What kind of chair do you use for your gaming pc?

I have a Haworth Zody Task.

http://www.haworth.com/home/seating/task/zody-task

I also use this chair for work since I work from home so it makes sense. It's an expensive chair, but I've had a lot of back and shoulder issues from sitting so long, so I needed to get something long lasting and ergonomic.

Did you compare this chair to other high end ergonomic chairs like the Herman Miller chairs or similar offerings? I'm curious what made you choose this particular chair. I'm also in the market for a new chair.

Did you compare this chair to other high end ergonomic chairs like the Herman Miller chairs or similar offerings? I'm curious what made you choose this particular chair. I'm also in the market for a new chair.

If you are in the market for a high-end ergonomic chair I highly recommend an Ergonesis chair. I have this one and I feel it is worth every penny considering my back and neck issues.

Yes, I've sat in Aerons before for a couple of years, and once for a week more recently. This is the review I shared on Reddit for people who were interested in the chair:
So just a little background as to my chair history since it is applicable: I have had the Zody for about a month now. Previously I was sitting on a $100 Staples special, and before that when I worked in corporate buildings I sat for 3 years on a Herman Miller Aeron chair (not sure why I put 1-2 years in the original post - I worked at a corporate building from 2007 to 2010 where everything was Herman Miller). Since buying the Zody I also recently spent a week in another office working remote where I sat on a Herman Miller so I can compare.

I really am enjoying this chair quite a bit. It is very comfortable and supportive in all the right places. I bought the chair "fully loaded" so I have the lumbar support, 4D arms, adjustable seat, etc. Everything is very easy to adjust, although I did think that the seat adjustment to slide it forward or backwards was a little non-obvious - you have to pull it out, rather than pull the lever up, which isn't documented. However everything else is intuitive.

The arms are nicer than the Aeron chair in that they allow for much more adjustment. I especially like being able to angle them inwards for when I am typing for a long time - it fits the angle of my arms much better than when they are facing straight out away from the chair. I noticed a few reviews complain that the arms don't lock into place better and that's true - if you bump them hard they will move in/out and you will have to reposition them. However I don't find this to be a regular occurrence and it doesn't happen while I am actually working, so I think that problem is overstated.

The seat itself is quite comfortable. I routinely sit in the chair for 8-10 hours a day if not more and I have not had any back fatigue or felt any discomfort while sitting.

Ultimately, if you have any experience with high end office chairs, I feel like the Zody will be pretty familiar to you. Versus the Aeron, I feel that the Zody has superior arm rests and lumbar/pelvic support. The build quality and fit/finish are top notch and it's easy to assemble. If you are looking for a high end chair (and I highly recommend you do this if you sit as much as I do) I would give the Haworth products a close look.

All of these ergo chairs are totally wrong for you. The best chair is a wooden chair. As much as you like to think, our body was not meant to be sitting for hours looking at a screen. Limiting the use of all the muscles that hold your body upright is what is causing all these back/neck issues. Ie: swivel chairs, curved lumbar. Your core is suppose to hold you up not the chair!

Most of you are young but once you get older it will catch up with you. Staying active, taking frequent breaks is the only way to fight off the effects of sitting so much in our day to day office jobs or even long gaming sessions.

All of these ergo chairs are totally wrong for you. The best chair is a wooden chair. As much as you like to think, our body was not meant to be sitting for hours looking at a screen. Limiting the use of all the muscles that hold your body upright is what is causing all these back/neck issues. Ie: swivel chairs, curved lumbar. Your core is suppose to hold you up not the chair!

Most of you are young but once you get older it will catch up with you. Staying active, taking frequent breaks is the only way to fight off the effects of sitting so much in our day to day office jobs or even long gaming sessions.

That is quite the ignorant statement. Many people don't have the option to take frequent breaks or the ability to build their core to sustain longer sitting periods. If you were going to be quite literally fair, the best thing to do would be to build a desk on some time of treadmill like device so the person could stay active and moving. But we live in a world of reality, where you aren't always presented with the optimum choices or situations.

