What new display type are you looking for in 2021?

What new display type are you looking for in 2021?

• 31.5″ or 27" 144hz MiniLED

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • 240hz IPS

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 200hz or QHD 29" ultrawide

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
If I had a nickel for each time that I’ve heard something like this... also note the post specifies this will be for the top tier of the market. Meaning, expect to pay like $2500+ for such a monitor. That is basically the same as not being available.
I follow the display industry somewhat closely and IMO this is the most promising news I've seen as far as OLED monitors actually coming to market. There's really just LG making larger OLED panels, and they've never expressed any interest in the monitor market. Up to this point, there was that limited production Dell 30" OLED a few years ago, and smaller monitors using JOLED-sourced panels.

Samsung also posted this teaser for CES, which seems to show some smaller displays alongside their high end TVs:

VD-First-Look-invitation.jpg

It's possible those are LCD monitors (MiniLED or otherwise), of course, but I doubt that'd warrant a front and center place in a new product line reveal. Either way, we'll find out in a few days.

And yeah, they will very likely be too expensive for most to consider over a conventional LCD or 48" OLED. But I have no doubt at least a few people around here will buy one.

Edit: turns out the smaller displays in Samsung's teaser are the new "The Frame" models, which start at 32" and can do portrait mode. So nothing new in terms of QD-OLED. Monitors are usually shown at Computex in June, so that's the likely next window we may see an announcement.

Last edited:
TFT central recently posted new updates on panel manufacturing for next year, from LG, AU Optronics and BOE. This got me thinking about 2021 monitor options, although I'm very happy with my Pixio Px275h, I'm wondering: what are [H] users excited about that's expected to come out next year? Some of the interesting panel options include MiniLED, fast IPS and even some interesting takes on 29" ultrawides (there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking going on with 34" ultrawide though):

31.5″ IPS 4K 144Hz 1000nit 98% DCI-P3 MiniLED
27″ IPS 4K 144Hz 600nit 98% DCI-P3 MiniLED
27″ IPS QHD 240Hz 600nit 98% DCI-P3
29" IPS FHD 200Hz 400nit 95% DCI-P3

29" IPS QHD

I'll also add a poll of types of panels to easily see what the [H] is interested on in 2021.
Waiting for AU Optronics to release the ultrawide fhd 30" AHVA panel 200hz/400 nits 95% dci-p3 they are working on.

Judging by the threads here I'm in the minority for looking for a new good 32" 1440p 144Hz+ panel alternative to come out, the current ones aren't quite the best besides the 32" Samsung G7 one but 1000R curve is too much imo.

I’ll take a 36” 3840x1600 120Hz OLED so I don’t have to keep chasing the best hardware in order to play 4k at decent frames.

It’ll be years before they happens, if it happens at all. Inorganic options by 2025 are far more likely to be available as monitors than OLED.

This did not age well..... turns out, it was six months for OLED monitors.

An oiled I don’t need to baby…microled where art thou
OLED is already at the point you don't need to baby them. Just set your pc to turn off the screens after 5 minutes of inactivity and you're good.
You just can't abuse them by purposely disabling all the burn in prevention features and cranking the brightness to the max while leaving it on 24/7.

OLED is already at the point you don't need to baby them. Just set your pc to turn off the screens after 5 minutes of inactivity and you're good.
You just can't abuse them by purposely disabling all the burn in prevention features and cranking the brightness to the max while leaving it on 24/7.

Based on the rtings oled burn in test, my use case as a web browser for 6+ hours the display wont last that long. Im the type to keep a display for a while and i wont be upgrading until microled is a thing so probably 4+ years. Pixel refresher can cover that up for a while but eventually cumulative effects will take over. Not to mention oled pixels also start dying over time and pixel refresher only accelerates that process. Ive seen a lot of people with oleds theyve used after a few years covered in dead pixels after running too many refresher cycles.

None of the evidence Ive seen on either phones or desktop monitors, anecdotal or empirical studies have suggested oleds will last long enough for desktop use. Ive already had burn in on an oled phone and on an oled tablet from personal experience.

Last edited:
Based on the rtings oled burn in test, my use case as a web browser for 6+ hours the display wont last that long. Im the type to keep a display for a while and i wont be upgrading until microled is a thing so probably 4+ years. Pixel refresher can cover that up for a while but eventually cumulative effects will take over. Not to mention oled pixels also start dying over time and pixel refresher only accelerates that process. Ive seen a lot of people with oleds theyve used after a few years covered in dead pixels after running too many refresher cycles.

