what 'old school' game would you like to see a sequel or new version?

3D Lunar Lander!!

I had a great looking 3D version by Psygnosis in 1999 but it had a bug which stopped a very early level completing.
Tried on multiple machines with the same problem and years later on new hardware and still didnt work.
I just tried it on Win7 but it doesnt complete loading and quits to Windows eventually.
I'm so sad.

the original Descent is a definate yes.....Decent Freespace sucked, nothing like the original, i wanted to eb able to play it on Win 7....but alas it's too old....

More than anything... System Shock 1/2 (not that Bioshock crap. -_- )

I'd also like to see proper sequels for these others...
NOLF2
Duke Nukem 3D
X-Com
X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter
Deus Ex
Jedi Knight series
Max Payne

YES SIR. Along with Syndicate which was mentioned previously.

Duke Nukem Forever has been a hopeful-yet-joke for so long now that I'm not sure I care...if DNF came out next month, yeah I'd probably check it out. I just don't think there's any way that the game could avoid skepticism and disappointment given the time frame. But the others I would certainly be up for, especially the next NOLF, Deus Ex, and Max Payne. MPIII has been overdue for quite some time.

Mr. Wolf said:
I'd love to see Deus Ex remade with today's latest/greatest software technologies. Don't fuck with the story, just give the game the best graphics available. Kinda like what Black Mesa is supposed to do for the original Half-Life.

I agree, that would be awesome. But I would also like to see an original game that was either a prequel to Deus Ex, or a sequel to Deus Ex: IW, that didn't suck. I can't believe this franchise hasn't been revisited.

Descent with its 3D axis flying = win
Descent ..... I fear we will never see a descent remake though, it's just too damn complicated for the kids today. Try to explain trichording and why it was so great all you get is a 'durrr huh?' nowadays.
I'd like to second some good ideas from others first: .........Descent and/or Freespace.
the original Descent is a definate yes.....Decent Freespace sucked, nothing like the original, i wanted to eb able to play it on Win 7....but alas it's too old....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Descent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Descent_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Zero-G_shooters

Two Descent sequals (Descent 2 and Descent 3) were made and they were all quite good - all staying true to the "6DOF fighting in mines" concept.
(unlike the Descent Freespace games, which were space-flight sims)

Descent1 and Descent2 are old DOS games. On modern computers they are generally played via community-made modern remakes such as D2X, DXX, DLE-XP etc. (see the communities for more info)

Descent 3 still works on modern computers right outof the box afaik, but you will need a 3rd party multiplayer tracker program to see multiplayer games (the community maintains various of these, they work quite well).
It is still played multiplayer, and the community is still quite active.
AFAIK the 3 most active English-speaking communities are at www.DescentBB.com www.DescentBB.net and www.PlanetDescent.com
There are also various active IRC channels relevant to it.
(there are also some very active German speaking communities)

The community also keeps track of other old & new 6DOF games that are similar to Descent. There are also some Descent-like MODS for various popular game engines such as Doom3, and the various Unreal Engines.

3D Lunar Lander!!

I had a great looking 3D version by Psygnosis in 1999 but it had a bug which stopped a very early level completing.
Tried on multiple machines with the same problem and years later on new hardware and still didnt work.
I just tried it on Win7 but it doesnt complete loading and quits to Windows eventually.
I'm so sad.

For Psygnosis Lander to work, in general it must be run in C:/Program Files/Lander (it can tend to hard-default back to this if it encounters an error) and run in Win98 compatability mode.
If you are having trouble with a single mission, i can give you a savegame saved after that mission that should help you out.
Send me a PM with your email or Instant Messenger nick.

Psygnosis Lander is one of my most favourite games.
I have tried to keep track of any game that is similar:
http://openlander.wordpress.com
http://openlander.wordpress.com/2008/03/25/history-of-3d-gravity-games/ note: also see comments on this page for a vast list
http://flyinirons.wordpress.com/

PROPER remake of X-COM
And as posted before.....XCom would be great remake(s).
I'd also like to see proper sequels for .... X-Com

You guys might be interested in this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM#Spiritual_successors

Dungeon Siege - not all that old school, but I'd love to see a new one. Had a blast with that game, co-oped the whole thing and the expansion at a weekend-long LAN with two friends. 'Twas great.

FreeLancer !! I wont believe Microsoft cares about PC gaming until it revives this gem :p

also

AeroBiz Supersonic... genesis, snes airline sim game.

effing awsome anyone who played knows what I talken about :D

Sheit, that game is awesome.

I dont know, but I'd love to see a new Myth: The Fallen Lords game, 1 and 2 were awesome, 3 not so much.:(

Master of Magic. Still don't see how this game didn't have a sequel yet.