There are 2 kinds of ergonomic chair, those that are built to support certain areas and those that are built to help position certain areas. The support function is for those that already have chronic problems and are not able to sit properly. It helps alleviate some of the issues and keep the individual from doing further harm. This is important for people who have suffered serious injury, or may have some debilitating physical ailment. People in those categories can't just sit on a wooden chair and need time to build up their core again, and some of them are unable to build up their core and may need the support for the long term.

The position function is to help the user sit in the correct position to make sure their body is using its core rather than hunching or slouching. A wooden chair is absolutely horrible for this unless you are using perfect posture all the time, which most don't. It helps you stay in an upright position and gives the ability to 'rest' from time to time when you may not be able to get up and move enough.

The chair i have can do both support and position functions. It is built to the specs of my body size and helps keep me in the right position so that I am using my core. It also has the capability of providing some support if i need it. Since I have both serious back and neck injuries, it was very helpful in helping me recover and as I continue to build my core back up, I can adjust the chair so I use my core more and the support less.

That is quite the ignorant statement. Many people don't have the option to take frequent breaks or the ability to build their core to sustain longer sitting periods.

It was meant to be an eye opener perhaps for those who are brainwashed in thinking ergo chairs will make everything good but in fact doing the opposite.

Of course if you have some pre-existing serious conditions and need to work infront of a computer then you'll need some proper support, but the goal would be to always work towards improving posture and breaking bad habits.

Change the chairs up, go for a walk after 45 minutes of sitting! Simple things.

Do you guys seriously pay ~1k for these chairs? I'd love to get a Steelcase Leap or something, but I can't really see paying $900 for a chair.

I guess you can write it off as a business expense if you work from home?

Do you guys seriously pay ~1k for these chairs? I'd love to get a Steelcase Leap or something, but I can't really see paying $900 for a chair.

I guess you can write it off as a business expense if you work from home?

Yes, since I bought my chair, my pain has decreased tremendously and my sitting endurance has improved. It has the ability to adjust a number of areas to help either support my body in some areas and to promote proper sitting positions. So for me it is worth it, especially when I have to spend a number of hours on my system working. Also the company that makes the chair makes videos and provides information on proper ergonomics and works with you to personally adjust your chair to best facilitate your needs. I had a representative who had gone through very similar injuries as I did and discussed his experience with the chair and transition from support to posture/position with the chair. He talked to me on the phone and work with me to get the chair setup properly to provide the best positioning for me. They also followed up to see how the chair was working out and do any additional adjustments. These are just some of the benefits I received, there are a number of other things as well. So I would say for me it was money well spent.

It was meant to be an eye opener perhaps for those who are brainwashed in thinking ergo chairs will make everything good but in fact doing the opposite.

Of course if you have some pre-existing serious conditions and need to work infront of a computer then you'll need some proper support, but the goal would be to always work towards improving posture and breaking bad habits.

Change the chairs up, go for a walk after 45 minutes of sitting! Simple things.

But it was a completely ignorant statement. The real eye-opener is that you would make such a statement. Using an ergonomic chair is no worse than using a wood chair, and in almost all cases better for you. You can cause even more damage to yourself slouching or using poor posture in a wood chair than an ergonomic chair. And as I said, there are many ergonomic chairs designed to facilitate proper sitting positions that help improve your core, something a plain wooden chair is not really designed for.

Last edited:
I am saying each of us are responsible for our posture and habits. Stop blaming the chair, you are only suggesting chairs are the solution I am saying chairs and sitting too long are 'part of' the problem to begin with.

Get a mirror put it next to you monitor how often you slouch, keep correcting yourself. Most of those with issues are from years of bad habits. As you say it doesn't matter what chair you have it's your bad habits while sitting in them.

