What kind of chair do you use for your gaming pc?

I've definitely noticed I can sit for longer periods of time if I am more active. I've been trying to lightly play some basketball, walk, and just staying active with the kids. I haven't tried a balance ball though, do you literally sit on those at a desk or just for stretching?

You literally sit on them, and they are great for posture and strengthening your core.

I've definitely noticed I can sit for longer periods of time if I am more active. I've been trying to lightly play some basketball, walk, and just staying active with the kids. I haven't tried a balance ball though, do you literally sit on those at a desk or just for stretching?

You sit on them anywhere, it helps you build those core muscles because you have to use them to balance your body. It improves your posture, core strength, and balance. It can be difficult at first because its different, but eventually you get used to it and some people even prefer it over traditional chairs.

I wish my PT would have brought this up, maybe I could have already been farther along than I am now with recovery. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try one out. Any certain one people recommend over others?

I wish my PT would have brought this up, maybe I could have already been farther along than I am now with recovery. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll try one out. Any certain one people recommend over others?

My PT said brand didn't matter as much as long as it was sturdy and the right size for your frame. The one i linked before I think is the one she used at the PT office.

I think I'm going to check out Office Max see if they have something better then my FUEGO or called TUL mesh chair..... I bought two of them last year about this time..

Nice chair till the Mesh wears out then you can use a hair dryer to tighten up the mesh after a while on hot.

I got two of those on ebay for less than one new. They liquidate them from office building auctions and stuff. The two I received were damn near new. Hell of deal nonetheless.

That's how I got mine. A company I worked for went out of business. That part sucked, but the chair is nice! :D

I have an ergohuman one in leather that was mentioned earlier. I had the seat replaced under warranty but also ended up replacing the piston and the arms on my own dime eventually. The chair is now nearly 8 yrs old and was purchased for $517 and I put about $150 into it during that time. Removing the seat from the piston and the piston from the base was very difficult -- not at all like the videos. It's basically like new now though so was cheaper than getting a replacement chair.

I also own a swopper:
http://www.swopper.com/.

I think the swopper helps my back but the ergohuman one is more comfortable for longer durations. The swopper is more fun -- you can feel like Tigger!

I also own a swopper:
http://www.swopper.com/.

I think the swopper helps my back but the ergohuman one is more comfortable for longer durations. The swopper is more fun -- you can feel like Tigger!

I'm actually not sure how different that is from a (far cheaper) inflatable ball, in terms of the idea and use behind it.

I mean, it looks cool, but it's also $900...

Herman Miller Aeron chair, for the past 11 years. No regrets with how much I paid, as I'd other wise have spent at least 50% more on cheaper chairs in that same time frame.

Not clear if I should bump this thread? Got a new DX Racer OH/FE08/NR from the local dealer. They shipping in from official DXracer sources.

Pros:

First up, chair is very very comfortable. I installed the headrest, but left out the lumbar support. The top of my head is same height as the top of the chair. Without the headrest, there is an empty space behind my neck. The headrest fit nicely there.

Cons...QC is a bit suspect.

1) One armrest shakes a lot more than the other. Looks like issues with spacing tolerances
2) The paint on the metal part at the bottom of the arm rest is flaking a little out of the box, exposing the metal underneath.
3) The two side covers are meant to cover up the ugly screws and metal parts which join the bottom seat to top seat. However, the plastic on the cover is too hard. When plugging in the cover, the notches on the plastic (which holds cover in place) of the bottom seat bends and may break. The cover should have been made of softer plastic.
4) Minor issue...the top seat is slanted to the left. Have tried to reinstall the top seat a few times, it still ends up the same way.

Conclusion:

Will I buy this if given a choice again?

It's plenty comfy. I rarely game and only purchased this to replace a 15 year old chair that's falling apart.

Considering the local authorized dealer has applied a huge markup (+delivery fee) over the US' price of $349.00, I probably wouldn't purchase this if given a choice again at the same marked-up price of USD$500.00.

If you are able to get this at US$349 nett and do not mind minor QC issues, I highly recommend this.

I've got a cheap (<$150) chair from Office Max. It's comfortable most of the time. The simulated leather started peeling apart fairly quickly, and that bothers my arms after a while. Other than that, the chair has been good.

However, I started racing again recently, and when I race, I have to lower my seat a bit from an ergonomic working position. That kills my back. I've been thinking about one of those "racing" chairs like the DXRacer, but they look pretty silly. I've also thought about just buying a used racing seat and mounting it on a office chair base. My Recaro Profi SPG XL was super comfortable. However, that's an expensive solution that may have me seated at the wrong angle.

