What, no talk or anything about the Windows 10 "Neon" thing yet? I am disappoint

• Thread starter Deleted member 245375
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 245375

While I'm certainly no fan of Windows 10 and bash it pretty much every chance I get (ok, I do let a lot of chances slide because it's just boring and tired after a while) I'm surprised to not see any discussion or talk about this "all new graphical update" thing they're working on, supposedly to be introduced with Redstone 3 later this year while the Redstone 2 aka "Creator's Update" will be sometime in April:

https://mspoweruser.com/project-neon-windows-10-first-look/

Reminds me some of the Zune music application interface when it existed a few years ago:

Zune_Library.jpg

I kinda liked that software, actually, it was pretty damned nice in the short time it existed (I think I still have the installer archived someplace just in case I happen upon a 64GB black Zune HD in excellent condition someday). Even so, I find that type of interface overhaul infinitely more interesting than what Windows 10 actually ended up with.

Now I'm not saying that I'll ever use Windows 10 on my own hardware - that's just not going to happen - but if they can clean up what I consider to be a mess of UI aspects then more power to 'em.

(for some reason the images I post sometimes don't show up for me unless I refresh the page - if that image above isn't showing up could someone let me know and I'll drop it on some other image host)

I had similar thoughts about Neon and Zune. I still have 2 Zune 80 GB players and a Zune HD that work perfectly but there's no DRM service for them anymore. As far was Windows 10 goes, either you like or don't. At this point I've got so much stuff that works well under 10 the debate is pointless to me personally. On the kind of hardware in my sig rig, 10's got nothing to touch it.

You can put lipstick on on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Their UI has been broken since 8 launched. There's no excuse for waiting this long to actually try and get it back to where Aero glass was.

Windows 10 is dead. Their December figures were pathetic. Windows 7 outgrew Windows 10 almost 2:1... you can't even buy Windows 7 directly anymore.

I moved all the computers in the house to Linux Mint back in October. All my hardware just works. All my favorite games are Linux native. 1/3 of my Steam library and 1/4 of all titles in the store are Linux native. Mint's UI was actually designed for my desktop hardware instead of a phablet. Stop putting up with Microsoft's crap, you don't need them anymore.

Reactions: Meeho
like this

Their UI has been broken since 8 launched. There's no excuse for waiting this long to actually try and get it back to where Aero glass was.

Windows 10 is dead. Their December figures were pathetic. Windows 7 outgrew Windows 10 almost 2:1... you can't even buy Windows 7 directly anymore.

I moved all the computers in the house to Linux Mint back in October. All my hardware just works. All my favorite games are Linux native. 1/3 of my Steam library and 1/4 of all titles in the store are Linux native. Mint's UI was actually designed for my desktop hardware instead of a phablet. Stop putting up with Microsoft's crap, you don't need them anymore.

Dude, are you a automatic bot? Every time a Windows thread is started, this bot seems to be saying the exact same thing. Oh, and just in case you are not a bot, you can put lipstick on the Linux Desktop pig but, it is still a pig. :D

Also, this neon thing will probably cool to try out. That said, I good with where they are taking the interface, things just take time to merge.

Also, this neon thing will probably cool to try out. That said, I good with where they are taking the interface, things just take time to merge.
I'm not sure I am feeling the min/max/close buttons SOOO far off the title bar. The design tho is very interesting. The mail app looks really good, I hope whatever final form it takes doesn't stray too far from that.

Dude, are you a automatic bot? Every time a Windows thread is started, this bot seems to be saying the exact same thing.

What are you hoping to accomplish by insulting me? You're talking to one of the few people around here who actually tried to explain the concept of privilege escalation to all the idiots complaining about UAC back in the Vista days. Over the years I've gone from being a Windows fan to being completely disappointed. You and Heatlessun have shown up in every single thread that even mentions Microsoft since the Windows 8 beta to bury any criticism. Why?

