What OS is on Your Dually?

XP Pro on my Dual Xeon x4000 and Server 2003 Standard on my Opteron 165. 2003 seems to be the most stable of the bunch, seems a little slower though.

pe3046 said:
XP Pro on my Dual Xeon x4000 and Server 2003 Standard on my Opteron 165. 2003 seems to be the most stable of the bunch, seems a little slower though.

I've experienced it being just a tad slower than Windows XP. Not much. If you have enough ram, or run it on a retardedly powerfull machine, it shouldn't be an issue.

My dual Opteron 246 runs it, and is noticably slower in common Windows tasks than it is running Windows XP. Of course I've only got 1GB of ram for that machine.

Dual Precison 450 Dual Xeon 2.4Ghz on Server 2003. VMWare GSX Server also running another Server 2003, Netware 6.5 and XP pro.
Athlon X2 3800+ @ 2.4Ghz on XP SP2 32bit.

I run Arch linux on my dual Athlon MP 1600+ system. I used to be a slackware user but found Arch to have everything slackware did, plus a nicer package managment system. Its been running for about a year now with no problems as my fileserver/webserver.

I have 2 dualies at home, dual celeron @500 mhz on a bp6 and a dual athlon mp 2400+, both run debian. :)

dual cellie 366 on a BP6, running Gentoo. I'm a major linux noob so I have this tendency to break it and then have to learn how to fix it :D Also, when you don't update anything for 7 months because lack of internet, just emerge --system --update does a good job of breaking things for you :D

Windows XP: 2xP3 550@616
Windows 2004: 2xAXP 2000

Sorry, they should be running Linux. :(

The P3 system is my girlfriends, and the Athlon system is a server of mine at work.

Slartibartfast said:
dual cellie 366 on a BP6, running Gentoo. I'm a major linux noob so I have this tendency to break it and then have to learn how to fix it :D Also, when you don't update anything for 7 months because lack of internet, just emerge --system --update does a good job of breaking things for you :D

Do you know about etc-update? Because if you didn't do that after the updates, of course things are going to break!

slithy said:
Do you know about etc-update? Because if you didn't do that after the updates, of course things are going to break!

etc-update can break things too hehe... Especially after you change your USE flags and update everything like I did.

I dual boot my dualie 1Ghz box with FreeBSD 6.0 and Ubuntu 5.10

I think I am starting to like Ubuntu more as a general 'desktop' OS, since it really was a bitch to setup alot of things in freebsd with regards to a full desktop experience, like easy burning of cd's, some desktop eye candy, system temp monitoring, digital output from my soundcard, blah blah.

FreeBSD rocks on the server side (all my servers run one of the BSD's), but I think ubuntu takes the crown for my favorite desktop OS...its the perfect blend of usability and functionality that I want in an open source OS

Sir-Fragalot said:
Another AMD tech tour bundle?

Nope. Got both OSes through friends.

I was out of the country during the tech tour and normally live in bumfuck, USA so those things tend to bypass me.

Moog said:
Nope. Got both OSes through friends.

I was out of the country during the tech tour and normally live in bumfuck, USA so those things tend to bypass me.

That sucks. It was a good deal. Two Opteron 246's and a Tyan K8SD Pro (S2882-D) and Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition for $500.00. At the time, the 246's were still around $300 each. So it was a much better deal than it would be now.

That's what I built my file server from.

I am using Windows 2003 Small Business Server Premium Edition. Damn, thats a mouthful!

multi boot on dual opteron 240's w/ 1GB ram and 320 Gb hard drive space partitioned to death

play

win xp pro gaming, surfing, music creation, general relaxation install

semi-work

win xp 64 testing the os/drivers to see if i make the switch
vista 64 testing the os
vista 32 testing the os

work

server 2003 non-64 ent w/ exchange & sql test environment
win advanced server 2k w/ 32 terminal server cals running sql server test enviornment
server 2003 ent 64 w/ virtual server 2005 running win 98 or dos/win3.11 depending on older app i need to run

wetware_interface said:
multi boot on dual opteron 240's w/ 1GB ram and 320 Gb hard drive space partitioned to death

play

win xp pro gaming, surfing, music creation, general relaxation install

semi-work

win xp 64 testing the os/drivers to see if i make the switch
vista 64 testing the os
vista 32 testing the os

work

server 2003 non-64 ent w/ exchange & sql test environment
win advanced server 2k w/ 32 terminal server cals running sql server test enviornment
server 2003 ent 64 w/ virtual server 2005 running win 98 or dos/win3.11 depending on older app i need to run

God I didn't want to list work machines. :eek:

There are so damned many with so many OS's.

Sir-Fragalot said:
God I didn't want to list work machines. :eek:

There are so damned many with so many OS's.

yeah but this is work related on my personal machine.
i defineately don't want to list work machinery as it would take forever just to type it all out.