The problem I find with most office chairs is that the bottoms are too deep. I'm tall, and my back is rarely against the seat back. A lot of those mesh chairs are great in that they are super adjustable, but I don't find them particularly comfortable. They feel flimsy to me too, I think that's because of the mesh and the open-ness of them.

I'm also not a big fan of the armrests on most chairs. I got bursitis in both of my elbows from constantly resting my arms on my armrests. It's finally gone, but I rarely use my armrests anymore. I like having them, but on most chairs, I wish I could drop them down so low that my arms won't naturally rest on them.

They two minute test in the office supply store always results in a horrible chair. You have to sit in them for a while to see how they really will feel.

Last month I upgraded to this

Page one in here had a bucket seat style that was similar to the one I upgraded from. It worked well but was not great. Especially after 6 to 7 years of use. I realized I was sitting on screw's and the base frame so it was not comfortable.

I looked at the base DX racers for a while but being 6'1" and about 155 pounds I wanted something taller. My old one's head rest was barely at my neck.

Love this chair, very comfortable but I did have to modify how I sit a bit since this char fits me better. The lumbar pillow is mostly useless, its way to thick but the head pillow is wonderful.

The seat is a little longer than I would like but nothing bad. Took about 2 hours of sitting to get it tweaked just right for me and I have noticed much less ass pain and my back is much happier. I tend to sit all the way back and try not to slouch and this chair has helped.

Definitely need to find a chair that fits you, but I'm glad I went for this over the smaller models.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Perhaps not quite what the question is about.. but I'm sitting in one of these :)

lan_ax5.jpg

Perhaps not quite what the question is about.. but I'm sitting in one of these :)

lan_ax5.jpg

I'd love to have a pit, but since my gaming desk is in our family room, that's not going to happen. ;) Besides, it would have to have 6DoF motion.

That pic is actually from one of our annual "All-round Racing Championship" LAN's. Normally the rig is in a corner of the living room. However, since the screens are easily to fold in, when not in use I fold it and push it to the side where it doesn't intrude that much.
(and that only works if you have an understanding partner, even more so if your next birthday is 40..)

I might go for some more feedback (i.e. Buttkickers or equivalent) but full motion rig will not happen. Way, way too expensive... Need that money for the real race car.

I picked up a Dxracer King series fabric version last year and am very pleased with it. Super comfy and solidly built, it should last me a while.

Last edited:
I highly recommend the STEELCASE LEAP, one of the best gaming investments I made.

I understand the Steelcase Leap may be extremely comfortable for some people, but for me it was one of the most uncomfortable chairs I've ever sat in. For all I know, I could be the odd one, but just be aware that testimonials do not substitute for testing the chair yourself by sitting in it for at least half an hour. That first minute or two does not count!

I have been sitting in an IKEA Markus chair for about a year now, usually 4-8 hours at a time playing games. I got this after my wife stole my chair, and gave me her 5 year old $99 office supply store fake leather chair, that looks really similar to that Thomasville thing. Those things are not made particularly well, and the cushioning gave out, "leather" cracked and peeling, etc.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20178865/

I'll second the advice to sit for a half hour or so before you buy.

I used to have an Aeron at a previous job, and for me this Markus is just about as comfortable. The cushion felt a little stiff at first, but that's generally a good thing. None of the really nice chairs will feel all soft and poofy when you sit in them. Any that do won't last more than a year or two.

My next chair will be an actual car seat mounted into a sim cockpit. Probably the seat out of my 18 year old Trooper once it gives up and dies. If it doesn't hurry up, I'll probably hit a local junkyard. Pretty much every car seat there is like $65. Seems reasonable to me.

My next chair will be an actual car seat mounted into a sim cockpit. Probably the seat out of my 18 year old Trooper once it gives up and dies. If it doesn't hurry up, I'll probably hit a local junkyard. Pretty much every car seat there is like $65. Seems reasonable to me.

The idea of buying a seat out of a junkyard skeeves me out. I've been fixing my own cars for ages, and seen lots of seats in junkyards. I wouldn't sit in any of them.

Be careful of just buying a seat from a car and thinking that it will be great. I bought a Camaro last year. I drove it home in a 15 hour drive and was comfortable the entire way. A month later, I rented a 2014 Mustang and drove it for 4 hours. My ass was sore from that seat after an hour. I recently rented a Mazda 3 and the seat hurt my lower back. A Ford Focus seat is completely comfortable to me.