Having a swivel chair for example, immobilizes your hips, your hips are part of you, the more you immobilize your body the worse it is on you.

http://www.thehumansolution.com/bodybilt-3502-3507-3508-high-back-ergonomic-chair-neckroll-headrest.html I use this Bodybilt chair I picked off craigslist a few months ago. It was in great shape, like new really, and he was selling it for $400. It has been a great replacement for an old broken down piece of junk I bought new from Staples a few years ago. He had a garage full of computer chairs, but mine was the only one with a headrest. He told me they all came from Microsoft.

Exactly, that chair is designed and made by the company I linked earlier: http://www.ergogenesis.com/. How did you find that chair worked for you?

I am saying each of us are responsible for our posture and habits. Stop blaming the chair, you are only suggesting chairs are the solution I am saying chairs and sitting too long are 'part of' the problem to begin with.

Get a mirror put it next to you monitor how often you slouch, keep correcting yourself. Most of those with issues are from years of bad habits. As you say it doesn't matter what chair you have it's your bad habits while sitting in them.

Having a swivel chair for example, immobilizes your hips, your hips are part of you, the more you immobilize your body the worse it is on you.

Who is blaming chairs? You are the only one blaming chairs by saying ergonomic chairs are somehow making things worse.

And your example about a swivel chair immobolizing your hips, really? A stationary chair will immobolize your hips far more than a swivel chair. In fact a swivel chair is more likely to cause you to use your hips as you use them to swivel when you press down with your legs, bend and move the chair. Unless you are referring to when you turn to face one direction or another, something you can still do in a swivel chair. Where are you getting your information from?

Its likely around a decade old at this point, and is in need of replacement (or at least, replacement parts for some of the armrests and seat upgrades), but I am using a Humanscale Freedom. Custom design with all the functional upgrades - especially Headrest, Advanced Gel Seat, Advanced Gel Armrests etc. It cost near, or possibly over $1000, but it has been worth it. Its often featured on TV shows because it has a rather unique design (or perhaps, it did at one point. There have been copycats over the years), and is functional as well. Back when every high end desk chair was trying to be like the Aeron, with lots of dials, switches, and gadgets, the cool thing about the Freedom is the lack of all that - it is articulated to move with you, without having to "set it up" or deal with the defaults in each position.

Before using it, I tried many typical task chairs and "executive" chairs, but none were nearly as healthful for my back as the Freedom (though admittedly, nothing anywhere near the level of price or quality, either). There are probably some that are similar these days and maybe a bit less expensive too, but I urge you to take a look. Oh, and be sure that anyplace selling them off the shelf has the features you want - the basic model, even with headrest, may not have all the functional upgrades (I say functional in opposition to cosmetic only, like ultrasuede or leather etc..) you would like, and many high end ergonomic seating places will sell them for a fortune, non-custom.

I'm considering having the whole thing reupholstered in a bamboo-cotton hybrid blend, and replacing the gel seat and armrest areas with wool (which acts like memory foam, but is cooling and more supportive, as well as more healthful. Check out some of the websites on wool bedding like surroundewe.com ), but outside of that, the entire structure is fantastic even after all these years and the parts I'm looking to replace are to be expected after more than a decade of daily wear and tear, plus moving in and out of a variety of dorms, apartments, and houses.

Last edited:
Bloody hell!

Real men kneel on grits when they game. On a cold floor. In a drafty room. In the dark...

Exactly, that chair is designed and made by the company I linked earlier: http://www.ergogenesis.com/. How did you find that chair worked for you?

This Bodybilt has been a great chair. Super well made from the upholstery, to the padding, to the mechanics of the adjustable frame. It is all first rate construction and very supportive and comfortable. Such a huge upgrade in every way from the $200 chair I had before.

product_embody.jpg

Worth every penny.

