What kind of computer did you have when you were a lil'kid?

XSNiper

[H]ard|Gawd
Well? I had an old gateway 733MHz hand-me down. But i'm only 16 so..lol

An Apple notebook. It weighed probably 8 pounds, only black and white display, 2 MB RAM, 33 Mhz proc or so. My cousin's computer in college, and it became assimilated into my junk. I was probably 9 at the time.

Fast forward 12 years, and I have a Pentium 133 (and other stuff).

When I was a little kid there was no such thing as a computer that was ownable, other than by the military and very expensive colleges .

Now you kids ( hikes pants up to armpits ) get the hell off my lawn! LOL

HTPC Rookie said:
When I was a little kid there was no such thing as a computer that was ownable, other than by the military and very expensive colleges .

Don't blame us that you're so old. :p

Someday, computers will be so powerful that only the three richest kings of Europe can afford them.

Thank god for miniaturization.

I grew up on a Tandy1000, and it was my only computer for way too long. 8Mhz, 640k RAM. I never did figure out the HDD size, but I think it was 40megs.

I was still using it until I convinced my mom to get us something new, and at that time it was a K6-2 333 system, if I remember right.

Mac LC :) then a LC2 then a few other powermacs... then a 133mhz HP was my first Intel "Clone" LOL

My family had many computers, but the first one I could call my own was a 286 with a 20mb HD and a 10" orange mono display. It was decent for the time and even ran windows 3.0!

dariob said:
My family had many computers, but the first one I could call my own was a 286 with a 20mb HD and a 10" orange mono display. It was decent for the time and even ran windows 3.0!

Did it have the legendary Turbo button?

One of the computers at my old high school sounds like the computer you're talking about. It booted to a command line and we had no idea what to type in to make it do stuff.

BillLeeLee said:
Did it have the legendary Turbo button?

One of the computers at my old high school sounds like the computer you're talking about. It booted to a command line and we had no idea what to type in to make it do stuff.

It definately had a turbo button, although I would call it anything but "turbo".

Yes and it did boot to a command line. You don't know DOS? Shame on you!

first computer i remember my family having was a PII 233mhz with 32mb of sd ram and a 3gb hard drive. i think it was a gateway, my list went something like this

pII 233mhz
K6-2 500mhz
celeron 533mhz
athlon 1.33ghz
p4 2.0a on abit it-7 max2
same cpu in a shuttle xpc (sb51g)
3400+ amd-64

dariob said:
Yes and it did boot to a command line. You don't know DOS? Shame on you!

That was DOS? I was 14 at the time, and I knew enough DOS. My friend was at the keyboard though, so he had no idea what was going on. Before I got a chance to go for it, we flipped it off.

But that was 6 years ago, I would say I'm much better with DOS and other command line systems these days. :D

HTPC Rookie said:

Good one! :)

I learned my mad keyboarding skills on a manual typewriter. ;)

I had this SUPER shitty hand me down...i dont even know what. I think maybe a Tandy? Well anyways, 8 times out of 10, or for the algebreaclly inclined, 4/5 times i would hit the power button, the BIOS gave me errors and wouldnt boot. I dont remember how but somehow i discovered that if you go into the bios and just change ANYTHING that would be quickest, just make like 10 changes and save and exit, it booted up fine. It was wierd. I miss that thing.

All I remember about the one I had at home was that it was a 386. It ran Commander Keen like a dream, with sounds and everything! We never got around to installing Windows on it, though. Thank goodness for that. Would never have gotten any command line experience otherwise.

I had this IBM PS/2 or something like that. It ran Windows 3.1 and had like 4MB of RAM or something. I had this chess game on it that kicked ass. Colors were only 256 though. So the pictures sucked. Didn't have a modem either. Oh I think the Processor was like 33Mhz or soemthing really slow.

Second computer was a compaq 534Mhz K6-2

I don't remember exactly which model, but it was an old Apple computer. One of the PowerPC comps, the ones that had remote controls. Those were so awesome. I still have the remote control for that computer. :p

First intel based was 386 dx 33mghz something like 20 if you disabled the turbo button. 0 meg harddrive, 32 megs of ram( a hell of a lot in those days)

defakto said:
First intel based was 386 dx 33mghz something like 20 if you disabled the turbo button. 0 meg harddrive, 32 megs of ram( a hell of a lot in those days)

32 MB of RAM probably cost $500 in those days too.

defakto said:

32megs of ram and no HD? I find that hard to believe! Or was "0 meg" a typo?

