What Kind Of Fireworks Are Legal In Your State

HardOCP News

[H] News
Before celebrating the 4th of July, make sure you check the Directory of State Laws to make sure you aren't committing a fireworks felony while you are trying to blow your fingers off (please, try not to do either).

This is misleading, some of those blue ones that say they only ban some only allow sparklers AND black snakes, and maybe firecrackers.

I live in NY..so garbage. Only things legal up here are sparklers or fountains which are no better than sparklers. Nothing worth a damn.

With the size of artillery shells that we have this year, you will hear them 5 miles away Steve. Enjoy :D

I'm kinda surprised how restricted fireworks are in the USA. I always thought you guys could get pretty much anything down there. If you can just walk into a gun store and walk out with a handgun (or in some cases an assault riles) I just assumed you guys could just buy M80s and the like at your local corner store. We can buy roman candles, wheels, fountains and the like up here in Canada (although rules vary as to where and when you can set them off).

I live in NY..so garbage. Only things legal up here are sparklers or fountains which are no better than sparklers. Nothing worth a damn.

Beats having kids in the middle of streets of major thoroughfares setting crap off with their idiot parents watching.

Also beats having idiot neighbors set your property on fire with their fire hazards they set off.

Anything that flys in the air is illegal in our city. South of here anything that is a firework is illegal total ban on fireworks even if you bought them at Walmart.

My Childhood was based on buying fireworks at the local grocery store some of my favorites were four Seasons and this Rose one.

Beats having kids in the middle of streets of major thoroughfares setting crap off with their idiot parents watching.

Also beats having idiot neighbors set your property on fire with their fire hazards they set off.

Yes because we need laws to govern every behavior right?

The majority of NY is rural. Pretty sure y our comment is derived from the notion that somehow NYC = all of NY. My neighbors are cows.

Yes because we need laws to govern every behavior right?

The majority of NY is rural. Pretty sure y our comment is derived from the notion that somehow NYC = all of NY. My neighbors are cows.

I live on the city limit in Nebraska, a few blocks away is farmstead land.

A few years ago we were in an epic drought. Rivers were so dry you could drive cars down them. 4th of July comes along and idiots both in town and out were loving these "chinese lanterns" that were a poor man's hot air balloon with a torch inside. Did I mention were were in a continual fire warning and drought? And idiots everywhere were lighting these damn things and setting people's property on fire blocks or miles away.

After that fustercluck, the city banned the damn things because they are such awful ideas.

It is bad enough when your neighbors are too damned stupid to live....combine with the ability to destroy people's property a long ways away, well.

Technically the same thing down here in Florida. Only legal fireworks you can shoot are sparklers and fountains, nothing with projectiles. Yet I can drive to a legit fireworks store and pick up some crazy mortars and shit. It's illegal to shoot them but not to sell them and they don't enforce it.

I'm in Northern California and in the SF Bay Area fireworks are basically illegal aside from stuff like sparklers. We are in year 5 or so of an epic drought so I guess I can see the logic of that on some level. Funny thing though is if you drive a few hours north, to the heart of where the huge forest fires happen, you can buy almost any firework you want.

Many years ago, I used to drive around with 2 buddies in the back of a pickup truck shooting mortars randomly at red lights. They would light it up, scream FIRE IN THE HOLE and watch it shoot up in the sky. Those were fun days.

Not sure if it was a illegal 7-8 years ago. But it sure is now and it sucks.

I live in Texas, so we don't care what the laws are. We are going to blow shit up that you can't even BUY at a store. Pfffft.

I found this video a few days ago just think it's funny someone would call TNT fireworks Gay I must say though that the fireworks at Walmart have some of the best looking CG labels. But I haven't been in a fireworks store in about 10 years.

The fireworks laws here in North Carolina kind of suck also. No projectiles or explodey (lol, Ricky @ TPB reference) types. At one of our houses we're only 40 miles from some good stuff in South Carolina and at our other house we are less than 40 miles to some good stuff in Tennessee. It has rained lots lately so I will probably set off a few dozen mortars. I was thinking of using some WalMart gift cards and buying a Phantom 3 Standard and filming it.

