What motherboard manufacture supports their board the longest?

Jovian

Limp Gawd
Its getting to be time to replace my current gaming desktop and I typically keep them for 5 years or so before putting it on server duty. One annoying thing that happens every time is after a year or so the manufacture never releases any updates. Now I dont care if they keep up with the chipset drivers and such I can go to the Intel/AMD for that. What is more of a problem is the BIOS, IME and other things only the motherboard manufacture can update that I want longer support on.

Im not talking about warranty but security issues and future hardware support I want patched in.

I have had ASUS, Gigabyte and MSI over the years and all seem to stop updating once the product isnt being sold anymore. I want to purchase my next board from what ever manufacture provides updates the longest after its stopped being current. Anyone have any incite into this?

AMD or Intel? Hands down you’ll have longer life from AMD sockets. Including updates for future cpu’s.

I have an HP Elitebook from 2012 with an Ivy Bridge i7, and it's still getting BIOS updates. It got the Spectre / Meltdown fixes as soon as that was publicized, and the latest released BIOS is from August of this year.
If you want long support - get enterprise-class gear.

Windows 10 & Asus TUF series: 5 Years not to be confused with TUF gaming series. which is only 3 year board warranty. Asus has been good about keeping it's drivers and bios up to date in support of boards for the duration of it's warranty but little more. This is a very suspect challange when you consider Intels baked in flaws. The only way to stay current is to upgrade at least every other year to stay ahead of exploits or pick your posin and take your chances.

AMD or Intel? Hands down you’ll have longer life from AMD sockets. Including updates for future cpu’s.

This time around it will likely be Ryzen, will be my first AMD chip since the Athlon XP 2100+. But more looking at BIOS updates verse socket support.

I have an HP Elitebook from 2012 with an Ivy Bridge i7, and it's still getting BIOS updates. It got the Spectre / Meltdown fixes as soon as that was publicized, and the latest released BIOS is from August of this year.
If you want long support - get enterprise-class gear.

Nice thats really good to know, almost all my equipment didn't get Spectre/Meldown bios updates which made me sad and brought about this whole thing. So much equipment from vendors is the same, I figured long term updates could be the thing that differentiates it for me. Sadly I do want to build my own system not get a prebuilt, so HP wont work in this situation but next laptop it might!

Windows 10 & Asus TUF series: 5 Years not to be confused with TUF gaming series. which is only 3 year board warranty. Asus has been good about keeping it's drivers and bios up to date in support of boards for the duration of it's warranty but little more. This is a very suspect challange when you consider Intels baked in flaws. The only way to stay current is to upgrade at least every other year to stay ahead of exploits or pick your posin and take your chances.

Yeah this is very true, software fixes only mask the underlying hardware problems. I dont have the money to upgrade every year which is why im trying this route for long term. Thank for the Asus TUF suggestion so far this is going on the top of my list. I dont need a gaming branded motherboard, so this isnt a problem for me. I likely wont be overclocking as im done with special cooling setups.

Back