what kind of PSU should i buy?

Hello,

im just looking for some professional options on what kind of psu is should buy for my new computer.

I would rather is was modular.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

BFG Tech BFGEGTX2801024E GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

This PSU should be enough power for your needs:
Corsair 520HX 520W Modular PSU - $98

Though if you want some more headroom, get this PSU instead:
Corsair 620HX 620W Modular PSU - $140

And I do not recommend getting the AC7 Pro. It's simply not good enough for the Q6600. I recommend this HSF instead:
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle HSF - $37 & Retention Bracket - $7

And a few more parts recommendations:
Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $62
G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM - $80 (No reason whatsoever to get DDR2 1066 RAM for the Q6600, even with overclocking in mind)

well i will consider the ram but at this point i have already bought the ram and the fan. i could send them back but the restocking fee plus the time... im thinking ill just stick with what i have on that sense... what do you think about the motherboard. i had to send it back and now im buying a new one. i was going to go with the same one but if you have a better recommendation ill take that into consideration.

oh and side note. i was told that my video card will suck the life out of my computer if i dont have enough power. is that for sure going to be enough for this system?

For sure the 520HX will be enough power. But I would get the 620HX just to be on the safe side.

Some other motherboard recommendations:
Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3L Intel P43 Motherboard - $95
MSI P45 Neo3-FR Intel P45 Motherboard - $120
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $135
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Motherboard - $150
DFI Lanparty DK X38-T2R Intel X38 Motherboard - $180
Asus P5E Deluxe Intel X48 Motherboard - $220
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Intel X48 Motherboard - $225

Just to help you out: All of these motherboards have PCI-E 2.0 which may be useful for future GPU upgrades. If you don't need RAID, more than 6 SATA ports and only need semi-decent overclocking, check out the DS3L. If you need 8 SATA ports, RAID, 4 PCI slots, and legacy ports, then get the Neo3-Fr. If you don't need more than 6 SATA ports but want RAID, firewire, a second PCI-E x16 port, a second gigabit port, support for 16GB of RAM, optional eSATA, x8/x8 Crossfire, and high overclocks, then get the DS3R. If you like the DS3R but need 8 SATA ports, want an onboard pre-installed fast booting Linux setup, only need support for 8GB of RAM and don't need a second gigabit port, get the Asus P5Q Pro. If you want Crossfire with full x16/x16 bandwidth, get the Lanparty DK X38. If you have cash to burn and don't give a damn about getting the most value for your money, get the Asus or Gigabyte X48 motherboards. Do note that the Asus website can be slow sometimes.

I will be doing raid. but i highly doubt i will need more then 6 sata ports. i want a motherboard that will be best for overclocking my 2.4 to 3.6. or higher. price is an issue for me, plus i do give a damn :D. thanks for the suggestions. im looking them over so far i think i like the
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
and the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
plus how much juice does vista ultimate really take up. i picked up a copy for 50$.

I will be doing raid. but i highly doubt i will need more then 6 sata ports. i want a motherboard that will be best for overclocking my 2.4 to 3.6. or higher. price is an issue for me, plus i do give a damn :D. thanks for the suggestions. im looking them over so far i think i like the
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
and the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
plus how much juice does vista ultimate really take up. i picked up a copy for 50$.

Good mobo choices. Though I should update the links a bit:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Intel P45 Motherboard - $125

Vista Ultimate doesn't draw power. It's just an OS. I mean it does have some power management features but power wise you won't notice the difference between Home Premium, Business. etc.

And I do not recommend getting the AC7 Pro. It's simply not good enough for the Q6600.
I think you meant to say "Not good enough for extreme overclocking..." because it's hands down better than the Intel oem hsf, and it works fine for moderate o/c's.

I think you meant to say "Not good enough for extreme overclocking..." because it's hands down better than the Intel oem hsf, and it works fine for moderate o/c's.

No I meant just overclocking. But it is better than the Intel OEM HSF like you said.

Not sure when you are planning to pull the trigger on this build but the GeForce GTX 280+ launches this month. Its a GPU shrink to 55nm and expected to have a bit more performance.

another vote for the 520HX the 550VX and 750TX are good to but are not modular and in the same price range

Back