What OSs are out there?

Halasham

n00b
With the exception of one laptop running Apple Snow Leopard years ago I've exclusively had computers running on a Windows. Beyond Apple and Microsoft OSs the only other option I've heard of is Linux and Unix.
Having tried to get use to Windows 10 for a few years now I'm thinking once I have the issue in my other post dealt with I want to be rid of it. So anyone know something that'll work well for a gaming PC and is ideally fairly easy to get used to?

With the exception of one laptop running Apple Snow Leopard years ago I've exclusively had computers running on a Windows. Beyond Apple and Microsoft OSs the only other option I've heard of is Linux and Unix.
Having tried to get use to Windows 10 for a few years now I'm thinking once I have the issue in my other post dealt with I want to be rid of it. So anyone know something that'll work well for a gaming PC and is ideally fairly easy to get used to?
Apple OS and Linux are based on Unix but they branched off it a long time ago. But in the modern era, on x86, Windows and Linux are your primary options.

Windows is still really the best OS for gaming but Linux is having a lot of compatibility work being done over the past couple of years. Check out Level1Linux on YouTube for some information on that.

As for what version of Linux you should run? Ask 10 people and you'll probably get 10 different answers, so good luck with that. I would recommend something that is designed for beginners that has a very large support base like Ubuntu. After playing with that, test out some of the other distros.

There's a specific sub-forum under operating systems for Linux here which would be a good place to start for asking more specific questions about Linux and what is best for gaming.

Last edited:
Technically there are ways to run
mac os
So the answer is suck it up get used to windows or go super hardcore and start learning penguin.

The official list is
1. Windows (you will be using this if you plan to game.)
2. Linux (limited driver support limited game support you will be using a windows emulator to run most games.) Lots of flavors steam even had a go at a version.
3. Chromium/android you can play cellular phone apps and android emulators for consoles or stream to this pc from a real pc
4. Mac os you can hack osx onto most hardware pretty easily. Limited driver and games jury rigged support.

So yeah bottom line use windows or join the console gamers.

How so? Or is that just the generic blanket statement that is supposed to occur in these threads?
with linux there is a bit of learning curve don't expect everything to just work there are a lot of fiddly bits that you must navigate. Only to find it just won't work until this patch that may never come out gets released. Generally expect less dev support better 3rd party support though.

Linux gaming is improving, but regardless of what a few hardcore penguin-ites say, it isn't on par with Windows. It's anyone's guess on how long it will take to catch up, or if it will ever be equal. That being said, if your hardware is compatible, and the games you want to play are as well, there's no reason you couldn't make the switch. Just be aware that Linux has many strengths, user-friendliness isn't one of them. There is a learning curve.

Back