What new display type are you looking for in 2021?

What new display type are you looking for in 2021?

• 31.5″ or 27" 144hz MiniLED

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • 240hz IPS

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 200hz or QHD 29" ultrawide

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

euskalzabe

[H]ard|Gawd
TFT central recently posted new updates on panel manufacturing for next year, from LG, AU Optronics and BOE. This got me thinking about 2021 monitor options, although I'm very happy with my Pixio Px275h, I'm wondering: what are [H] users excited about that's expected to come out next year? Some of the interesting panel options include MiniLED, fast IPS and even some interesting takes on 29" ultrawides (there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking going on with 34" ultrawide though):

31.5″ IPS 4K 144Hz 1000nit 98% DCI-P3 MiniLED
27″ IPS 4K 144Hz 600nit 98% DCI-P3 MiniLED
27″ IPS QHD 240Hz 600nit 98% DCI-P3
29" IPS FHD 200Hz 400nit 95% DCI-P3
29" IPS QHD

I'll also add a poll of types of panels to easily see what the [H] is interested on in 2021.

Tuning into this thread. If I get lucky enough and score a GPU in the 3080 flavor, I'm going to want a decent 1440 monitor to go with it. But, monitors and cell phones are the two areas in tech that I am 98% clueless on. I don't understand any of it.

There were supposed to also be some VA 120hz+ 32" 4k screens coming. Personally I would love the 40" 5120x2160 in an affordable monitor, but that won't happen for sure. So settling on the next best thing a 32" 4k monitor, high refresh or not, but it needs to not smear in games, have FreeSync, non PWM backlight and be around 800$ at most (preferably 500$).

It has been said many, many times, but the monitor industry moves incredibly slowly compared to almost every other tech sector. Just look at how many years it took to move from 768p displays in laptops to higher res, better quality panels, while phones were already at 1440p and TVs were going through the 4k boom. It's the same with monitors. Right now there's zero options available for > 30", > 4k, HRR monitors.

Having gotten used to 4k panels pretty much on every device I own, I can't go back to a lower resolution (I work with a lot of text). To be honest, ideally I'd like even higher resolutions (for example, I almost got the LG 5k2k ultrawide, but the panel apparently had lots of issues and the model seems pretty much EOL, same with the comparable MSI one).

Tuning into this thread. If I get lucky enough and score a GPU in the 3080 flavor, I'm going to want a decent 1440 monitor to go with it. But, monitors and cell phones are the two areas in tech that I am 98% clueless on. I don't understand any of it.
I'm in the same boat, clueless. I casually game. Play most games on medium settings. My 30" Dell is starting to show some serious age and I want to replace it with a similar size but have no idea what to look at or which brand to go with.

I'm in the same boat, clueless. I casually game. Play most games on medium settings. My 30" Dell is starting to show some serious age and I want to replace it with a similar size but have no idea what to look at or which brand to go with.
32" 16:9 monitors are pretty much a direct replacement. If you primarily game, get a 1440p high refresh panel like the lg 32GK850F (this is VA) or similar IPS screen. If work is it's primary use and it involves text or video/photo, you most likely would want to go 32" 4k and 60hz might do it, just make sure the screen has FreeSync and a non PWM back light, preferably IPS (VA can smear in dark transitions and has worse viewing angles, but has better contrast and less pronounced "IPS glow" while also being cheaper). Regarding brands, Dell is still a safe but sometimes pricey bet, others worth considering are Samsung, LG from the more premium brands and Philips, Benq, Viewsonic, AOC, Acer from the "cheaper" ones.

If you want more monitor and price is not a subject you could also check the 38" ultra wide monitors from Dell and LG (LG 38GN950-B). These are IPS screens that have the same height as the 32" 16:9 and 30" 16:10 screens while offering more width.

Personally I would ride that 30" Dell of yours until it dies before upgrading though. There are still no "no thinking"/instant buy monitors on the market right now and it doesn't seem to change very soon. All are compromises, even the very pricey ones.

There are still no "no thinking"/instant buy monitors on the market right now and it doesn't seem to change very soon. All are compromises, even the very pricey ones.

Subjective, obviously. This one does it for me to replace my aging PG348Q.

It was on sale recently too for exactly what I paid for my Asus in 2017.

The appeal is ultrawide, the curved just makes it work and isn't something you think about.

I'll never go back to 16x9, feels like playing games with blinders on.
Do the types of games matter? FPS vs top-down RPG?