None of the evidence Ive seen on either phones or desktop monitors, anecdotal or empirical studies have suggested oleds will last long enough for desktop use. Ive already had burn in on an oled phone and on an oled tablet from personal experience.
I've already used my LG CX 48" OLED TV as a desktop monitor for over a year. That's at least 8h a day, 5 days a week for work and on top of that any personal use (web browsing, YT, video games, music production software). No burn in so far. I do hide my taskbar/topbar/dock, I do run dark modes where I can and have blank screen saver going off fairly quickly when idle.

It's not something you buy expecting to get 5-10 years out of it but by that time there is already something new and better available. In my country I could buy 3x LG CX 48" for the price of one ASUS PG32UQX. So if I wanted to, I could use my current display until it develops issues with burn in, buy the best similar sized OLED available at that point in time and still would have spent less money than buying some of the higher end LCDs today. I don't like the wastefulness of that to be honest but just pointing out how it works in terms of overall cost.

I've already used my LG CX 48" OLED TV as a desktop monitor for over a year. That's at least 8h a day, 5 days a week for work and on top of that any personal use (web browsing, YT, video games, music production software). No burn in so far. I do hide my taskbar/topbar/dock, I do run dark modes where I can and have blank screen saver going off fairly quickly when idle.

It's not something you buy expecting to get 5-10 years out of it but by that time there is already something new and better available. In my country I could buy 3x LG CX 48" for the price of one ASUS PG32UQX. So if I wanted to, I could use my current display until it develops issues with burn in, buy the best similar sized OLED available at that point in time and still would have spent less money than buying some of the higher end LCDs today. I don't like the wastefulness of that to be honest but just pointing out how it works in terms of overall cost.

Yeah the thing is I don't really want to spend so much time and effort to hide static elements just to delay the inevitable. And I already have burn in on a S9 and a Galaxy tablet so I already know that static elements will cause burn in over time. The Rtings test showed permanent burn in starts at around 1,120 hours of static logo content. So realistically if I just browsed like I do now, around 8-9 month mark I should start seeing permanent image retention when displaying solid colors like cyan or magenta, which is kind of around the time that Level 1 Tech youtuber started seeing burn in on his. This definitely is not a display that's gonna last me 4-5 years, which is what my typical retention time is for a monitor.

And honestly in store, I didn't think the OLED really looked that much better than a MiniLED QLED to justify me babying it so much.

Yeah the thing is I don't really want to spend so much time and effort to hide static elements just to delay the inevitable. And I already have burn in on a S9 and a Galaxy tablet so I already know that static elements will cause burn in over time. The Rtings test showed permanent burn in starts at around 1,120 hours of static logo content. So realistically if I just browsed like I do now, around 8-9 month mark I should start seeing permanent image retention when displaying solid colors like cyan or magenta, which is kind of around the time that Level 1 Tech youtuber started seeing burn in on his. This definitely is not a display that's gonna last me 4-5 years, which is what my typical retention time is for a monitor.

And honestly in store, I didn't think the OLED really looked that much better than a MiniLED QLED to justify me babying it so much.

It's a one time setup thing. Both MacOS and Windows support autohiding topbar/dock or taskbar. So it's not exactly like you have to baby the display. But I get that OLED is not for everyone and that's fine.

It's a one time setup thing. Both MacOS and Windows support autohiding topbar/dock or taskbar. So it's not exactly like you have to baby the display. But I get that OLED is not for everyone and that's fine.

Yeah I try to get away with that entirely since I have enough of that with mobile devices anyway and I honestly hate the limited productivity with that kind of display use. When you have a 50" screen I want to use the real estate, preferably with 2-4 windows open at all times, not pretend it's a 6" mobile phone screen with low pixel density. I mainly want to use it for productivity purposes, rather than have to resort to a (smaller) secondary display for that.

i ended up going qled/uled?, hisense U78G(U7G in usa) 55", after my plasma('09 LG 50") started flakin out last week. so far so good and no burn in to worry aboot ;)

i ended up going qled/uled?, hisense U78G(U7G in usa) 55", after my plasma('09 LG 50") started flakin out last week. so far so good and no burn in to worry aboot ;)

Yeah that's nice. I have a 48" C1 next to a 55" QN85A and a 32" Aorus FI32U.

The blacks are nice I guess, but the OLED is somewhat too dim for my tastes for desktop use. I find the brightness at 50 too dim. Aren’t people saying if you set brightness too high it causes burn in faster, or is that only on the oled brightness setting?

