What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

Some are really nice–had a laptop with some that I really liked. Also had a cheap Logitech kb that hurt my fingertips because the actuation force was too much and when it dropped I would bottom out.

I feel like we probably type very differently.

I am a very heavy typer. I smash every key into submission. Bottoming out doesn't begin to describe it. I like the heaviest keys possible, probably due to decades of typing on IBM Model M's

I feel like we probably type very differently.

I am a very heavy typer. I smash every key into submission. Bottoming out doesn't begin to describe it. I like the heaviest keys possible, probably due to decades of typing on IBM Model M's
It's not so much that the actuation force was too much, more that the difference between before the detent and after was too much, so the key would slam down if you didn't use just enough force.

I'm happy with MX Browns, for reference. I haven't used any other cherry switches, so can't say if they're my favorite.

I finally got a switch testing kit for Cherry, Outemu and Gateron switches. My personal takeaway is that I really prefer linear switches for both typing and gaming. Blue switches clickity clack really annoys the hell out of me, browns are decent but the bump doesn't really do it for me. It kinda made me feel like i was double clicking a button at times?
I honestly think i'd do best with silver speed switches but I haven't built a keyboard out of them yet. Easy to presss, low actuation points seems to be my thing.

I picked up a couple cheap mechanical keyboards over the past few months, tried smaller sizes as I was mostly looking to find something that i can use with my laptop. Turns out 60% without dedicated arrow keys are fucking antithesis of how I use a keyboard. So that didn't last long. I then picked up a 63%, same form factor but a smaller shift so that it can have dedicated arrow keys and i'm pretty happy with it. Currently using a Dierya DK63 white with red switches and it can fit in my laptop bag and also connect to a lot of things with bluetooth.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Wireless-Multi-Device/dp/B091THNWVM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dierya+dk63&qid=1634162353&sr=8-3&th=1

I did modify it a little and I present to you: My Bulba Board.
kGNeRVdWHSs1DyYQOzxVnI9T=w2675-h2006-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gorb
like this
Some are really nice–had a laptop with some that I really liked. Also had a cheap Logitech kb that hurt my fingertips because the actuation force was too much and when it dropped I would bottom out.
yeah my little Dell laptop has rubber topped chiclet style key and I can fly on that one.. it's remarkably easy to type on... but a full sized kb with mechanical keys are my ideal.

Serious question, not trying to troll.

Do you actually LIKE typing on those flat chiclet keys, or is it more of a choice out of aesthetics?

Personally I'd choose almost anything over one of those flat chiclet/island designs, including 90's rubber dome keyboards.

This is the primary reason I am still using a laptop from 2011. I can't buy one with a decent keyboard anymore. They are all these awful flat chiclet/island designs now.
Ya, I actually like the flat keys. I don't use that mac keyboard much but I do use Logitech G815's on my main rigs and the flat style keys feel much nicer than traditional keys for typing.

I also like high quality, tactile scissor switch low profile keys on some laptops and apple keyboards. I seem to type most accurately with them.

That said, I have come across a lot of low quality chicklet-style laptop keys and keyboards and they do suck.

I've been using this ducky one2 SF with MX Blues for a while, and don't really like it. Not sure what I want to try next. I have another mech with mx brown that I kind of like, but I can definitely type the fastest and most accurately on my macbook pro keyboard. Maybe I should try one more mech to see if I can find something I like.

I've been using this ducky one2 SF with MX Blues for a while, and don't really like it. Not sure what I want to try next. I have another mech with mx brown that I kind of like, but I can definitely type the fastest and most accurately on my macbook pro keyboard. Maybe I should try one more mech to see if I can find something I like.
You might want to try the Logitech MX Keys or MX Keys Mini f you type best on a laptop keyboard.

Somewhat unsuccessfully Filco MT-2 TKL (great..used for years) and a left hand Elecom EX-G (M-XT4DRBK-G) trackball mouse... I have tremors in my left hand and I am having a real problem getting any accuracy at all with the trackball if I'm honest ... trying to decide if to mess with it more and see if I can master it.. or if to give up... in fairness I have tremors in my right hand as well and nerve damage on my right ring finger.. so I have a bit of a hard time with regular mice left or right handed as well..... but It looks like a drunk trying to move the cursor with my left thumb moving around with the tremors... If I'm honest the hand tremors and nerve damage are more problematic but it is annoying using pc's at this point.

20211027_201217.jpg

edit::: God **** it it took me like three tries to click post on this when I just tried it... good times..