Do the types of games matter? FPS vs top-down RPG?
I've never had it be a detriment, if that's what you're asking. I've also had it not be compatible with one game, Overwatch, which I don't really play anymore. (it crops a 21:9 image to keep things "fair" being a competitive game).

I've played things from Civ 6 to just about any FPS and having your peripheral vision filled up is just really hard to downgrade from, even with a big 4K OLED.. its just not the same.

I've never had it be a detriment, if that's what you're asking. I've also had it not be compatible with one game, Overwatch, which I don't really play anymore. (it crops a 21:9 image to keep things "fair" being a competitive game).

I've played things from Civ 6 to just about any FPS and having your peripheral vision filled up is just really hard to downgrade from, even with a big 4K OLED.. its just not the same.
Noted. Thanks.

The only ones even remotely interesting are the 40" 5120x2160 and the 32" 4K 144 Hz models. Everything else is just the same crap.

None.... if a a oled came out in 2021 say a 25" version I wouldn't even consider it.
I don't think the technology is on par with good LCDs.

I would really like more 27" panels available in 4k that support 144hz. Being that close, I prefer my desktop res at 4k, but with my hardware I still game at 1440p, so I want that 144hz gsync experience.

Nothing coming that truly ticks all my boxes. I am currently using a 34" ultrawide IPS monitor and really really REALLY do not want to go back to 16:9.

Samsung is rumored to be working on an actual OLED monitor in the 32-36" range. Assuming its high refresh (120hz+) I'd have to at least look at it/consider it. But like I said, super tough call to go back to 16:9...

Nothing coming that truly ticks all my boxes. I am currently using a 34" ultrawide IPS monitor and really really REALLY do not want to go back to 16:9.

Samsung is rumored to be working on an actual OLED monitor in the 32-36" range. Assuming its high refresh (120hz+) I'd have to at least look at it/consider it. But like I said, super tough call to go back to 16:9...
I want to like ultrawide but the vertical space on a lot of them is too shallow for my tastes physically (27") also I find 16:9 to feel a bit stubby in aspect ratio even on the 32" i have now. The 21:10 1600p 38" UW might be perfect as you get both height and width in both physical and aspect. There is actually a 16:10 4k laptop screen out in the wild (3840x2400) i wonder if we will ever see a 16:10 or 21:10 5k equivelent in monitor size ? I think that would be 5120x2400 for the UW, the next logical step up for the 3840x1600 crowd.

That said there won't be a monitor i purchase next without a high count Mini LED FALD ( at least 700+ zones) and it will have to be really good with the kind of size and resolution mentioned above, because im hearing more & more frequent reports that VR is becoming competent as a replacement monitor (currently at the G2 performance level) and it will only get better. If my desktop monitor can't keep up with the resolution of VR and VR is 1/3 of the cost for the whole headset then the monitor industry has a problem...

(yes VR has a lower PPI but i could just run 2D stuff at current mid tier monitor tech and move all my other stuff to 3D headset content)

Last edited:
I completely understand that. I had a 29" I loved, but had to let it go (long story, eyesight problem, thought it was the monitor, went through 3 monitors, eventually found out it was a reaction to my 5-year allergy treatment). Currently on a 27", the 34" UW is very tempting, but I'm not sure I'd do well with that much screen in front of me (eye comfort). I'm interested in going back to a 29" but they're all sub-par DPI (1080p) and/or refresh rate (75h). The QHD 29" in production or the 200hz one both interest me (would rather a QHD 144hz 29") but we'll see what products they turn out to be in 2021.
That said there won't be a monitor i purchase next without a high count Mini LED FALD ( at least 700+ zones)
I'd like this as well, but I'm guessing - if history is any indication - that because we're talking monitors, manufacturers will charge us to the moon and back just because they're MiniLED - paying for the novelty, not really the cost of it. By the time it would go down to sane levels, I'm guessing QNED might have become mainstream in 2024 (yeah, I think it'll take that long for monitors (not TVs) to have mainstream prices for MiniLED...).

I hope that higher PPI monitors start to go mainstream.

I've been using the 34" LG 5K2K ultrawide (163PPI) with an 27" LG 5K ultrafine (218PPI) on the side. It's difficult to go back to regular 110PPI monitors.

I think the ~160PPI range is the sweet spot. It's not as sharp as the 200+ PPI displays, but I only really notice when they're side by side.

