What new Nvidia card is comparable to SLI 670 PE OC cards?

NathanP2007

[H]ard|Gawd
So as can be seen in my Signature, I own two MSI N670 PE 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card's and so far they work pretty damn solid in BF4 (1080P, very high settings) and Dragon Age Inquisition and such.

However considering I can get $300+ if I sold both of them; is there a single card in that ~$300 range by Nvidia right now that performs the same or out-performs my current setup?

How I see it, one of the biggest reasons to upgrade (assuming there is a card that performs to the same level or better for around $300) is new cards have double the VRAM. I realize games are getting packed with features and more and more visual detail (realistic hair, realistic debris blowing around, etc) that GPU's with 2GB's of VRAM are going to start bottle-necking their performance cause of it if they haven't already. Another advantage of a new card; a new warranty and hopefully a longer life (mine have 3 fairly light years on them).

Thanks

The 970 GT-x should be comparable, but it only has 3.5GB of VRAM.

The 970 GT-x should be comparable, but it only has 3.5GB of VRAM.

The GTX970 has 4GB, but the last 512MB data trasnfer rate is nerfed, just fyi.
Honestly though, I would go with a GTX980 so as to not mess with the nerfed memory.

A GTX980 would also be closer to being on par with two GTX670's in SLI, imo.

The GTX970 has 4GB, but the last 512MB data trasnfer rate is nerfed, just fyi.
Honestly though, I would go with a GTX980 so as to not mess with the nerfed memory.

A GTX980 would also be closer to being on par with two GTX670's in SLI, imo.

Yeah but, a GTX 980 is $600+ ... right? Thats twice what i'd get for my SLI 670's and you'r saying it would be on par with my 670's in SLI? As in not better than? For $600 i'd hope it would whip my 670 SLI setup like it was the chick in 50 shades...i was hoping for a $300 card that can do what my SLI 670's do...apparently i need to wait a few more generations for that to happen.

Yeah but, a GTX 980 is $600+ ... right? Thats twice what i'd get for my SLI 670's and you'r saying it would be on par with my 670's in SLI? As in not better than? For $600 i'd hope it would whip my 670 SLI setup like it was the chick in 50 shades...i was hoping for a $300 card that can do what my SLI 670's do...apparently i need to wait a few more generations for that to happen.

For $300, then your answer is gtx 970. It has more vram then your current setup anyways

I'm sure the 980's in sli will kick some serious ass. Cooler and use low power and has doube the ram. I'm loving mine. Overclocked to 1500/8000 there's nothing I cant push at 1440 res. Pinging 140 fps on my asus ROG Swift g-sync monitor with ultra settings in bf4. It's truly rediculous playing a 64 man server with locker or metro with a crap ton of explosions going off and not a stutter or slow down. Life like smooth as butter. Just nuts.

My kill-a-watt shows like 540ish watts max under serious gaming load. Just crazy.

The gigabyte g1 970 I used before the 980 was seriously quiet even at 100% fan use.. the 980's are alot louder.. 70% is doable for the 980.

Max tempt I seen on the 970 Overclocked at 1550 and max voltage was 55c.. of course I'm playing in the basement. ;)

My new reasoning is worry about today, today in the pc world. There will always be something faster around the corner No matter what.

If you wait for that new something, it will cost you a premium when it first comes out. So why wait another 3-6 months to pay over retail?

What's out from nvidia today will kick some serious ass in any game today. Worry about those games in the future when it comes.

If you feel the itch to upgrade then it's the time to do so. Get out while you can get a decent price for your cards now.. not when it's multiple generations old and no one will want it.

When games need 6-8gb ram then the prices will be lower on a good card for it thst will be faster then the next gen anyways.

I'm sure the 980's in sli will kick some serious ass. Cooler and use low power and has doube the ram. I'm loving mine. Overclocked to 1500/8000 there's nothing I cant push at 1440 res. Pinging 140 fps on my asus ROG Swift g-sync monitor with ultra settings in bf4. It's truly rediculous playing a 64 man server with locker or metro with a crap ton of explosions going off and not a stutter or slow down. Life like smooth as butter. Just nuts.

My kill-a-watt shows like 540ish watts max under serious gaming load. Just crazy.

To clarify my budget would be ~$300 total. The GTX 980 is $600+, therefore out of budget (let alone two in SLI).
What seems to fit my budget is a GTX-970 ( EVGA GTX-970 options but my question is; Does one of these outperform (or perform to the same level) my 670 PE/OC GPU's in SLI?

The gigabyte g1 970 I used before the 980 was seriously quiet even at 100% fan use.. the 980's are alot louder.. 70% is doable for the 980.

