What Linux OS should be used?

mr. nails

Limp Gawd
LoL, I've never used Linux for home use at all and have never really looked into it either.

What Linux OS is being used?

To further show I have no idea about wtf I'll also ask is Ubuntu and Linux the same?

Thx.

Ubuntu is a good distro to use if you are a beginner with Linux, IMO.

Ubuntu is a distro (or version so to speak) of Linux. Check out distrowatch for a ton more info

Linux is the kernel (core) of the OS. Ubuntu is the name of the collection of software packages (called a distribution or "distro") built up around the Linux kernel. There's many other distros such as Mint, Fedora, ArchLinux, etc, each one offering it's own variety of packages, user interface, and management options

The good thing about Linux distros are that most are available as live CDs, meaning you can try them out by burning them and booting from the CD. That way you can check out a bunch of them without having to install anything to your hard drive.

I too would try Ubuntu first.

I found Ubuntu and its variations to be the easiest and most userfriendly with big wiki knowledge base. Kubuntu is good for netbooks. Also tried Knopix which was quite decent.

Actully kubuntu may look pretty but hogs more resoures. A good light one is crunch bang or lubuntu. I would recommend LMDE thou

The good thing about Linux distros are that most are available as live CDs, meaning you can try them out by burning them and booting from the CD. That way you can check out a bunch of them without having to install anything to your hard drive.

I too would try Ubuntu first.

That's GREAT to know! Thx!

Back