Last edited:
Somewhat unsuccessfully Filco MT-2 TKL (great..used for years) and a left hand Elecom EX-6 trackball mouse... I have tremors in my left hand and I am having a really problem getting any accuracy at all with the trackball if I'm honest ... trying to decide if to mess with it more and see if I can master it.. or if to give up... in fairness I have tremors in my right hand as well and nerve damage on my right ring finger.. so I have a bit of a hard time with regular mice left or right handed as well..... but It looks like a drunk trying to move the cursor with my left thumb moving around with the tremors... If I'm honest the hand tremors and nerve damage are more problematic but it is annoying using pc's at this point.

View attachment 407218

edit::: God **** it it took me like three tries to click post on this when I just tried it... good times..
I used to love that style of trackball, but the ones they make nowadays are almost all the opposite of ergonomic. The center ball style is much easier to use ergonomically (trick is to use the bottom of your fingers/palm and keep your hand above the mouse, off the rest), although maybe not as good for more precise pointing. Regardless, I usually turn the sensitivity down a bit since I can just flick the ball to move across the screen as long as acceleration is set high enough.

Somewhat unsuccessfully Filco MT-2 TKL (great..used for years) and a left hand Elecom EX-G (M-XT4DRBK-G) trackball mouse... I have tremors in my left hand and I am having a really problem getting any accuracy at all with the trackball if I'm honest ... trying to decide if to mess with it more and see if I can master it.. or if to give up... in fairness I have tremors in my right hand as well and nerve damage on my right ring finger.. so I have a bit of a hard time with regular mice left or right handed as well..... but It looks like a drunk trying to move the cursor with my left thumb moving around with the tremors... If I'm honest the hand tremors and nerve damage are more problematic but it is annoying using pc's at this point.

View attachment 407218

Filco FTW…nerve damage FTL…sucks that PCs are annoying for you to use, man. I hope you won’t/don’t have to give them up!

I used to love that style of trackball, but the ones they make nowadays are almost all the opposite of ergonomic. The center ball style is much easier to use ergonomically (trick is to use the bottom of your fingers/palm and keep your hand above the mouse, off the rest), although maybe not as good for more precise pointing. Regardless, I usually turn the sensitivity down a bit since I can just flick the ball to move across the screen as long as acceleration is set high enough.

Thanx for the tips.. yeah it had been years since I tried to use a trackball, I use to use a right handed M$ one that was amazing.. but Microsoft apparently lost interest in that market looong ago? .. The way the Elecom is designed it seems to be made for a palm grip, but this is leading to a lot of twitchy input on my part because of my thumb being somewhat prone to moving around from the tremors... on the upside, I finally have been messing around trying to figure it out rather than giving up and switching back to my Sensie 310 (worst scroll wheel not ever..but it sucks) ... I feel like I'm making progress, I also messed around with the sensitivity and that seems to help (thanx for the tip)...

Filco FTW…nerve damage FTL…sucks that PCs are annoying for you to use, man. I hope you won’t/don’t have to give them up!
yes, thank you... for the time being I think I can soldier on, some days it is more of problem than others it was bothering me more than normal..

Today I did a bunch of cleaning / moving stuff around on my desk (ruined my back.. I hope I can actually move tomorrow =p) .. Regardless i swapped the Sensei 310 for this old Sensei MLG (that I repainted because it wore through ... I forgot how much more I like the MLG over the 310.. for a hand feel point of view.. in retrospect I would have paint the MLG black / dark gray or white if I had it to do over again.. I actually painted this thing years ago and replaced the feet..and cleaned the switches and then never actually used it... trying it in conjunction with the lefty track ball for now.

20211028_213439.jpg

I just switched from Logitech G502 (started having minor issues with the buttons) and G Pro keyboard (LEDs going out for certain colors) to Logitech G903 and Fnatic miniStreak TKL (Cherry Red Silent). I'm loving this new setup. Things feel light and smooth and I like the shape of the G903 a bit better than the G502.

Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse - PixArt PAW3389PRO-MS 16K Sensor
Microsoft Wired 600 (Black)

This summer I had two painful experiences.
I got RGB keyboard and MX518 mouse from Logitech, both came with defects, two times I did received replacement products, both times all had defects.
Then tried Corsair RGB keyboard, no defects but left shift key was small, and the software problematic, I had to return it and get refund (keyboard keys spacing this was huge = awkward design).

I am not willing to sacrifice my productivity by getting an awkward design of gaming keyboard.
Gaming does not pay back in cash, no matter of how good you are at it.