Windows 10 is a terrible product. It's so awful it can't even compete with a 7 year old OS that isn't even sold anymore. They couldn't even give it away. Bringing back something kinda like Aero Glass isn't going to save this turd. Microsoft has become hostile towards desktop users and they're chasing Windows app store revenue that is never going to materialize. I never thought I'd be using Linux on the desktop at home in any real sense, but it has improved dramatically in the last couple years. As I've said, all my hardware works, all my favorite games work, 1/3 of my Steam Library is Linux native and there's no phablet crap or data mining. I'm convinced that we have a viable alternative to Windows now. I moved all my computers over to Linux Mint back in October. At this point I don't think I'd shift them all back to Windows even if Microsoft released a proper successor to 7.

I'm not sure I am feeling the min/max/close buttons SOOO far off the title bar. The design tho is very interesting. The mail app looks really good, I hope whatever final form it takes doesn't stray too far from that.

I noticed that as well, I'm thinking that's not how it'll be because that's actually a standard control for modern UI apps.

As I've said, all my hardware works, all my favorite games work, 1/3 of my Steam Library is Linux native and there's no phablet crap or data mining. I'm convinced that we have a viable alternative to Windows now. I moved all my computers over to Linux Mint back in October. At this point I don't think I'd shift them all back to Windows even if Microsoft released a proper successor to 7.

Windows 10 works with all my hardware and virtually all of my Steam library of 250 titles. Heck I even got the original Max Payne from 15 years ago to run perfectly.

Reactions: Void
like this
I haven't seen anything online which makes this Neon thing go WOW.......not very impressive Windows 8's borders and windows looked better.

More interested in the Blue light reduction filter than anything.

So you can only play 1/3 of the games you own on Steam and that seems reasonable to you?

Okay.

So you can only play 1/3 of the games you own on Steam and that seems reasonable to you?

Okay.

Absolutely. Last time I tried Linux the number of games availible was effectively zero. Now it's 1/3 my Steam library and growing. All my hardware just works. All my favorite games are Linux native. I already have more than enough games to occupy my free time, and that's not including games that can be easily played through Wine.

Reactions: Meeho
like this

Okay.

It's entirely possible that the 1/3 is basically the main titles DeathFromBelow really enjoys...

I've downloaded a ton of games under Windows via Steam over the years, out of all those titles I probably play about five of them, when I've got time, which is hardly ever. Based on what I read on the [H] news page, Steam recently enjoyed 14 million concurrent users with CS:GO and Dota 2 being extremely popular, ironically both titles are available on Steam under Linux. I think that's impressive considering the wasteland that was gaming under Linux only 2.5 years ago.

Try not to be so sarcastic, there's no prerequisite that states [H] member = Windows 10.

Last edited:
Zac Bowden at Windows Central said in his recent video the checkbox to block drivers is only available in Windows 10 Pro or better. So it's no different than before, it just has a GUI element instead of changing through GPO. Still not sure if the registry setting works or not on Home.

Zac Bowden at Windows Central said in his recent video the checkbox to block drivers is only available in Windows 10 Pro or better. So it's no different than before, it just has a GUI element instead of changing through GPO. Still not sure if the registry setting works or not on Home.

It's so gawd damn annoying how automatic driver updates are a nightmare to disable on Windows 10 Home, I hope they do rectify this issue.

The ability to delay updates and not download drivers through Windows Update will not be available in the Home Edition. I know there will be a lot of complaining about that and I'm not entirely sure why the difference, maybe for differentiation and to force people to by the Pro edition.

The ability to delay updates and not download drivers through Windows Update will not be available in the Home Edition. I know there will be a lot of complaining about that and I'm not entirely sure why the difference, maybe for differentiation and to force people to by the Pro edition.

Damn it! It's such a PITA not having a simple way to disable the rotten feature.

Last edited:
Just allow me to customize the colors and remove the bloody blinding white everywhere !!

WSUS is not a solution for average computing users in their own home.

Back