What Mouse and Keyboard Are You Using Right Now?

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse.
IMG_0741.JPEG

Mad Maxx

Supreme [H]ardness
This is the best keyboard for typing I've ever used - Logitech MX Keys. My only gripe is that it's not available in tenkeyless. That aside, it's so easy and comfortable to type quickly and accurately on the MX. It's very well-built, too. I wouldn't recommend it for gaming, but if you're a writer or coder, you'll love this keyboard.

View attachment 196761
I found a scissor switch keyboard that solves my only complaint about the Logitech MX Keys I raved about over a year ago.

Logitech MX Keys Mini!! (y)

PXL_20211013_173651765.jpg

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse.
View attachment 354107

Serious question, not trying to troll.

Do you actually LIKE typing on those flat chiclet keys, or is it more of a choice out of aesthetics?

Personally I'd choose almost anything over one of those flat chiclet/island designs, including 90's rubber dome keyboards.

This is the primary reason I am still using a laptop from 2011. I can't buy one with a decent keyboard anymore. They are all these awful flat chiclet/island designs now.

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness

Do you actually LIKE typing on those flat chiclet keys, or is it more of a choice out of aesthetics?

Personally I'd choose almost anything over one of those flat chiclet/island designs, including 90's rubber dome keyboards.

This is the primary reason I am still using a laptop from 2011. I can't buy one with a decent keyboard anymore. They are all these awful flat chiclet/island designs now.
Some are really nice–had a laptop with some that I really liked. Also had a cheap Logitech kb that hurt my fingertips because the actuation force was too much and when it dropped I would bottom out.

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Well, almost 3 years later and I'm still on the same Model M and same trackball. :D I'm not one for change, haha--especially when it's already perfect! :)

And come to think of it, it's been at least 8 years on this set (so 5 years before I started the thread) and prior to that it was at least 7 years on maybe this set or one of my spares of the same thing. :eek: And I guess if I want to go back even further, I started typing on the Model M in 1989 so that's what...30+ years. :eek::eek::eek::nailbiting::nailbiting: Damn I'm old. :(:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure about the trackball, I could never get used to those (do you actually use it for games?) but it is tough to beat a Model M for delicious typing. You'd have to find an old Model F, and that's about it.

I used Model M's for years. My first PC came with one back in 1991. Throughout the 90's I got stuck with various rubber dome boards, and always felt something was missing, but never looked into it. Got back into Model M's in 2005. You could still pick one up in perfect shape on eBay for like $30 back then. It is crazy what they cost now.

Amazing to type on. Aesthetically, less than pleasing.

Then I solved the second part by up a Black Model M13 Trackpoint II. I loved that thing.

5091177536_21ea1f443d_k.jpg

(my picture)

Only downside was the keycaps. The regular beige/grey Model M's used dye sublimated keycaps. They would never wear off. You obviously can't do this with black keys, so they pad printed white letters on them, and then used a thin clear coat to try to protect them.

Unfortunately it took me only about 2 years to wear through the protectant and make it look all ugly. For a while I got replacement keycaps from Unicomp. I replaced them twice, but the third time they informed me that they had stopped making them, and that I just bought the last set. Understanding that I had a somewhat rare keyboard, I cleaned it up, replaced the caps, and put it in storage, not wanting to ruin something rare.

That's when I replaced it with the modern Unicomp designs. They were not bad, but the fit and finish was a downgrade from the old Model M's, and they also were nowhere near as solid.

_DSC5743%2B-%2BCopy.jpg

(Not my picture)

It was nice to have the windows key and USB though (although the USB controller was very slow to initialize making it difficult to hit DEL to get into BIOS, requiring many retries.

After a few years I started looking around for alternatives. I wanted something aesthetically a little newer looking, maybe with mildly backlit keys to help in a dark room (I can mostly type without looking but I never learned to properly touch type. it's funny. As long as I am not thinking about typing without looking I can do it perfectly. As long as I try to consciously be all like "look at me, I'm typing without looking" it fails completely)

After much research and disappointment in the options, I wound up with a black Ducky One (the first one) with white backlit keys and Cherry MX Green (clicky, very heavy, to try to mimic the Model M experience)

1634156589792.png

Ducky makes some great keyboards. Very solid (as far as modern boards go, not original Model M style) and excellent fit and finish.

They biggest weakness is not their own fault. It's simply that try as much as you might, no Cherry MX or Cherry MX clone switch will ever live up to the Model M's buckling springs.

It's nice to ahve some backlight, and a slightly more modern stylish look though. Native USB and NKRO also doesn't hurt, but it is a compromize at best.

