What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

Discussion in 'Mice and Keyboards' started by SamirD, Feb 13, 2018.

1. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Kensington Expert Wired Trackball.
    Once you go track, you never go back.

2. TXE36

TXE36 n00b

Old school. Vintage IBM model M and CH Trackball Pro, both modified for USB. I've tried the newer clicky keyboards but they just don't compare with the classic. I like optical track balls for the lower hassle, but the ball bearings and pool ball in the CH make me keep coming back to it despite having to clean it more often. Both units are built like tanks.

Since going to a track ball, a long time ago, I've never gone back to a rodent other than a few flirtations that resulted in the purchase of a [H] Ratpadz.

-Mike

N4CR likes this.
  3. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

I have a slightly later IBM laying around that's intermittent (and was heavily gamed on), a model or two after the M and even though it's silicon membranes, it's super solid and still to this day my favorite silicon based keyboard. . I would gladly fight someone with that keyboard, it has 1-2mm steel backing for the keys, they don't build em like that much anymore.
    Love your choice of trackball, always wanted to try the CH Trackball pro, even better would be on the original bus setup on an old rig. But for modern use that USB mod is great, they are probably my favorite looking trackballs of all :D
    Same with the CST L-Track, uses same size ball as yours too, free spinning scroll is what I miss the most after an MX Master prior and that has it, plus external button support which would be best way around the issues with locked axis/slow mouse movement trigger incompatibility in the Kensington software.

4. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I agree. I like buckling spring the best too. I decided to try something newer this time around, but I kind for regret it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  5. TXE36

TXE36 n00b

An intermittent model M is a symptom of a loose backplate. Newer IBM model Ms used heat swaged plastic pins to attache the back plate. Over time these can crack. The fix is to do the "bolt mod": https://wiki.geekhack.org/index.php?title=Modifications:IBM_Model_M:Nut_and_Bolt_Mod

Mine is going to need this someday as every once in a while I have to thump it on the desk to get back a group of keys that go dead.

LOL on the "fight someone", I almost commented you could use it as a weapon - it would make an effective bat.

X-Mouse Button Control may be your friend here. It can program all four buttons of the CH including decent scroll with the ball. It may work with yours as well and it's free. I hadn't seen the CST L-Track - looks interesting.

The other cool thing about the CH is you can easily replace the ball. The dirt cheap ($4) Mizerak cue ball is very heavy and has a relatively soft surface. After a bit of break in, it glides really well and the weight is really good for CAD/drawing/PCB layout work. I've also got a higher quality black cue ball from a billiard store ($10) that weighs a bit less and for gaming, a snooker ball which is very light. The ball that came with it was good quality too. It's nice to be able to customize it so cheap.

There is a CH DT225 sometimes branded "Hologic" that is a native USB that gets rid of the hassle of getting a Trackball Pro serial to work on USB. One word of warning, the Trackball Pro serial is very picky about serial to USB adapters as the serial port voltage for most of these things is way lower than a real RS-232 port. I wound up making my own serial to USB adapter out of a Pro Micro hobbyist board and changing some resistors in the Trackball Pro. The DT225 is hassle free, but more expensive, about $80 used on Ebay. Trackball Pros can be had cheap if one has patience, I think I scored a NIB old stock one for $25. The bearings on the CH Trackballs are cheap and easy to replace and a good fix for one that feels gritty even when clean or if it skips.

-Mike

N4CR likes this.
  6. AG1M

AG1M n00b

Keyboard: Ducky Miya Pro Panda Edition @ MX Black Switches + QMX clips
    Mouse: Nixeus Revel @ Paracord cable
    Pad: SteelSeries DeX

setup_new.png

Lateralus, revenant and Mopower like this.
  7. Geforcepat

Geforcepat Gawd

Logitech G410 and logitech G303
    Gonna try to get a new mouse this spring/summer. wish we could get a g9 revial.

8. FrEaKy

FrEaKy [H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy

Keyboard is a Drevo Blademaster Pro with Cherry MX Silver switches, keycaps are HyperX PBT Pudding Caps. Plan on picking up a couple accent keys later to complete.

20190430_072459.jpg

Mouse not shown is Logitech MX Ergo trackball mouse to finish off the work setup.

N4CR, Commander Shepard and Lateralus like this.
  9. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

My newest keyboard is the heaviest and best built beast I've ever tried. KBDFans75 with MX Silver switches and RGB light strip around the base. I added a set of PBT doubleshot key caps, but probably will swap them for a different color scheme.

EDIT: I listed it in the For Sale thread. It requires some pesky programming to modify key mapping/functions. I ain't in the mood for all that.

IMG_20190501_171444.jpg IMG_20190501_171502.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  10. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

I can't help but wonder, what's the point of backlighting if the keycaps don't have translucent lettering?

11. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard 2[H]4U

The keys are not backlit, only the strip around the base. The light you see is just reflected from inside the base.

12. Domingo

Domingo Skip My Posts

More than a year later I'm still waiting for a new G700S or some type of successor.

13. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

Well, the other day my Glorious PC Gaming Race keyboard started screwing up. The thing quit registering a couple of the keys so I went back to my Ducky Shine Zero. I may take the PC Gaming Race keyboard apart and see what I can do with it, but the Ducky will do for now.

schizrade likes this.
  14. schizrade

schizrade [H]ardness Supreme

RIP PCMRKYBD.

My Vortex Vibe is probably the best kybd I have ever used.