My last car was a Porsche Boxster. That seat hurt my back so badly that I had to get physical therapy. That's why I replaced it with the Recaro seat.

So what I'm saying is, buy a seat out of a car you've sat in for a decent amount of time.

OfficeMax Task Chair Faux Brenton I figure the less I recline the better shape my back will be in.
I had a Fullback Exec. Joke Chair got way too comfortable for my spine it started to take the shape of the chair.

af5c343fe6955075fd1a236519b39933.jpg

Have a lazboy office chair that's at least 15 years old and looking a little beat up these days. It's super comfortable though so wouldn't mind getting it reupholstered. Either that or going to make one out of a car seat

9N9urRu.png

Would love to have this one

lan_ax5.jpg

:eek: Ok, this did look like a sweet setup, until I noticed the pedals are just a few inches from where my knees would be. How do you fit in this thing, and where do your legs go??

Think I need a pic of it actually in use.

I have a Herman Miller Aeron and highly recommend it. I got it around 4 years ago and there are no signs of wear, I got mine for free when my old company ordered around 100 of them for the office and my boss wanted one so asked if I would like one as well, ofcourse I took it, didn't want to disappoint him. Though now with my experience with the chair I wouldn't hesitate to buy a replacement.

Also if something eventually breaks on it you can order the parts separately to repair it. There are also a lot of custom add-ons for the chair around the internet.

Just noting that since I last posted, I've not yet purchased a chair - I had some five-figure expenses arise that put my upgrade on hold. However, I do know which chair I'm going to buy: www.lifeformchairs.com - Thank you to the user that recommended them to me. In terms of features, quality, and healthfulness they get top marks and even other premium ergonomic seating doesn't seem to come close. I'll be getting one that is maxed out.

Unfortunately, it is hard to locate a dealer in the US, as they have very limited distribution/resellers. Relax The Back is the only chain store that places custom orders for their products. Please note that sites like Relax The Back don't have ALL the configuration options listed on their website that are actually available on the chairs, so call if you have something you want. If you're living in an area that does not have a Relax The Back (as I do), and are seriously interested in a purchase, send me a PM - I found a vendor who is willing to ship to those of us with nowhere in state to buy, but it is a special consideration and I've been asked not to list in public. Thanks!

Just picked up a Brenton ariel chair at Office Max best chair I ever owned. Not too deep and it looks like it will last longer then my last one...... I get a new chair every year it seems cause a lot of them warp or go flat. I use Neat Seat company covers on this chair and it's great.....

I tired highback chairs in the past and they just bend your spine don't provide attentive dwelling for long period of time on your ass.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/493642/Brenton-Studio-Ariel-Low-Back-Task/

Go figure it goes on Sale after I buy it......

I've got a DXRacer Max. I like it, but there are a couple things I wish were a bit different.....

The Max has very firm foam. When sitting in it for long periods (all day), it gets a bit uncomfortable. Otherwise it's fine.

It doesn't tilt back (the bottom of the seat) as much as most chairs. That's a bit annoying, as sometimes I want to lean back a bit more.

Because of the way it tilts, the base sits much further back on the chair. As a result, the wheels kept moving off the chair mat I have. I had to move it. Not a big deal, but a consideration.

Had a seat from the passenger compartment of my ex's family's G450 (they'd renovated the interior and let me have one). Was a bit low to the ground, but super comfy, best "gaming" chair I've ever used. Unfortunately, had to get rid of it when I moved as couldn't ship it.

I have a DX Racer King. It's a great chair, mostly. I think it's very comfortable, and a huge step up from the $100 Staples chair I was using.

I'll be the first to say though, it looks stupid. Even more-so since I wanted a fabric chair (cats w/ claws + PU would be ruined in a week). For the King, that means red or blue, both of which look stupid. I would have much rather had all black, or white/gray, but that's only in fabric on the formula. I'm not heavy, but at 6'2, I was worried that height would have been an issue on the formula.

I use the DXRacer racing series chair. I'm rarely in it over 2 hours but is always very comfortable. The few 5+ hour sessions I have had I still don't get sore sitting in it. Im 6"1, 200 pounds an loosing. It worked great back when i was 230 though.

I really like that I can tilt the back far forward for when im using my steering wheel and lean it back when using kb+m. I have noticed that the fake leather on the seat is stretching out over the 8 moths i've had it, but does not look like it will rip anytime soon.

The chair does force good posture, so if you like to slouch or put your feet up in the char it hardly lets you.

Back