If I could make a dream monitor right now, I'd take a 5K (5120x2880) panel with around a 36" diagonal. That would make it as wide as the 34" ultrawides, but with an extra 4.5" vertical for productivity apps and a PPI of 160 to keep the text sharp.

For gaming, I don't mind running the higher PPI panels at scaled resolutions. With enough pixel density you don't notice the scaling artifacts. Frankly, I wouldn't mind running a cropped 21:9 resolution on it either to keep framerates up.

I wouldn't want any of the options available in the poll. I just went with an Acer Predator CG437K (4K, 120Hz/144Hz G-Sync, HDR1000). This was basically my dream display for several years now. That being said, OLED etc. would be better, but every display's a trade off. It's a sad fact right now.

I currently use an AOC Q3279VWF (31.5" VA, 2560x1440, 75Hz FreeSync) which is close enough to the 96 dpi "standard" so legacy applications need no scaling.(y)
When it comes to replacing it, I will consider a monitor with the following specs:
  • 30-32"
  • 5K (5120x2880), so I can use 200% non-fractional scaling
  • same or better static contrast than the current monitor (4000:1)
  • DisplayHDR 600
  • DisplayPort DSC
  • LFC
  • $500 or lower
I think it is safe to say that such a monitor won't exist anytime soon.

I backordered a 2nd LG 27GL850 at a sale price, so I'm cautiously optimistic that there won't be a better option for the price in 2021...but if there will be I need to know soon haha.

I wouldn't want any of the options available in the poll. I just went with an Acer Predator CG437K (4K, 120Hz/144Hz G-Sync, HDR1000). This was basically my dream display for several years now. That being said, OLED etc. would be better, but every display's a trade off. It's a sad fact right now.

Isn't that panel BGR subpixel layout ? Has that been a problem for PC text or is it easy to fix within the OS by changing the pixel layout ? It does seem like a lot of screen for the price. Id take a refreshed RGB+HDMi2.1 model of the panel with Mini-LED. Perhaps even by this point the newer display port with DSC/4k 240hz support will be out.

manufacturers will charge us to the moon and back just because they're MiniLED - paying for the novelty, not really the cost of it.

Yes that's the way i see it will be for the next 2 years at least until they become mainstream in every panel. Realistically speaking, getting a decent functioning 32"+ 4k 144hz Mini-LED that doesnt cost $2,500 might happen towards the end of next year but we are much more likely to see 1440p 27/32" high count Mini LED panels first and given how hit and miss HDR support on PC is, it might just be better to get a stop gap screen now for those who are tired of waiting. after all i don't see why a PC user should limit themselves to just one monitor.

Realistically speaking, getting a decent functioning 32"+ 4k 144hz Mini-LED that doesnt cost $2,500 might happen towards the end of next year but we are much more likely to see 1440p 27/32" high count Mini LED panels first and given how hit and miss HDR support on PC is, it might just be better to get a stop gap screen now for those who are tired of waiting. after all i don't see why a PC user should limit themselves to just one monitor.
I'm on a 27" 1440p 95hz and loving it, specially for the color reproduction (%95 DCI-P3 is wonderful, especially after calibration). HDR looks great, though without the rich contrast of having dimming zones, of course. A reasonably priced 27" 1440p that had the same color quality, 144hz and excellent MiniLED contrast would easily sway me to upgrade in 2021.

I just swapped to 27" 2560x1440 240hz IPS (Acer-XV272U Xbmiipruzx) from my 5 year old XB271HU (27" 2560x1440 144hz IPS). I love the 240hz, but I'm finding the wide gamut nature of the monitor jarring. I just swapped to SRGB colourspace via the OSD and so far seems far closer to what I was used to with my calibrated XB271HU. My colorimeter is around 8 years old so I don't trust it for calibration at this point - would need to get a new one.

I only had two other potential interests - the LG 48" CX - where I ultimately decided I would not be able to adjust to using it for productivity/general use purposes - and the other potential possibility that would interest me would be a 32" 4K miniLED monitor.

A 34" - 40" 4K monitor with picture quality comparable to a QLED or OLED television. Right now console gamers have far superior displays.