The OLED has better blacks sure, but its dimmer and the colors pop less than the mini LED IPS display. I guess the main advantage is you don’t have LED backlight glow, which tends to manifest when displaying white on the QN85, the whole area around the panel is glowing white from what I assume is backlight light diffusing in every direction (like on a typical monitor), whereas there is no light glow around the screen on the OLED. In a dark room the less light diffusion improves clarity. That said the WRGB sub pixel layout is less clear than the RGB pixel layout of the QN85A.

Anyway I will play around with both these displays for a while but right now I’m leaning towards the QN85A. It’s better during the day time in terms of brightness, better clarity overall, and just somewhat of a lesser performer at night due to light glow, but no burn in risk.

I decided that I will be looking for a new 175hz 2022 model 38" gsync IPS monitor, and it will be my endgame PC monitor. HDR600 is good enough. I will not be looking into OLED options. Unless they come in widescreen 38" format, which will not happen.
I probably could consider a 32" if the panel was as fast as the LG 38".

these guys just looked at it, seems alright...
https://www.youtube.com/c/digitaltrends/videos

Seems they think its a lot better than any of the current FALD/MiniLED displays, which is good. I guess the question is since there's only a 75" model this year, is it going to take a while to trickle down to other display sizes? I'd love a 50" or 55" for a monitor.

Add 2 inches and you move from impossible-land to which-model-do-I-choose-land
Dell made a 24" 4k60 ips one back in 2014. I owned it. The pixel density made for an amazing image but it was just too small for me.

I had a 15” 4k60 laptop which looked great but it was a bit of a power hog, and the 2880 or 2560 laptops look nearly as good while being easier to run on the go. Laptops are generally kept closer than desktop monitors because the keyboard has to be right there, but I think I prefer the wide viewing angles of a large monitor and the ability to use all the pixels (typically high dpi monitors use 125-200% scaling, meaning less usable window space) of a larger display in the 32-43” range.

25 inch 4k 144hz
It’s so refreshing to see at least one person who agrees with me on this. The extra pixel density on a 24”-25” compared to a 27”-28” is more noticeable for sharpness than most people realize, and I just sort of prefer a slightly smaller size, too.

I doubt it’s going to happen, though. I wouldn’t suggest that either of us hold our breath. :(

If manufacturers were more upfront about it, most desktop monitor panel sizes have more to do with leftover capacity on either sheets of large glass for larger panel sizes or previous gen glass sizes that are evenly divisible by some monitor panel size, as opposed to specific consumer demand of some size/resolution. Otherwise we would have a lot more panels between 32-48 than we do now.
Clearly no one is going make a 20" x 3" screen even if that is left over, so all of this is within limits of course. I wouldn't be surprised to see higher density screens as the horsepower to drive them becomes cheaper and defect rates at these densities is lowered as it should help keep average monitor prices up (along with HDR and newer connectivity options).

How about putting grade A QC into monitors. Until then, they will all have one issue or the other.

It’s so refreshing to see at least one person who agrees with me on this. The extra pixel density on a 24”-25” compared to a 27”-28” is more noticeable for sharpness than most people realize, and I just sort of prefer a slightly smaller size, too.

I doubt it’s going to happen, though. I wouldn’t suggest that either of us hold our breath. :(
That's kind of what I want, but I don't want to give up real estate. In other words I'd like a 43" or so 8k screen to replace my 43" 4k screen. That would have a pixel density equivalent to a 21.5" 4k screen. I don't see this happening in 2021 or 2022, but someday...

RTINGS review is up of the U9DG.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/hisense/u9dg

"Perfect" blacks. Wide viewing angles. If peak brightness wasn't low it would be a unicorn non-OLED display. Main downside appears to be power consumption is about 2.3x higher than your typical LED TV...
I'm less concerned about power consumption than this (from the gaming score)

RTINGS:
Slow response time and terrible ghosting.
Relatively high input lag.
Can't display 4k @ 120Hz content properly.

Unfortunately, the Hisense U9DG has a mediocre response time. There's terrible ghosting behind fast-moving objects, and it's noticeable even when navigating menus in streaming apps. Unlike the Hisense U8G, it's not just behind red objects. In 'Game' Mode and with the variable refresh rate feature enabled, it's just as bad, and it doesn't look good when gaming or watching sports.

Unfortunately, the Hisense U9DG has fairly high input lag, even in 'Game' mode. While it's not bad for casual console gamers, it's much higher than most TVs we've tested in 2021. Unfortunately, we couldn't measure the input lag at 120Hz, as the TV skips frames when sent a 120Hz signal with the variable refresh rate feature disabled. Input lag outside of 'Game' Mode is also higher than usual.

Back