Packard Bell
Intel Pentium 166MHz MMX
24 EDO Memory
16x CD-Rom
33.6 Winmodem

:D

Well I was like 11 or 12 when we got our first brand new Packard Bell with the all new Intel pentium 75Mhz CPU. 16MB SIMM Ram, 1GB Hard Drive, Windows 95 Just came out like a month prior. 14.4 Modem and AOL 2.0

It probably was the best thing ever for a while. :)

My dad custom built a 486DX and I played Test Drive 3 and San Francisco on it. DOS 3.0 was it? The funny thing about that San Francisco game was that the game ran faster without turbo than with it. It ran even faster on my grandpa's 386 :/

I upgraded my 24 EDO Ram to 80MB, No one told me Simm needed to be in Pairs... :(

What is a turbo button? A built in overclock button!!!

A misnomer. When turbo was "on", the system ran at full speed. When it was "off", wait states were used to slow the system down to a slower speed. For example, my 20MHz system would drop to a little over 8MHz.

This was done for compatibility with some really old games, but it still didn't slow the system down enough in most cases.

I had an 8088 (maybe 1 or 2 MHz) that was made by Epson - yes apparently they made PC's before they decided that printers were so much easier to make. It only had a 5.25" floppy, and I really don't think it had a hard drive.

Then a few years later we upgraded to a 386 and damn was it fast!

And at some point I also had a VIC-20.

Atari 800XL with a 1.773447 MHz CPU and 64 KBytes of RAM. Feel the power.

What year did the etch-a-sketch come out? Computer when I was a kid? Ahh, it would have to be the Eniac <sp> as I was born in 1947 :eek: :D

I first had a VIC 20. with the cartridges and the addon cassette tape player thingy.

I then Graduated to an Apple IIGS.

Neither system had any sort of Hard drive. It was either cartridge load, or diskette.

Komataguri said:
I ran a 33Mhz 486 with 4Meg of EDO ram and Windows 3.1

You young whipper snappers

That was the first computer I ever *bought*
First computer I actually consider a computer is the following setup I got several years later:

P2-based Celeron 266Mhz
96MB PC100 SDRAM
10GB 5,400RPM HDD
S3 Trident3D 4MB
Windows 98
17" CRT
Gorgeous 56K modem in the days of dial-up!

Heheh.. great thread.

I remember in 7th grade our family finally decided to jump on the personal computer bandwagon. We spent $6k for a top of the line Micron. You think new tech = premium now....

66 Mhz pentium
2 3.5" floppy & 16x? cdrom [edit] Ahh i remember now it was 8x... bad ass)
16Mb Ram
512MB SCSI
1mb video card
14.4kbs
Windows 3.11a
laser printer

Played Doom like a sonofabitch.

ScHpAnKy said:
That was the first computer I ever *bought*
First computer I actually consider a computer is the following setup I got several years later:

P2-based Celeron 266Mhz
96MB PC100 SDRAM
10GB 5,400RPM HDD
S3 Trident3D 4MB
Windows 98
17" CRT
Gorgeous 56K modem in the days of dial-up!

The good old days of 56k modem and AOL....... I love those three little boxes lighting up then hearing the modem signals, you got mail... Downloading Mp3's at 3 kbps.. :D :D

Wait this got me thinking does anyone here still use dial-up? :confused:

The first PC that came into my household was a trusty IBM 286.

It could just about do Wolfenstein in a tiny window but that was all. I used it mainly to make crazy animations in whatever paint package it had. It also had this cool program that would generate those 'magic eye' stereogram images with circles in them. Really neat program which I've never found since.

But despite how young I was and how little I knew about PC's at the time, I can safely and unequivocally say that I never, EVER, said anything like;

"OMG, WTF?! NEW PC - LOL!!!111!"

:D

Quantex 233Mhz IIRC. I had one before that, but my dad had just "borrowed" it from his work. The Quantex was my first real one, even had an inkjet printer!

Back