TFT central recently posted new updates on panel manufacturing for next year, from LG, AU Optronics and BOE. This got me thinking about 2021 monitor options, although I'm very happy with my Pixio Px275h, I'm wondering: what are [H] users excited about that's expected to come out next year? Some of the interesting panel options include MiniLED, fast IPS and even some interesting takes on 29" ultrawides (there doesn't seem to be anything groundbreaking going on with 34" ultrawide though):

31.5″ IPS 4K 144Hz 1000nit 98% DCI-P3 MiniLED
27″ IPS 4K 144Hz 600nit 98% DCI-P3 MiniLED
27″ IPS QHD 240Hz 600nit 98% DCI-P3
29" IPS FHD 200Hz 400nit 95% DCI-P3
29" IPS QHD

I'll also add a poll of types of panels to easily see what the [H] is interested on in 2021.
Everything is IPS too? Ugh. Could we at least get something with a VA panel. Let alone quantum dots or OLED.

Everything is IPS too? Ugh. Could we at least get something with a VA panel. Let alone quantum dots or OLED.
There will be some VA panels too, don’t worry! They’re less than the IPS models I saw, but check the links I posted on the OP for more details.

32" 4k 144hz. non-HDR because a few hundred dimming zones are way too few for good results, and 1m zones is going to be way too expensive for my budget.

There will be some VA panels too, don’t worry! They’re less than the IPS models I saw, but check the links I posted on the OP for more details.
Unless someone steps up in a big way there're going to be a lot fewer VA options going forward though.

They were mostly made by Samsung; unfortunately Samsung is shutting down LCD production entirely.

Unless someone steps up in a big way there're going to be a lot fewer VA options going forward though.

They were mostly made by Samsung; unfortunately Samsung is shutting down LCD production entirely.
Well, yes, but AU optronics is still making them. At this point, IPS is the overall better deal though - many panels with good black levels, despite less perceived contrast - so I'd guess FALD/MiniLED IPS panels are more likely in the future rather than VA for monitors, due to the latter's slow pixel response. But who knows!

Well, yes, but AU optronics is still making them. At this point, IPS is the overall better deal though - many panels with good black levels, despite less perceived contrast - so I'd guess FALD/MiniLED IPS panels are more likely in the future rather than VA for monitors, due to the latter's slow pixel response. But who knows!
IPS looks terrible in comparison though. Games on my VA TV looked significantly better than my IPS gaming monitor.

IPS looks terrible in comparison though. Games on my VA TV looked significantly better than my IPS gaming monitor.
Take into account that VA TVs and VA monitors are very different. TVs tend to get the absolute best VA panels, monitors usually get 2nd rate VA panels. When you compare monitor to monitor, VA doesn't generally have as good IQ as IPS. Of course, different people, different tastes and priorities. I used to prefer VA panels for many years, but recently IPS have become good enough that I can't ignore the better angles, fast refresh and color reproduction advantages.

Take into account that VA TVs and VA monitors are very different. TVs tend to get the absolute best VA panels, monitors usually get 2nd rate VA panels. When you compare monitor to monitor, VA doesn't generally have as good IQ as IPS. Of course, different people, different tastes and priorities. I used to prefer VA panels for many years, but recently IPS have become good enough that I can't ignore the better angles, fast refresh and color reproduction advantages.
Perhaps. The picture quality of televisions seem to have improved at a much quicker rate than monitors. Televisions also have quantum dots. I have seen LG add them to their 4K monitor. But it still IPS and only 27".

The colors on my IPS Asus PG279Q are less vibrant. The contrast ratio and blacks are just terrible on it compared to the VA television that I had. I don't know if the new IPS monitors are any better.

The contrast ratio and blacks are just terrible on it compared to the VA television that I had. I don't know if the new IPS monitors are any better.
IPS are certainly not, but neither are VA monitors. Normally VA monitors top at 3000:1 contrast, whereas VA panels for TVs are regularly in the 5000:1 to 7000:1 area. If you add FALD to that, you can easily get to 8000:1. That makes any IPS panel look pitiful - of course, at 1000:1, IPS is not simply 8 times worse in IQ, there are other factors to consider.

Your point about quantum dots is an important one, though: how is it that even $450 TVs have added a quantum layer for improved colors, and yet no monitor has this yet? It'd be a relatively easy way to improve the color reproduction of any monitor. Samsung had a couple QLED monitors released a while ago, and that's about it. It's very frustrating knowing that we could have way, way better color for only a bit more money, and yet here we are with DCI-P3 not yet becoming the norm (it's why I bought a %95 DCI-P3 monitor and it looks awesome, despite the lack of quantum dots which would make it even better).

Back