GMMK full-size with mostly Panda switches, some browns. Kind of want a GMMK Pro now.
Glorious Model O, previously an MX518 (the updated model)

On my main rig I have a Logitech MX Master 2s and a Corsair K95 RGB (the one with 18 G Keys) with Cherry MX Browns using static color profiles. I don't use the G Keys, but it was on sale for $50 less than the K70 when I bought it.

Other systems have a hodgepodge of inexpensive Logitech wireless KB/M sets, a couple old G15s (an original v1 and v2) and a ton of the not-quite-garbage 2004-era Dell generic KB/Ms I picked up for a few bucks at surplus.

Keyboard: Glorious GMMK TKL with Kailh Pro Burgundy switches and Corsair double shot PBT key caps.
Mouse: Razer Viper 8kHz.

Works great for work and gaming.

IMG_20211223_230209.jpg

Last edited:
For my desktop I am still using my Ducky One, black with white backlight and MX Green switches, as well as my modified MX518 relaunch mouse, weight modded to add more weight, but I did just pick up a nifty little mouse for my laptop when I am on the go.

Behold the Microsoft Arc Mouse.

When flat, it is turned off, and can easily be stored in a laptop bag pocket, or other tight space.

1640293404265.png

When folded into an arc it powers on, and is actually quite good. I probably wouldn't use it for a game or anything, but it is great for productivity work.

1640293675793.png

These have been around for quite some time, but I figured I'd share in case people have missed them because they are quite cool. This is an older discontinued version I bought because it comes with a USB dongle. The current versions are bluetooth only, and since I dual boot between Linux and Windows, this means I have to re-pair it to the other OS every time I reboot to switch, which is a pain.

A cool feature is that the scroll section in the center, while capacitive touch enabled, has a little tactile feedback buzzer in it so it actually feels like you are scrolling a stepped wheel.

The new ones look slightly different with a smooth uniform button area, and lack the tactile feedback scroll wheel feature (though you can still scroll by touch)

Last edited:
I finally gave in a bought a Glorious Model D and have to admit I absolutely love this thing. I never really wanted once because I thought they looked stupid with all the holes but was wanting a new mouse to try and after watching some reviews I finally gave in. This thing is maybe equal to the DeathAdder as far as perfectly shaped for my hand. I may go so far as to say it might be a little better. I've only been playing with it a couple days so my verdict isn't 100% in yet but as of now, this may be my new favorite all time mouse.

I'm really curious on this - for those whom aren't buying equipment that isn't mainstream, is it to just to create a new trend? Kind of like how listening to underground music is a thing? Why is it that the top 3, 4, or even 5 spot mouse or keyboard manufacturers(Logitech, Corsair, Steelseries, etc..) are not actually cutting it for you?

I'm really curious on this - for those whom aren't buying equipment that isn't mainstream, is it to just to create a new trend? Kind of like how listening to underground music is a thing? Why is it that the top 3, 4, or even 5 spot mouse or keyboard manufacturers(Logitech, Corsair, Steelseries, etc..) are not actually cutting it for you?
I got into mechanical keyboards because I was having problems with pain in my fingers. I used Corsairs for a long time--I still have a K70 on a lesser-used computer. Eventually I wound up looking for something better, and found that Cherry MX switches, at least the tactile ones in Corsair keyboards, are kind of mushy, and I discovered I liked the feel and actuation point of tactile keys--the ones I mostly use now, Kailh Speed Copper, actuate when you press about halfway down, and they feel, I dunno, crisper--there's a noticeable bump when you hit the actuation point.

As far as oddly-shaped keybs, I had a Microsoft Natural years ago, and liked it, so once I started looking beyond Corsair (and the like; I don't mean to single them out--as I said, I still use one almost daily) I started looking at ergonomic keyboards and smaller-key-count ones. I'm currently using a 65% (take a tenkeyless, throw away the F key row and two of the 6-key cluster over the arrow keys) and a Lily58. One of the other reasons I keep that Corsair is for gaming, as hitting key combos is a bit difficult when you throw in layers. Moving with WASD in a game, and then having to hit Fn+Q to mount a ride (because that's where I put the numeric keypad, and numpad 1-7 are where my mounts are) is a bit awkward, and, since I'm waiting on a long-delayed Ergodox that I'm hoping is my endgame, I don't want to invest the time building too much muscle memory on a specific layout I will be moving away from eventually.

