What music software do you use? Tips and Tricks?

Activate: AMD

[H]ard|Gawd
My audio library is a total mess and I want to get it organized and integrated into my HTPC frontend. Currently trying out the MB music library plugin, but it seems a little quirky. What are other people using?

Also, more importantly, how are you guys organizing, renaming, and tagging all your music?

I haven't gotten around to organizing my library yet, but did just recently use MP3tag for renaming and updating tags, including album art. Was a breeze to work with, and suited my needs perfectly.

I use MediaMonkey to organize and tag my audio library. It works, but it's not integrated into an HTPC front-end. But the results are, which is what matters to me.

But if someone were to recommend a really good audio library management tool that's integrated into an HTPC front end (ideally XBMC but open to MB), I'd also be interested.

iTunes/Frontrow

EAC to rip CDs.

I use CDDB to tag music, and I'll manually adjust it if needed.

how'd you guys get media monkey to organize the folders? I got it to organize the "collection" on the software level, but not the actual data. I must be missing a step. Is there like a sort command or prompt?

how'd you guys get media monkey to organize the folders? I got it to organize the "collection" on the software level, but not the actual data. I must be missing a step. Is there like a sort command or prompt?

It shouldn't be needed to physically move files around too much.

MediaMonkey let's you 'tag' the files with appropriate metadata like album names, pictures, artists, dates, volume adjustments, your personal ratings etc. Right click and select the auto-tag or auto-tag from web features. The original files themselves can be modified to have all this data, including pictures, attached to them. Then a media front end like XMBC (or any other decent media front end) will just read them and pick up all the new information. And as long as the metadata is accurate, even if you dump thousands of files in one directory, your collection will be organized in the media front end.

If you really feel like 'physically' organizing everything, you could try the "auto-organize files" feature which lets you rename and move files into new folders based on the rules you set. You should still organize the metadata first though.

MediaMonkey let's you 'tag' the files with appropriate metadata like album names, pictures, artists, dates, volume adjustments, your personal ratings etc. Right click and select the auto-tag or auto-tag from web features. The original files themselves can be modified to have all this data, including pictures, attached to them. Then a media front end like XMBC (or any other decent media front end) will just read them and pick up all the new information. And as long as the metadata is accurate, even if you dump thousands of files in one directory, your collection will be organized in the media front end.

Thank you! I never used the software before, I didn't even think to right click over the files :facepalm:

I use Winamp in Media Library mode to play all my music on my desktop.

If I am playing music on my home theater in my living room, I also use Winamp, but use a program on my iPhone to choose the music. I run a projector for my display do I don't need to turn it on by using my iPhone to control Winamp.

All my music is in FLAC and is tagged correctly. I used MusicBrainz Picard tagger to tag it all for me.

Back