What mobo do I need for this?

djBon2112

Supreme [H]ardness
OK, I'm a little confused with AMD's current lineup, I've been out of the game for a bit.

I just got a Phenom II X4 940, and some RAM (DDR3, I thought) through a trade, and I went an ordered an MSI 790FX-GD70. However, after a reading a bit, that motherboard is AM3 and the processor is listed as AM2+.

My question... how do these fit together? Will that processor work with that motherboard?

perfectly, they fit together, and will function, perfectly. AM3 just specifies DDR3, and AM2+ specifies DDR2.

Now, what about the RAM? It's 1066MHz RAM, but I'm not sure if they're DDR2 or 3. Will both work in the mobo? I'm thinking no but I might keep my hopes up ;)

I'm afraid MrWizard6600 has given you some poor information. The P2-940 is a AM2+ cpu and will not work in a AM3 socket board. You have an AM3 board and ram. The logical thing to do would be sell the 940 and get an AM3 cpu.

Just read your last post. @1066 it sounds more then likely it is DDR2 ram, especially if it was bundled with the CPU. In that case cancel or return your new board and get the AM2+ version.

Last edited:
Or he could return the board and get an AM2+/AM3 compatible board..

Also, you NEED to figure out what kind of RAM you got. All RAM has a notch in it on the bottom of the module and will only fit one way. If the notch is in the center, it is DDR3, if it is offset a bit it's DDR2.

EDIT: Get a board that supports an AM2+ processor, there are many now, and you will be good to go.

Last edited:
Back