GParted live cd works with the Vista bootloader just fine, no problems at all, at least none that I have come across.

Norton partition magic ... I got the full version and I like it. :D

I used to use it, but it is horribly outdated. I have run into several occasions where partition magic didn't support the file system. On top of that it doesn't work with Vista. Until they update it (if ever) it is rather useless if you have Vista or any of the newer Linux files systems. Guess what OSes I am using ;)

I used to use it, but it is horribly outdated. I have run into several occasions where partition magic didn't support the file system. On top of that it doesn't work with Vista. Until they update it (if ever) it is rather useless if you have Vista or any of the newer Linux files systems. Guess what OSes I am using ;)

Vista?? Well Im currently running XP...and yes...I find partition magic outdated and a little useless.

...and yes...I find partition magic outdated and a little useless.

Give GParted a try.. I'm sure you'll like it.

As bbz_Ghost said, there is a bit of a learning curve... if you have any problems.. pm me and I'll be happy to help:)

Back