The map shows federal and state laws. Now add on county and city laws. Things turn much more restrictive. Doesn't stop my neighbors though. I've been hearing bottle rockets, firecrackers and such for days and will for probably another few more days after tonight.

I never understood how Celebrating OUR FREEDOM has become illegal by shooting off Fireworks..........strange

What IS it with the NorthEast and banning shit. Oh. The NE is one big ass Donkey Farm. I see.

I never understood how Celebrating OUR FREEDOM has become illegal by shooting off Fireworks..........strange

Because of people too stupid to live killing bystanders and destroying other people's property. Your right to transmute your hard-earned paycheck into chinese gunpowder residual gases stops when you set my property on fire.

Just yesterday at the primary T-intersection into my neighborhood, family on the corner lot was in their driveway...Junior was running out into the middle of a busy street to set off explosives. Parents and extended family didn't say anything or raise a finger to stop the dumb kid.

Kentucky. We can have everything except loose 1.4 stuff. Pre-packaged 1.4 like some low shot-count 500g cakes are ok. I got a three shot 1.4 500g cake for the finale. Also have a whole stash of 5" 60g mortars for this evening :)

A lot of it is "banned" but then sold a few miles away at the Indian Reservations. So anything short of the commercial 4"+ diameter mortars. Bottle rockers, regular mortars, cakes, fountains etc all good to go. Back in the old days before they cracked down… the Indians would even sell behind the counter seal bombs and similar salutes (just shy of an m80, but packed a nice punch).

My city at least still allows them to be shot too which is nice...

A lot of it is "banned" but then sold a few miles away at the Indian Reservations. So anything short of the commercial 4" morters. Bottle rockers, regular morters, cakes, fountains etc all good to go. Back in the old days before they cracked down… the Indians would even sell behind the counter seal bombs and similar salutes (just shy of an m80, but packed a nice punch).

My city at least still allows them to be shot too which is nice...

4" is commercial(display)? Damn, we have unfettered access to 60g 5" mortars, and 500g cakes with no minimum shot count.

Kentucky. We can have everything except loose 1.4 stuff. Pre-packaged 1.4 like some low shot-count 500g cakes are ok. I got a three shot 1.4 500g cake for the finale. Also have a whole stash of 5" 60g mortars for this evening :)

Had to Google that, 5" TALL mortars, lol we get those, not the same thing I as thinking. The large diameter ones used in shows are crazy to handle. They obviously don't sell those at stands, but I've had friends with all the right licenses who do the shows, been next to them when they did the shows, they're LOUD.

Had to Google that, 5" TALL mortars, lol we get those, not the same thing I as thinking. The large diameter ones used in shows are crazy to handle. They obviously don't sell those at stands, but I've had friends with all the right licenses who do the shows, been next to them when they did the shows, they're LOUD.

Yeah lol. The diameter of these is around 3"

That's the sort of stuff I'd expect Americans to be firing off. Full red white and blue.

That's the sort of stuff I'd expect Americans to be firing off. Full red white and blue.

Exactly. Im trying to figure out how I can rig one of these mortars into a two stage model rocket. Get some serious lift on it. The higher the lift, the better sounding the report imo

Im in Ohio and lived all over Cincinnati city and out in the sticks. On the weekend of the fourth no cops ever got us for fireworks so USA it up. I was busted more for skateboarding lolz!

I'm kinda surprised how restricted fireworks are in the USA. I always thought you guys could get pretty much anything down there. If you can just walk into a gun store and walk out with a handgun (or in some cases an assault riles) I just assumed you guys could just buy M80s and the like at your local corner store. We can buy roman candles, wheels, fountains and the like up here in Canada (although rules vary as to where and when you can set them off).
That's because snow doesn't burn. Commiefornia is a tinder box.

Im in Ohio and lived all over Cincinnati city and out in the sticks. On the weekend of the fourth no cops ever got us for fireworks so USA it up. I was busted more for skateboarding lolz!