Max tempt I seen on the 970 Overclocked at 1550 and max voltage was 55c.. of course I'm playing in the basement. ;)

Yeah see above ^ comment as to the possibility of me getting a 980 (not gonna happen lol, twice my budget).

My new reasoning is worry about today, today in the pc world. There will always be something faster around the corner No matter what.

If you wait for that new something, it will cost you a premium when it first comes out. So why wait another 3-6 months to pay over retail?

What's out from nvidia today will kick some serious ass in any game today. Worry about those games in the future when it comes.

If you feel the itch to upgrade then it's the time to do so. Get out while you can get a decent price for your cards now.. not when it's multiple generations old and no one will want it.

When games need 6-8gb ram then the prices will be lower on a good card for it thst will be faster then the next gen anyways.

I dont disagree but i cant fully tell if you are for or against me doing what i'm thinking about doing lol. Personally i think its smart in the here and now and the future. Like you said i can sell my GPU's and still get really good $ for them ($300 for both) and then buy a new card (i'd assume a 970 if it performs at least as well as my 670 SLI cards). That new card has a warranty, doesn't have 3 years of life on it, and has some advantages (less power usage, more VRAM, is a single card instead of two, etc). It would also hold its value longer because its brand new and recently came out...compared to my 670's which in the next 12 months could drop drastically in value.

didn't know the budget sorry.. but budgets don't work for me as, as my wife would tell you.. your crazy! Lol

Have to checkout the benches for a 970 and see how the 670 sli fairs against it to know forsure.

I've heard the evga cards have coil whine.. though some will say all cards do but out of the xfx 290 and asus 970 and gigabyte 970 I did not experiance any. I stayed away from the evga 970s cause of the talk of bad cooler/coil whine probs. Also for me the asus strx cards cooler made a grinding sound on fan Rev up and down Every once in a while. Sounded like an out of balanced fan. Read about another guy mentioning the same thing.. so might of been a bad batch of fans.

:) also at 1080 the 970 is all you need. Will max out games at that res no problem. I was satisfied until exchanging my monitor for a 1440 144hz 27" screen. Then one 980 was good but 2 was sexy good.

:) also at 1080 the 970 is all you need. Will max out games at that res no problem. I was satisfied until exchanging my monitor for a 1440 144hz 27" screen. Then one 980 was good but 2 was sexy good.

Do you know of a site where i can see a comparison of benchmarks for SLI 670's and a 970? Just curious.

Now I am on the lookout for which GTX-970 is the "it" card to buy, anyone have a clue? Price range is below $400 (new).

Not off the top of my head.. You'll have to google that. Ive been there looking threw sites and youtube for the past 2 months.

Gigabyte GI Gaming 970 is the one with the best cooler and most power delivery then I believe all of them. Highest overclock as well.. Just make sure you get Samsung memory chips when you get it.

Does one of these outperform (or perform to the same level) my 670 PE/OC GPU's in SLI?

The performance is pretty close except you get more VRAM with the 970. Most comparisons between those two setups have the 970 coming out ahead in benchmarks by just a hair, probably not enough to see unless it solves a microstutter you didn't realize you had. Also you won't have to deal with SLI profiles and SLI hiccups. Temperature and power consumption also favor the single 970, so just think that your electric bill will pay it off eventually :D

Gigabyte GI Gaming 970 is the one with the best cooler and most power delivery then I believe all of them. Highest overclock as well.. Just make sure you get Samsung memory chips when you get it.

Yeah unfortunately the GI is too long for my current setup. The MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G is $20 cheaper and will fit my setup. Its the Hard OCP Editors Gold Choice Winner so it can't be too shabby.
What do you mean Samsung Memory chips? Is that something 970 owners are buying and modding their GPU so it has 4GB of VRAM or something?

The performance is pretty close except you get more VRAM with the 970. Most comparisons between those two setups have the 970 coming out ahead in benchmarks by just a hair, probably not enough to see unless it solves a microstutter you didn't realize you had. Also you won't have to deal with SLI profiles and SLI hiccups. Temperature and power consumption also favor the single 970, so just think that your electric bill will pay it off eventually :D

Yeah i really agree. I'm very seriously looking into it. If i can sell my GPU's and get $300 (which i'm quite confident I can) i can get all the benefits you mentioned (performance is basically the same, i accept that) and then have the option down the road to SLI with another (either on sale cheap 970 or a used one) and have a pretty hardcore GPU setup, able to do way more than i can require at 1080P. (Exactly what i did with my 670's...bought one, then 1-2 years later i bought a second used for cheap and have been enjoying perfect SLI gaming since).

No just that the Samsung Memory chips overclock higher mostly.. Most report 8000 over 7000 default.

Back