What MP3 Player for gf for christmas(yea I know its early)

MapleSyrupMods

Bring on Titan X Volta
Seeing how as every year she knows what Im getting her, this year is going to be different, I know that she only has a tape deck in her beetle, So I was thinking of getting her an Ipod. She wont need a 20gb one I dont think, Unless there is a crazy deal going on, but she will put alot of songs on there. Is the ipod the best choice or do I want to consider looking at the Creative Zen? Also what about that new Ipod Nano or whatever its called.
Opinions and thoughts are welcome. ;)

From what I've seen, the Zen has better battery life...sometimes even double what an Ipod gets. That being said, women are a tricky lot...sometimes they'd rather get something technically inferior just because it looks nicer...go with the Ipod.

Ipod nano only has 2GB of space I think...not enough. I'd say minumum is the 4GB Ipod micro.

The nano comes in 2 and 4 gig versions, 200 and 250 buck, and in black and white.

I like mine a lot. But it's the first mp3 player I've owned, so I can't compare it to others.

I haven't tested 14 hr. battery life claim, as I rarely need it for more than 6 hours in a day.

i am getting my girlfriend a 2gb nano for christmas, i know she will love it!

Guys I am interested too... which one has better sound quality? the Zen or one of the ipods?

and yea, I was thinking of either an Ipod Micro, Ipod Nano, or Ipod Mini, 4 gb minimum

White iPod Nano... is their any other choice? well yes, a White 60GB iPod.... but you get the Idea.

Can't imagine any girl not liking an Ipod for Xmas. Get her one of those "socks" accessories too. :p

i got my wife an ipod mini for christmas last year, and it was definite winner... :)

side note: and she's about as techie as they come, male or female, but there's more to things like this than battery life... ;)

iaudio x5 seems as if its a little bit overkill for the general girl who drives a beetle, unless she is pretty tech savy. Also take into consideradion, I think the ipod is easier to operate with minimal time taking your eyes off the road, the x5 look as though it could be a little bit harder.

ATI9700Pro said:
and yea, I was thinking of either an Ipod Micro, Ipod Nano, or Ipod Mini, 4 gb minimum

Once you see the new Nano in person, you will understand why your GF will love it (and you, for that matter).

Make sure you hit up the student discount and get her a nice engraving :) . Should drop price from 249 to 229.

Good luck, and brilliant plan doing this early...I have a few last minute gift buying horror stories that I have already suppressed. :p

lol yea, she isnt the techiest girl there is, but she does want an ipod one im pretty sure as her brother has the 20gb white one. Also, the sock thing is a very good idea. I know i would hate it but she'll love it.

It'll be necessary to get a decent case from eBay or somewhere - the new Nano is tough but it scratches very, very easily unlike it's metal bodied predecessor iPod Mini.

get the ipod. despite battery life issues and the fact that they scratch easily, the ipod minis and nanos will make most girls wet and help you get laid for months on end...or until another mp3 player that comes draped in pink is released. if you think about it, a majority of girls dont even know that batteyr life and easy scratching are even an issue. they just see the words ipod and a color (or engraving) and they love it. i got my gf one for her bday and I'VE never been happier..

LOL, Ipod it is, lol, Ive been going out with her for 4 years, so I owe it to her to get her something nice

Also the iAudio X5 has a huge drawback. It does NOT support browsing music by tags, only by directory/file structure. This is a major drawback even for people with well organised music (I am very anal about my music). I like the device up til that point, but without browse by tag support it is not useable.

Now I love FLAC all my music is in FLAC format, and that is why I first looked at the device. However after reading more on playing any lossless format on a portable player I realised the drawbacks far outweighed the benefits. With FLAC files they are much larger, therefor for any given minute of playback the harddrive has to spin ~5x longer for a FLAC file than an mp3 file. This translates into much much shorter battery life. Now I listen to FLAC on my home stereo using a Squeezebox, but for the environment and equipment I use with a portable player with I can not hear the difference between a well encoded mp3 and FLAC. Even if I could hear a slight difference not worth the 50-75% reduction in battery life. Since I had already written perl scripts to transcode my FLAC for portable use, no bigger not having support for it.