I finally gave in a bought a Glorious Model D and have to admit I absolutely love this thing.
I've been using a Model O for a couple of years and I love it. There are other light mice out there, and maybe some that are even better, but mine works fine for me. I have like 3 of them for different computers, including one in a bag for the laptop.

I bought a SteelSeries Rival 5 and Apex 3 a few months ago on sale. I'm very happy with them. The Rival 5 is fairly light, has a great mesh fabric cord, and fits the shape of my hand almost naturally. It's only slightly too big as my thumb cannot reach one of the side buttons without having to briefly slide my grip forward. The Apex 3 is quiet, looks good, and has designated macro keys that are easily programmed and can be changed. I also don't care for the feel of mechanical keyboards, but that could just be because I haven't used them much. The 3 has the quiet membrane keys and I don't mind at all.
SteelSeries software kinda sucks, but considering I never have to use it if not making configuration changes, it's not a big deal. I'm very happy with both products.

I've been using a Model O for a couple of years and I love it. There are other light mice out there, and maybe some that are even better, but mine works fine for me. I have like 3 of them for different computers, including one in a bag for the laptop.
I had a Model O and, later, the O-. Sold the O because it was redundant, but I agree...great mice. I've grown to really prefer the light mice and have no desire to use the heavy ones anymore.

SteelSeries software kinda sucks
I think they all do. Corsair's was notoriously loathed for a while (have heard it's gotten better) and although I've been using a Razer Viper Mini as my primary mouse for a while, I have -zero- desire to install/use their Synapse software that (last I read) connects to the cloud and needs to be running all of the time. What I liked about Corsair's software when I had my K70 was that I could install it on a spare laptop, program the keyboard, store the profile to the onboard memory, and didn't need to keep the software running (sounds like what SteelSeries is doing).

I too need it for ergonomics. I was having pain in my hands--solved with going back to a Model M. Shoulder and neck was having bad burning after a day of working--logitech wired trackman solved that.

And while these tools work great for me so far, there weren't many choices when I was first looking 20+ years ago. Today, there's a lot more varieties (and even custom) so I'm still poking around with stuff that may prove to be even better.

As far as the top manufacturers, it's really about their product. I do have a logitech board with cherry blues (or equivalent) that my hands do like quite a bit even though it's no Model M, but there is slop and quality differences due to be a modern mainstream product versus what a specialized product from the past. I think I have a corsair board and it's the same thing. I know my topre board is quite nice, but it's not the layout I like (pure 101).

Went to a Razer Mamba Wireless mouse as an experiment coming from a Logitech G600, and so far I really like it! To the point where I think I'm going to move onto a Deathadder V2 Wireless for a final upgrade.

Also kind of finally wanting to nab a new mechanical keyboard after using the same Filco Majestouch for like 10 years haha. Maybe Keychron?

I use an iso layout and live in the US so it's a pain in the ass to get a "normal" brand one with the layout unless I want to order from europe and pay half the cost of the board in shipping. I was going to get another unicomp but they changed the 104/105 layout to some stupid nonstandard one. I use the right alt all the time and it really screws me up by putting it so far away and since I don't use my right thumb for spacebar it makes no sense for me to get a huge spacebar either.

I had a Model O and, later, the O-. Sold the O because it was redundant, but I agree...great mice. I've grown to really prefer the light mice and have no desire to use the heavy ones anymore.

I think they all do. Corsair's was notoriously loathed for a while (have heard it's gotten better) and although I've been using a Razer Viper Mini as my primary mouse for a while, I have -zero- desire to install/use their Synapse software that (last I read) connects to the cloud and needs to be running all of the time. What I liked about Corsair's software when I had my K70 was that I could install it on a spare laptop, program the keyboard, store the profile to the onboard memory, and didn't need to keep the software running (sounds like what SteelSeries is doing).
I really dig the viper mini, the thumb buttons on the other mini mouse are not as good imo though I usually like symmetrical mice better anyway besides the ancient logitech 3 button mouseman/wingman shape that the g600 is based on.

Last edited:
Mouse is a Logitech M500
It has been, by far, the most comfortable and longest lasting mouse that I've owned. I've replaced my home mouse with the MX Master, and it's good, but I don't love it yet as much as I love the M500.

Keyboard is:

Duck One 2 Skyline with Cherry MX Brown switches

I love mechanical keyboards for typing. I have the Cherry MX Blue switches in my home keyboard, and I wish I had them in my work keyboard, but I don't feel like driving everyone in my office insane. However, the MX Browns have the exact same profile as the MX Blues, just without the auditory feedback.

Back