What memory to get?

Rhialto

Gawd
Could be a dumb question... but I ask anyway. The fact is I'm thinking of building a new rig and even if I somewhat keep reading news about motherboard and such every week, I'm not up to date on everything. I'm currently jus starting to focus more on building a new setup but I thought I would ask a few questions. The memory is a good exemple... double/triple channel, interleaved, speed, timing, etc. Too many data I'm not sure.

I plan on getting a Z68 μATX board, maybe the ASUS GENE-Z if not too expensive. Processor will probably be a 2500K that I will safely overclock (mean not pushing it extreme)

What memory and optimal setup I must be looking for? I have no idea what speed I must be looking for. 1333? 1600? higher? Double or triple channel? DDR2 was about latency, this is maybe less obvious with DDR3 so I guess I don't need to go crazy and paid a premium for perf I won't notice. I think OC is done only on multiplier so memory is not affected, right? So much questions...

Thanks!

with the way sandy bridge's memory controller is built there really is no benefit with going over 1333 cl9 1.5v - dual channel btw.

Thanks both.. I'm heading to read the discussion about ram speed and latency.

Back