ATI9700Pro said:
LOL, Ipod it is, lol, Ive been going out with her for 4 years, so I owe it to her to get her something nice

Dude you have been dating her for 4 years and your getting her an ipod, hmmm, my guess is she wants something with a little more sparkly than an ipod ;)

yea, i'm thinking the same thing...

i think that you should be getting her the ipod in addition to something from your local jeweler... :)

i have been going out with my girlfriend for 4 months and i already ordered her nano for christmas, if things don't work out for any reason (i see no reason why they wouldn't) then i get a nice shiny new toy, so either way someone will be really happy :)

well see what I can afford, I recently switched jobs because the other one wasnt giving me enough hours, so Im seriously in debt right now and need to get out of the hole, thats why,I will buy her more expensive gifts throughout the year this next year I hope.

m1abram said:
Also the iAudio X5 has a huge drawback. It does NOT support browsing music by tags, only by directory/file structure. This is a major drawback even for people with well organised music (I am very anal about my music). I like the device up til that point, but without browse by tag support it is not useable.

Now I love FLAC all my music is in FLAC format, and that is why I first looked at the device. However after reading more on playing any lossless format on a portable player I realised the drawbacks far outweighed the benefits. With FLAC files they are much larger, therefor for any given minute of playback the harddrive has to spin ~5x longer for a FLAC file than an mp3 file. This translates into much much shorter battery life. Now I listen to FLAC on my home stereo using a Squeezebox, but for the environment and equipment I use with a portable player with I can not hear the difference between a well encoded mp3 and FLAC. Even if I could hear a slight difference not worth the 50-75% reduction in battery life. Since I had already written perl scripts to transcode my FLAC for portable use, no bigger not having support for it.

Well consider the iAudio 5XL that I have is rated up to 35 hours playback time it still destroys most DAPs in the market for battery life and then some.

And FYI a firmware update will provide ID3 browsing AND viewing by file structure very soon. But until then nope.

ColStripe said:
Well consider the iAudio 5XL that I have is rated up to 35 hours playback time it still destroys most DAPs in the market for battery life and then some.

And FYI a firmware update will provide ID3 browsing AND viewing by file structure very soon. But until then nope.

Seriously when it gets ID3 browsing the iAudio will be a great DAP. Until then I consider it bottom of the heap, that "feature" is just to high on my list of required items. It would be like having the perfect player in every aspect but then only being able to listen to Britney Spears, just pure hell.

To save the arguments, im going to get her an ipod, now which one? Let the arguments begin.... :D

ATI9700Pro said:
To save the arguments, im going to get her an ipod, now which one? Let the arguments begin.... :D

Oh yea you had a question. :)

Well few questions for ya. How much music does she want to carry? How much music does she have? How will she be using it? Lots of exercise, jogging etc. Also do you have pics of her (just kidding).

m1abram said:
Oh yea you had a question. :)

Well few questions for ya. How much music does she want to carry? How much music does she have? How will she be using it? Lots of exercise, jogging etc. Also do you have pics of her (just kidding).
Well she will probably have a minimum of 1200 songs, She will want to carry EVERYTHING cause she doesnt have cd player in her car, she will use it for exersizing, car, everything music related, shes borrowing my cd player rightnow :). And for pics, go look at pr0n, lol.jk :p

With that in mind. 1200 songs *might* fit on a 4GB nano but just barely. I would probably go for a 20G iPod with that set of requirements.

Ok, I guess I should get the color screen one, as by the time I order it, the black and white ones will be mostly gone, plus the color one I believe is the way to go as she will have covers for the cds.

so, erm since it doesn't have tag browsing (the iaudio x5) does that just mean it only shows whatever the file is named? eg. filename.mp3 heh, thats fine with me since ALL of my mp3s go Artist/Album/track # - track title.mp3. Does it just show up as an external drive so i don't have to install any annoying programs to manage my music and send em to it?

pre1014 said:
so, erm since it doesn't have tag browsing (the iaudio x5) does that just mean it only shows whatever the file is named? eg. filename.mp3 heh, thats fine with me since ALL of my mp3s go Artist/Album/track # - track title.mp3. Does it just show up as an external drive so i don't have to install any annoying programs to manage my music and send em to it?

Yes and Yes.

But you can not browse by say Album/Artist/track if your data is in Artist/Album. This comes in very handy for complitation CDs. With a machine that browses by ID3 tags you can easily do this.

However iPod look like external drives to without software, however to move "music" to the ipod you need software. Either iTunes or one of the many 3rd party programs out there.

By the way, you need iTunes or capable third-party software to move songs TO the iPod, but by viewing hidden files, you can use Windows Explorer to move songs FROM any iPod.

just get the ipod mini in her favourite colour. Its small, sexy and if you get it in a colour she likes, you look like you pay attention

remember

appearance of caring/paying attention = nookie

:)

Any word on the Ipod Nano being in other colors besides black and white? If yes, then when and which colors? I think I shall be buying the nano for my gf's xmas gift as well. It's a sweet device. Someone mentioned that the ipod make girls wet... :p

Thanks

Back