What low profile video card will fit Dell Optiplex SFF 3010 (Dells specifies AMD Radeon R5 240 1gb but I want something better.)

MY guess is any 75W half height card would work, unless it would refuse to fall back on PCE2.0 for some reason. The PSU is small enough I'm assuming you don't have a 6pin connector to run anything more powerful even if you could find one that would fit.

EDIT. apparently the SFF version is limited to 50W on the PCIe slot (page 16). If that's a hard limit you might be stuck with something like a 1030, because anyhing bigger will want 75W.

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_3010_technical_guidebook.pdf

Maybe a wire converter to convert a connection to something to be able to plug into a card to get the extra power is in order? Just spit-balling here.

Even if you got a better card it sounds like it could be cpu limited depending on the SFF CPU in your system.

Edit:

May want to post about this in the small form factor sub. May get more play there and if you add specifics of your motherboard, case etc. If this information is already there disregard.

Last edited:
The only one slot card I have on hand is a Evga 8800 GT lol.. man have we evolved..

just run an external 12v brick and cut a full size card in with a dremel, it's not hard, onl yissue is draw on the port if it goes over spec and doesn't use external molex

MY guess is any 75W half height card would work, unless it would refuse to fall back on PCE2.0 for some reason. The PSU is small enough I'm assuming you don't have a 6pin connector to run anything more powerful even if you could find one that would fit.

EDIT. apparently the SFF version is limited to 50W on the PCIe slot (page 16). If that's a hard limit you might be stuck with something like a 1030, because anyhing bigger will want 75W.

https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex_3010_technical_guidebook.pdf
I think a 1030 would be fine for it. I just built a new pc, so was thinking of putting the Dell in my son's room so he could play some games in there; but unless I get a good deal on the 1030 probably money better spent towards a newer full size GPU like an RX570 or GTX1650 Super or similar in the new pc.

I have a GT 1030 I'm not using. How about $40 shipped in the US? PM me if you're interested.

If you're going to get a GT1030, make sure you get one with GDDR5 instead of DDR4. It's like triple the memory bandwidth.

Honestly, the 1030 is not a great card. I got it as a spare when I was RMAing another card.

I would recommend probably getting something decent if you want to game.

Back