What new video card to get?

ebduncan

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all.

First let me start with saying that nvidia cards are not a option. Since i have 3 1080p monitors in eyefinity.

Current video cards are two 6870's 1gb in crossfire. I run into serious v-ram limitations at 5760x1080 and well performance at those resolution is limited to older games.

Most modern games i play at 1080p on a single monitor at the moment t anyways, since i don't have quite the performance to go to higher resolutions with 3 screens. So maxing out 1080 gives me the best quality settings.

I was thinking about going 7970. However i don't have a problem using crossfire, So i was thinking about waiting for the 7870 launch later this month to do crossfire of those.

Suggestions? Rest of rig is in sig.

Last edited:
Well not sure why nvidia is out of the question just because you are running 3 monitors. You can get the same effect out of 2 nvidia cards called nvidia surround... but if you want amd then the obvious would be to go 7970 and if you need more performance in the future then you can add another for crossfire.

At that resolution I'd go for a 7950 3gb and clock the nuts off it. Crossfire is a lot of fun but trust me, you won't regret going back to a solid single card.

I'm aware i could run two nivida cards or a single gtx590 for surround.

The reason for no nivida cards is simple, they are horrible bit coin miners. Even with the coin price drop its free $$, considering i don't pay for electric.

Yes a single card solution would be ideal, but its hard to ignore the performance advantages of crossfire.

I looked at the 7950's, but i would need to overclock the snot outta it, and well that requires getting a good clocker, don't want to buy a 7950 and get stuck with a dud. Manly why i was looking at the 7970.

I really want to see some reviews of the 7870's

Back