Which Dually? :D

Sun Ultra 2 Enterprise (Dual Ultrasparc II 300Mhz)- Solaris 10
Sun Sparcstation 20 (Dual Hypersparc 150Mhz) - NetBSD 2.0
Sun Sparcstation 10 (Dual Supersparc II 75Mhz)- NetBSD 2.0
Intel PR440FX (Dual Pentium II Overdrive 333Mhz) - Gentoo
Gigabyte GS101 (Dual Pentium III 1Ghz) - Gentoo
Gigabyte GS101 (Dual Pentium III 1Ghz) - No OS at this time

airbatica said:
Which Dually? :D

Sun Ultra 2 Enterprise (Dual Ultrasparc II 300Mhz)- Solaris 10
Sun Sparcstation 20 (Dual Hypersparc 150Mhz) - NetBSD 2.0
Sun Sparcstation 10 (Dual Supersparc II 75Mhz)- NetBSD 2.0
Intel PR440FX (Dual Pentium II Overdrive 333Mhz) - Gentoo
Gigabyte GS101 (Dual Pentium III 1Ghz) - Gentoo
Gigabyte GS101 (Dual Pentium III 1Ghz) - No OS at this time
dual overdrives...now thats sweet right there :)

Hi all. I am planning to build my first dually, still undecided on XEON's or Opterons. My single proc machines usually use Linux (FC4). Anyone had any expirience in running FC4 on Optys or Xeons, also any linux distros that support NUMA other than SUSE??
Thanks

racebanner said:
Hi all. I am planning to build my first dually, still undecided on XEON's or Opterons. My single proc machines usually use Linux (FC4). Anyone had any expirience in running FC4 on Optys or Xeons, also any linux distros that support NUMA other than SUSE??
Thanks

Start another thread for a question like this, your answers are less likely to get lost in the midst of posts regarding the original thread.

Right now Windows XP. However, I am about to toast windows and install Gentoo on the whole hard drive.

windows xp pro, not putting linux down I know it has its strengths but for me a home user that basically users a computer to play games and serf the internet linux is a bore :)

On the dual Athlon MP1900's - Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
Soon to be on the Dual PIII 866's - Solaris 10 (formerly had Windows 2000 Advanced Server)

FreeBSD on the dual PII Xeon 450/2M.
FreeBSD on the dual PIII/500.
FreeBSD on the dual PIII/733.
FreeBSD on the six-way PII OverDrive 333.

Notice a pattern? :) I've ran Windows on most of these machines at some point, but they were boring that way.

I just got another p3 866 duallie and migrated my Debian box to that. Now my brother has the 933, and I'm gonna try to talk him into Solaris 10 so I can see secondhand how Raid-Z works. It sounds promising. And fast :D

I have Gentoo with kernel 2.6.9 on my Dually (2x 350 MHz PIIs).
Runs DHCP, DNS, etc without a hitch.

penguin said:
I have Gentoo with kernel 2.6.9 on my Dually (2x 350 MHz PIIs).
Runs DHCP, DNS, etc without a hitch.

I was curious to know if there was any benefit of running a DNS server on a home network? Would it help when my ISP's takes a dive?

justin82 said:
I was curious to know if there was any benefit of running a DNS server on a home network? Would it help when my ISP's takes a dive?
I run my own DNS server at home (tied to dynamic DNS---real dynamic DNS---but that's kind of besides the point). When you have a whole pile of machines it's very handy to be able to control their names from a centralized location instead of having to change hosts files or the like on each machine.

As far as your ISP's DNS servers taking a dive, it can help. If you add other DNS servers to your forwarders list besides your ISP's, your DNS server will look to other servers when it forwards on requests if your ISP's DNS servers aren't reachable. DNS resolution may slow down a bit, but they'll still get the job done.

Dual Athlon MP 2000's - Ubuntu 5.10, FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE, Windows XP SP2 (vmware)
Dual PIII Coppermine 1ghz - FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE
(2x) Dual PII 450Mhz - FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE
Quad PPro 200Mhz - NetBSD 3.0
Dual PPro 200Mhz - Slackware
Dual 133Mhz - OpenBSD

I don't actually run all these machines all the time, mostly just the Dual Athlon machine (just built, check it) and the dualie 1ghz (my web/mail/dns server)

I couldn't fit some of them in my dorm room if I tried (the quad PPro is large and in charge, let me tell you)

toymachineman19 said:
six-way?? as in like six PIIs in one machine? :eek:
Yes. If you're bored, look up the ALR Revolution 6x6. I have 6x PII OverDrive 333s in mine instead of PPro 200s. It's not a complete machine; I still need to build a case for it one of these days.

Back