The city I live in has an ordinance against arials, but the county has no restrictions except for loose 1.4 stuff. A cop lives up the street from me so I approached him about the new ordinance (started year before last, didn't shoot any last year). He said they were going to leave everyone alone so long as they didn't receive noise complaints after midnight, and obviously no complaints about criminal behaviour(shooting at people's houses, etc...). I would imagine itsr that way in most places, at least in the south.

Last edited:
The only thing I really hate about fireworks is how traumatizing it can be to pets such as dogs. Also, its really frigging annoying to try to get to sleep if you have a yippy dog on the 4th.

On a side note, they are illegal in my state yet shops near the state line in neighboring states can run ads in my state with impunity. I really think the only thing it is preventing is some possible tax revenue in my state, cause I can drive 30 minutes to get them and no-one enforces it unless they get noise complaints.

I live on the city limit in Nebraska, a few blocks away is farmstead land.

A few years ago we were in an epic drought. Rivers were so dry you could drive cars down them. 4th of July comes along and idiots both in town and out were loving these "chinese lanterns" that were a poor man's hot air balloon with a torch inside. Did I mention were were in a continual fire warning and drought? And idiots everywhere were lighting these damn things and setting people's property on fire blocks or miles away.

After that fustercluck, the city banned the damn things because they are such awful ideas.

It is bad enough when your neighbors are too damned stupid to live....combine with the ability to destroy people's property a long ways away, well.

Doesn't justify stupid laws. There are plenty of laws in place to deal with destruction of someone's property if someone is stupid and misuses fireworks. Sorry but i'm not a fan of nanny state bullshit.

Doesn't justify stupid laws. There are plenty of laws in place to deal with destruction of someone's property if someone is stupid and misuses fireworks. Sorry but i'm not a fan of nanny state bullshit.

So a "Chinese lantern" lands on your roof or backyard and your house goes up in smoke. How do you find who was the idiot who set it off and hold them accountable?

Oh that is right. You don't. You're the definition of SOL.

Happy fourth or july. In florida you can only buy some out of state and bring it in at your own risk but there are always good firerworks down here.

So a "Chinese lantern" lands on your roof or backyard and your house goes up in smoke. How do you find who was the idiot who set it off and hold them accountable?

Oh that is right. You don't. You're the definition of SOL.

That is exactly what I have home owners insurance for. I don't need laws protecting me from the huge list of dumb shit people could maybe possibly do. Your argument is on par with banning turkey fryers because some people are retarded and set their house on fire or banning cars because some moron might drive through yours. Both things which happen, yet we don't need silly nanny laws stopping it. Paranoia isn't a valid reason to pass a law.

Since when did the legality make a difference? Just about everything is illegal in NJ, but who gives a rats ass..almost anyone can get some pretty cool stuff and blow it up anyway.

I got to see a man lose his hand in front of me when I was 8 years old. That was a fun experience. NYC here.

This is misleading, some of those blue ones that say they only ban some only allow sparklers AND black snakes, and maybe firecrackers.
lol, yeah that map is a joke. Some or all types? In CA you can't get anything that goes airborne, fountains that last more than 3 seconds, anything that explodes(so nothing more than those little pop-its), or decent sparklers because someone decided that idiots might put their eye out. If anything CA should be listed as one of the yellow states since about all you'll get at a firework stand(if you can even find one) are snakes, crappy ground flowers, and dinky fountains.

Of course that doesn't stop people from going to NV, getting bootleg stuff from china(some of which is really dangerous), or all of the firecrackers you could ever want so long as you're celebrating a chinese holiday(because they get an exception for some reason?).

lol, yeah that map is a joke. Some or all types? In CA you can't get anything that goes airborne, fountains that last more than 3 seconds, anything that explodes(so nothing more than those little pop-its), or decent sparklers because someone decided that idiots might put their eye out. If anything CA should be listed as one of the yellow states since about all you'll get at a firework stand(if you can even find one) are snakes, crappy ground flowers, and dinky fountains.

Of course that doesn't stop people from going to NV, getting bootleg stuff from china(some of which is really dangerous), or all of the firecrackers you could ever want so long as you're celebrating a chinese holiday(because they get an exception for some reason?).

I mean, being fair some idiot will probably put their eye out. I however am perfectly ok with that as I believe in natural selection.

Back