I've often wished that someone would come along, license the Buckling Spring technology from Unicomp and apply it in a modern industrial designed keyboard with back-lighting, and a completely reworked control board to allow for NKRO and native USB.

Heck, if I found myself with millions of dollars and no dea what to do with them, I'd take it on as a passion project. Unfortunately, that is not me.

Last edited:

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Some are really nice–had a laptop with some that I really liked. Also had a cheap Logitech kb that hurt my fingertips because the actuation force was too much and when it dropped I would bottom out.

I feel like we probably type very differently.

I am a very heavy typer. I smash every key into submission. Bottoming out doesn't begin to describe it. I like the heaviest keys possible, probably due to decades of typing on IBM Model M's

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
I feel like we probably type very differently.

I am a very heavy typer. I smash every key into submission. Bottoming out doesn't begin to describe it. I like the heaviest keys possible, probably due to decades of typing on IBM Model M's
It's not so much that the actuation force was too much, more that the difference between before the detent and after was too much, so the key would slam down if you didn't use just enough force.

I'm happy with MX Browns, for reference. I haven't used any other cherry switches, so can't say if they're my favorite.

TheSlySyl

[H]ard|Gawd
I finally got a switch testing kit for Cherry, Outemu and Gateron switches. My personal takeaway is that I really prefer linear switches for both typing and gaming. Blue switches clickity clack really annoys the hell out of me, browns are decent but the bump doesn't really do it for me. It kinda made me feel like i was double clicking a button at times?
I honestly think i'd do best with silver speed switches but I haven't built a keyboard out of them yet. Easy to presss, low actuation points seems to be my thing.

I picked up a couple cheap mechanical keyboards over the past few months, tried smaller sizes as I was mostly looking to find something that i can use with my laptop. Turns out 60% without dedicated arrow keys are fucking antithesis of how I use a keyboard. So that didn't last long. I then picked up a 63%, same form factor but a smaller shift so that it can have dedicated arrow keys and i'm pretty happy with it. Currently using a Dierya DK63 white with red switches and it can fit in my laptop bag and also connect to a lot of things with bluetooth.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mechanical-Keyboard-Bluetooth-Wireless-Multi-Device/dp/B091THNWVM/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=dierya+dk63&qid=1634162353&sr=8-3&th=1

I did modify it a little and I present to you: My Bulba Board.
kGNeRVdWHSs1DyYQOzxVnI9T=w2675-h2006-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:

revenant

[H]F Junkie
yeah my little Dell laptop has rubber topped chiclet style key and I can fly on that one.. it's remarkably easy to type on... but a full sized kb with mechanical keys are my ideal.

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement

Ya, I actually like the flat keys. I don't use that mac keyboard much but I do use Logitech G815's on my main rigs and the flat style keys feel much nicer than traditional keys for typing.

Captain Newmackwa

Limp Gawd
I also like high quality, tactile scissor switch low profile keys on some laptops and apple keyboards. I seem to type most accurately with them.

That said, I have come across a lot of low quality chicklet-style laptop keys and keyboards and they do suck.

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
I've been using this ducky one2 SF with MX Blues for a while, and don't really like it. Not sure what I want to try next. I have another mech with mx brown that I kind of like, but I can definitely type the fastest and most accurately on my macbook pro keyboard. Maybe I should try one more mech to see if I can find something I like.

Mad Maxx

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been using this ducky one2 SF with MX Blues for a while, and don't really like it. Not sure what I want to try next. I have another mech with mx brown that I kind of like, but I can definitely type the fastest and most accurately on my macbook pro keyboard. Maybe I should try one more mech to see if I can find something I like.
You might want to try the Logitech MX Keys or MX Keys Mini f you type best on a laptop keyboard.

atarione

2[H]4U
Somewhat unsuccessfully Filco MT-2 TKL (great..used for years) and a left hand Elecom EX-G (M-XT4DRBK-G) trackball mouse... I have tremors in my left hand and I am having a real problem getting any accuracy at all with the trackball if I'm honest ... trying to decide if to mess with it more and see if I can master it.. or if to give up... in fairness I have tremors in my right hand as well and nerve damage on my right ring finger.. so I have a bit of a hard time with regular mice left or right handed as well..... but It looks like a drunk trying to move the cursor with my left thumb moving around with the tremors... If I'm honest the hand tremors and nerve damage are more problematic but it is annoying using pc's at this point.

20211027_201217.jpg

edit::: God **** it it took me like three tries to click post on this when I just tried it... good times..