Duke Nukem.... HAHAHAHAHA :D

DOOM

List could go on...

I grew up with all the original FPS games.

Yeah, more NOLF type secret agent games on PC.
No crappy gamepad only versions.

Freelancer and other space explory/adventure/fight type games for sure.

Remember the Atari 2600 consoles Adventure game.
It would make for a pretty small play area but it would be great to see it realised in 3D, dragons and all.

Planescape Torment 2!

I still carry my last save game from format to format, and transfering it on every hard drive I had since finishing it all those years ago!

I'm an optimist. :)

I mostly want graphical and audio updates to some timeless classics to make them awesome(er): Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Tie Fighter.

One game on my mind that I'd like a real update for is a Microprose game called Lightspeed (an expanded version was called Hyperspeed).

Original Descent sure was a good one.

I spent insane hours playing Quake 1 over dial up...so much fun. Especially some modded servers like Requiem mod.

I've spent the past year or so enjoying Quake Live...the free online multiplayer version of Quake 3.

For driving games back then, I enjoyed Microsofts Monster Truck Madness. Motocross Madness was very fun too.

wow I can't believe someone remembers Monster Truck Madness

now someone will come along and describe Battle Chess in vivid detail any moment now . . . .

For driving games back then, I enjoyed Microsofts Monster Truck Madness. Motocross Madness was very fun too.

Monster Truck Madness was awesome, though my first PC (a 486) couldn't play the game in SVGA. :(

Motocross Madness and MTM2 were insanely beautiful on my first 3D card, the Diamond Monster 3D II.

Krenum said:
Twisted Metal

One of my all-time favorite games for the Playstation. So many other car combat games tried to capture TM's magic, and failed. I'd love a modern TM or Interstate `76.

One of my all-time favorite games for the Playstation. So many other car combat games tried to capture TM's magic, and failed. I'd love a modern TM or Interstate `76.

Apparently there working on a new one for the PS3 but I haven't heard any information on it in awhile.

I would like to see Baldurs Gate+TotSC remade - nothing fancy, it's just that it feels clunky and doesn't play nice with extended graphics modes. I would be happy to see this and Planescape:Torment reworked with an upgraded Infinity engine, but not going fully 3D or using the newer AD&D rulesets.

Totally agree with the idea of Betrayal at Krondor - excellent candidate for a full overhaul. I also tried re-playing it recently and I just could not get back into it.

There are any number of the really old-skool AD&D games by SSI that I would love to see (again, probably using an updated Infinity engine), but a couple were re-made badly in recent years so perhaps best to leave them be. I think the AD&D license is in the wrong hands right now.

Few other ideas:

Elite
Shadowrun (SNES version)
Panzer Dragoon

A lot of the older games are sorta timeless imo and updating them for the sake of prettier graphics alone doesn't hold much value to me. Jet Set Willy isn't really going to benefit, and I still enjoy playing Zombies Ate My Neighbours on ZSNES. Tomb Raider Anniversary should serve as a reminder that a remake needs to do more than look nice.

I would like to see a sequal to a sequal, which is No One Lives Forever 2.

Master of Orion
Simant

Privateer
Wing Commander

Hell yes to these.

There have been a number of MOO-like games over the years, but I don't think any have the glory that MOO and MOO 2 had.The most recent that I liked was Armada 2526.

Sim Ant was a great game. I remember spending lots of time taking over that yard/house. Death to the red menace! I hope a newer remake involves more kinds of bugs. Beetle "battle tanks" and Bumblebee "transports".

There was once discussion of a Privateer MMO. The engine that was almost used for it was later turned into the MMO Jumpgate (which was good despite 3DO messing it up). People have redone the game, but it's more like a remake of the original. Privateer 3 was scripted to take place after Prophecy, but was canceled in 98.

Wing Commander was a great saga. Even if the movie was crap, the animated TV show was pretty good, and the books even better (shame the author of the story line died). The fact that the fanbase has kept the game alive with remakes and such proves that there is a huge market out there for it. In fact, you might want to take a look at WC Saga and play the demo. It's quite fun and well made/scripted for a fan project.

CARMAGEDDON!

I want an updated carmageddon so bad...

Don't see Crusader No Regret yet

Also I agree that it has been too long since anything approaching X-com has been made

CARMAGEDDON!

I want an updated carmageddon so bad...

Hell yes, I would love to see a new one. I don't think they could pull it off though. The populace is too PC these days, the good old days of vehicular manslaughter are over I'm afraid :(

Final Fantasy 7

If its would be anything like that turd Advent Children , no thanks.

Back