What motherboards for X2s?

Spacy9

Scotch is my Lord and Savior
Do all of the 939 motherboards automatically support the X2s? Is there a list of which motherboards will support it out of the box? I'm looking at getting an Gigabyte SLI board but it doesn't say it officially supports X2s?

Thanks for any help or suggestions on the motherboard.

anything but a via k8t890 based mobo or gigabyte board

i'd personally go with dfi for overclocking, or epox for no overclocking
msi or asus if you need the crazy features :p

all of them should, some might need a bios flash though... but yeah, dfi if your gonna oc :cool:

Huh, I didn't know Gigabyte was that bad... So the DFI is better for OCing? Okay, is this one good:

DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

the via k8t890 is known to be incompatible. not sure on why though :rolleyes:

and i dislike gigabyte.. that's a personal thing though

I'd have to agree about the DFI. I own a Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI. Got it running at 267fsb. I'm happy with it, but it won't overclock much over that without boosting the vcore and vdimm (which I'm not gonna do).

I didnt know that gigabyte wasnt going to make a bios update.....that makes me sad!

Eclipse, can you prove this? (I believe you, just want to see it in writing)

I also dislike Gigabyte.

Over the years, I have had 2 of thier boards, both went bad after a few months, both were RMA'd, both were gone for over 2 months, and both were poorly reworked when they came back, one of them only had 1 functioning PCI slot, (out of 5), both went bad again shortly after the 1 year warrenty ran out.

I'll never buy another Gigabyte board.

I piss on Gigabyte's grave. Although that damn iRAM is tempting. Damn them and their iRAM.

I am yet another person that has had several bad experiences with Gigabyte boards...1 failed within a week, 1 DOA, and the other was a horrid overclocker.

I also happen to be a DFI !!!!!! after using two of their boards. One is in my sig and the other is the LanParty UT NF3 250GB which just replaced my MSI after it radomly failed about 9 months out. Both DFI boards were able to push the CPUs slightly further than their predecessors and were every bit as stable. The UV can be cool too if you have a nice window and UV lights.

From what I have read to date, most or all s939 boards will support that CPU with a bios update.

Thanks for all of the responses!

Here is a question that will show that I haven't built a new computer in a little over 2 years.

Can you overclock the CPU without overclocking the Memory on the DFI motherboards? In other words will DDR400 be good for overclocking or do I need to get DDR433, 466, 500 etc... so the memory won't be the bottleneck?

Thanks again.

is there any way to flash the bios if thing won't boot up properly because it has an X2 chip in it? I'm afraid of buying a MSI board and an X2 chip and not even able to flash the bios.

(cf)Eclipse said:
... or epox for no overclocking...
Thats somewhat below the belt :), i think you mean no ram overclocking, as ive pointed out several times, they overclock pretty well on the cpu. It is worth noting that not all EPoX boards are nforce though, dont get the via ones, not even the sli 754 one, which would could be too cool to resist.

well, I am the minority:

I love gigabyte - I have an 8KTA3L+ Socket A with my 2500+ Barton in it that has been chugging along at 2.2 ghz for 3 years now.

I loved it so much that I run a gigabyte with my 3000+ venice @ 2.434 with generic $30 newegg RAM. I have never had a problem with them, but I guess I'm lucky. :)

fuelvolts said:
well, I am the minority:

I love gigabyte - I have an 8KTA3L+ Socket A with my 2500+ Barton in it that has been chugging along at 2.2 ghz for 3 years now.

I loved it so much that I run a gigabyte with my 3000+ venice @ 2.434 with generic $30 newegg RAM. I have never had a problem with them, but I guess I'm lucky. :)
I wouldn't say you were lucky, but maybe the others were unlucky. I happen to like Gigabyte as well. I've used 5 motherboards from them over the past 3 years, and I've never had a single problem with any of them. Of course, I never overclocked because the ol' socket A XP ran so damn hot to begin with. But now that I have a Venice, I've not seen any problems with my K8NXP-SLI overclocked to 267fsb. My 4x512MB of memory is right at 200MHz, so maybe keeping the memory at spec is the key to keeping a Gigabyte board stable. I don't know.

But to get back on topic... I read a post in another forum that the "F9" bios revision released on 5-11-05 for the GA-K8NSNXP-939 is compatible with the X2's. I've sent an email to tech support asking about my motherboard model.

Herulach said:
Thats somewhat below the belt :), i think you mean no ram overclocking, as ive pointed out several times, they overclock pretty well on the cpu
this is true, perhaps i should have said value board for moderate to no overclocking then :D

fuelvolts said:
I didnt know that gigabyte wasnt going to make a bios update.....that makes me sad!

Eclipse, can you prove this? (I believe you, just want to see it in writing)
i think you misinterpreted me. i'm fairly certain that they will support X2, i just dislike their recent mobo's.. especially in regards to ram support and compatibility. i think the very new ones have gotten better though, and it was mostly the s754 and early s939 boards that had issues :(

(cf)Eclipse said:
i think you misinterpreted me. i'm fairly certain that they will support X2, i just dislike their recent mobo's.. especially in regards to ram support and compatibility. i think the very new ones have gotten better though, and it was mostly the s754 and early s939 boards that had issues :(

Ahhhh...got it - you had me scared for a minute there! To each, his own.

i've only had experience with dfi's and asus' so i'd suggest going with one of those. asus dont oc nearly as dfi's do though. but they're more user friendly.

(cf)Eclipse said:
i just dislike their recent mobo's.. especially in regards to ram support and compatibility. i think the very new ones have gotten better though, and it was mostly the s754 and early s939 boards that had issues :(

Recent? They've had issues for years and years.

ashmedai said:
Recent? They've had issues for years and years.
i have had close experiences with an nf2 gigabyte (not actually mine) and it didn't seem to have any issues.. though it was with 2x256mb of bh-5 :p

I've had no problems with Gigabyte boards. I used to have a g7vaxp and it worked perfectly up until the moment I put it in someone else's system, in which it has also worked perfectly.

I also built an Opteron machine for a coworker with a Gigabyte board, which he has had no problems with.

I have ordered a Gigabyte s939 board for my next upgrade. You could find hordes of people for any brand who profess to hate them and will never by them again, so take it with a grain of salt. And I see no reason why they wouldn't support X2 on a bios update.

my vote is for a8n-sli.. awesomely stable board.. decent overclocker.. tons o' features.

Gigabyte replied to my question and sent me the X2 BIOS image (revision F8; not available on their web site yet) for the K8NXP-SLI.
If anyone wants it, PM me and provide an email address - it's 512kb in size.

Back