Last edited:

Nobu

Supreme [H]ardness
Somewhat unsuccessfully Filco MT-2 TKL (great..used for years) and a left hand Elecom EX-6 trackball mouse... I have tremors in my left hand and I am having a really problem getting any accuracy at all with the trackball if I'm honest ... trying to decide if to mess with it more and see if I can master it.. or if to give up... in fairness I have tremors in my right hand as well and nerve damage on my right ring finger.. so I have a bit of a hard time with regular mice left or right handed as well..... but It looks like a drunk trying to move the cursor with my left thumb moving around with the tremors... If I'm honest the hand tremors and nerve damage are more problematic but it is annoying using pc's at this point.

View attachment 407218

edit::: God **** it it took me like three tries to click post on this when I just tried it... good times..
I used to love that style of trackball, but the ones they make nowadays are almost all the opposite of ergonomic. The center ball style is much easier to use ergonomically (trick is to use the bottom of your fingers/palm and keep your hand above the mouse, off the rest), although maybe not as good for more precise pointing. Regardless, I usually turn the sensitivity down a bit since I can just flick the ball to move across the screen as long as acceleration is set high enough.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Somewhat unsuccessfully Filco MT-2 TKL (great..used for years) and a left hand Elecom EX-G (M-XT4DRBK-G) trackball mouse... I have tremors in my left hand and I am having a really problem getting any accuracy at all with the trackball if I'm honest ... trying to decide if to mess with it more and see if I can master it.. or if to give up... in fairness I have tremors in my right hand as well and nerve damage on my right ring finger.. so I have a bit of a hard time with regular mice left or right handed as well..... but It looks like a drunk trying to move the cursor with my left thumb moving around with the tremors... If I'm honest the hand tremors and nerve damage are more problematic but it is annoying using pc's at this point.

View attachment 407218

Filco FTW…nerve damage FTL…sucks that PCs are annoying for you to use, man. I hope you won’t/don’t have to give them up!

atarione

2[H]4U
I used to love that style of trackball, but the ones they make nowadays are almost all the opposite of ergonomic. The center ball style is much easier to use ergonomically (trick is to use the bottom of your fingers/palm and keep your hand above the mouse, off the rest), although maybe not as good for more precise pointing. Regardless, I usually turn the sensitivity down a bit since I can just flick the ball to move across the screen as long as acceleration is set high enough.

Thanx for the tips.. yeah it had been years since I tried to use a trackball, I use to use a right handed M$ one that was amazing.. but Microsoft apparently lost interest in that market looong ago? .. The way the Elecom is designed it seems to be made for a palm grip, but this is leading to a lot of twitchy input on my part because of my thumb being somewhat prone to moving around from the tremors... on the upside, I finally have been messing around trying to figure it out rather than giving up and switching back to my Sensie 310 (worst scroll wheel not ever..but it sucks) ... I feel like I'm making progress, I also messed around with the sensitivity and that seems to help (thanx for the tip)...

Filco FTW…nerve damage FTL…sucks that PCs are annoying for you to use, man. I hope you won’t/don’t have to give them up!
yes, thank you... for the time being I think I can soldier on, some days it is more of problem than others it was bothering me more than normal..

Today I did a bunch of cleaning / moving stuff around on my desk (ruined my back.. I hope I can actually move tomorrow =p) .. Regardless i swapped the Sensei 310 for this old Sensei MLG (that I repainted because it wore through ... I forgot how much more I like the MLG over the 310.. for a hand feel point of view.. in retrospect I would have paint the MLG black / dark gray or white if I had it to do over again.. I actually painted this thing years ago and replaced the feet..and cleaned the switches and then never actually used it... trying it in conjunction with the lefty track ball for now.

20211028_213439.jpg

apple2gs

2[H]4U
For my daily driver I use a unicomp new modle M and love every glorius click it makes.

KJ43

Limp Gawd
I just switched from Logitech G502 (started having minor issues with the buttons) and G Pro keyboard (LEDs going out for certain colors) to Logitech G903 and Fnatic miniStreak TKL (Cherry Red Silent). I'm loving this new setup. Things feel light and smooth and I like the shape of the G903 a bit better than the G502.

Microsoft Pro IntelliMouse - PixArt PAW3389PRO-MS 16K Sensor
Microsoft Wired 600 (Black)

This summer I had two painful experiences.
I got RGB keyboard and MX518 mouse from Logitech, both came with defects, two times I did received replacement products, both times all had defects.
Then tried Corsair RGB keyboard, no defects but left shift key was small, and the software problematic, I had to return it and get refund (keyboard keys spacing this was huge = awkward design).

I am not willing to sacrifice my productivity by getting an awkward design of gaming keyboard.
Gaming does not pay back in cash, no matter of how good you are at it.