What Modern CPU to pair with 5870 2GB?

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
Copy and paste doesn't really work on my phone, so I can use the template, but I have a 5870 sitting afound and would like to build a pc for the living room.

What moden CPU should I pair this card with?
I have the following parts:
5870 2GB Eyefinity Edition
16 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
750w Ultra PSU
Thermaltake mid tower

I will be overclocking the 5870 to atleast 950 on core and keeping memory stock (it doesn't like overclocking at all).

I'm using this for gaming: WII/Gamcube / PS2 / PS1 / N64 Emulation, 2D Emulation, some modern games. Online video streaming, and browsing.

My HDTV is 720p, and I have 2x1680x1050 displays I may put on a desk in the living room too.

I live in newprt news va and I don't have a microcenter shipping

I'm building this asap with a budget around $300. Doesn't include taxes or shipping.

Last edited:
I think an ivy bridge i3 is more than enough for this

I concur but I want to make sure that OP has a good PSU and compatible RAM before I start doing recommendations. Unfortunately Ultra had a lot of shitty 750W PSUs but they did have one or two good ones. As for the RAM, some Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM were rated at 1.65V which would make no good for an Intel based setup.

Speaking of which, what's the exact model number of those RAM? Or at the very least, what voltage are they rated at?

Which Ultra 750W PSU do you have?

I have to check when I get off work.

I concur but I want to make sure that OP has a good PSU and compatible RAM before I start doing recommendations. Unfortunately Ultra had a lot of shitty 750W PSUs but they did have one or two good ones. As for the RAM, some Corsair DDR3 1333 RAM were rated at 1.65V which would make no good for an Intel based setup.

Speaking of which, what's the exact model number of those RAM? Or at the very least, what voltage are they rated at?

Same as ram in sig.

Last edited:
The RAM is good. However the PSU isn't. That particular Ultra is a pretty crappy PSU and I would highly recommend replacing it.

All right so here's what I recommend:
$115 - Intel Core i3-3220 CPU
$73 - Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Intel B75 mATX Motherboard
$70 - XFX Core Edition PRO550W 550W PSU
---
Total: $258 shipped.

If you need a hard drive, that's another $57:
$57 - Seagate Spinpoint ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back