Thanks to the OP for making this thread. I ordered my Ergohuman chair using the Hardocp promotion about 10 years ago and completely forgot what the chair was called until i just went to their site because of this thread. I've been meaning to replace mesh seat for sometime but with out the name i couldn't find it.

I wonder if the states have anything similar.

Anyone seen something similar to this stateside?

I have one I picked up from Office Max or Depot 6 or 7 years ago. Mine has an adjustable headrest and no openings for seat belts. Otherwise its the same chair in a different color.

It has been pretty nice, I wish the armrests did not tilt when I leaned back, fairly comfortable for my body style and was a good buy at $99 dollars.

I own an Aeron and a DXRacer. I like the Aeron and I know everyone praises it, but I think it's really a work chair not a gaming chair. Its hard ergonomic frame is not designed for comfort, it's for productivity. So I tend to use my DXRacer for gaming and the Aeron for working.

Wish I could find a photo of my chair AKA The Hemorrhoid Inducer

It currently has a broken shock and I'm sitting on two pillows and a cushion I got for Christmas :(

When it comes to chairs I wont buy one that I can't sit in and test it so these online chair sites are nice and all but for me they are a wash since I cant test how they feel. Kind of frustrating for me. Btw, those DXRacers look cool.

Anyone know of a chair that you actually sit on your knees? I had spine surgery and sitting for long periods of time kills my legs and back, but if I could put the weight on my knees I think it would help a ton.

Anyone know of a chair that you actually sit on your knees? I had spine surgery and sitting for long periods of time kills my legs and back, but if I could put the weight on my knees I think it would help a ton.

Look up kneel chair on Google.
There are a ton of chairs for this purpose.
Also look for instructions on how best to use them.

Kneeling chairs can present their own problems, my PT suggested using them in limited amounts switching between something like that, an exercise ball and laying down. It takes time to recover and also to rebuild that core. But here is an example of some things to look into:

Knee Chair (many models like this)

Balance ball (also many like this)

Ergonomic chair I used and still use since Spinal injury and surgery (linked to this earlier)

I would start out with laying down and walking, the move to the laying down / kneeling. Then progress to laying down, kneeling, balance ball. Then to kneeling and balance ball. Then just to balance ball. If you find some of that difficult because of chronic back issues or have other issues like neck issues which I had you can also look at getting a chair like the one i linked. Make sure you walk and keep mobile once you are cleared for it, that will really help out. That and doing things like planking, hamstring stretches and stationary sitting bicycle helped me a lot initially getting over my back injury. The worst part is waiting for it to heal enough so you can start those exercises.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a $30 office chair from Walmart that I picked up 5 years ago. It's still perfect. Great ergonomics comfortable and lines up perfectly with my cheap ass Office Depot desk.

It's kind of like beds. You don't know if it's going to be the right choice until years later. A lot of those designer chairs are uncomfortable and "un-ergonomic" for a lot of body types.

Ashley home furnishings, leather electric reclining sectional, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.... Best set up ever.

Kneeling chairs can present their own problems, my PT suggested using them in limited amounts switching between something like that, an exercise ball and laying down. It takes time to recover and also to rebuild that core. But here is an example of some things to look into:

Knee Chair (many models like this)

Balance ball (also many like this)

Ergonomic chair I used and still use since Spinal injury and surgery (linked to this earlier)

I would start out with laying down and walking, the move to the laying down / kneeling. Then progress to laying down, kneeling, balance ball. Then to kneeling and balance ball. Then just to balance ball. If you find some of that difficult because of chronic back issues or have other issues like neck issues which I had you can also look at getting a chair like the one i linked. Make sure you walk and keep mobile once you are cleared for it, that will really help out. That and doing things like planking, hamstring stretches and stationary sitting bicycle helped me a lot initially getting over my back injury. The worst part is waiting for it to heal enough so you can start those exercises.

I've definitely noticed I can sit for longer periods of time if I am more active. I've been trying to lightly play some basketball, walk, and just staying active with the kids. I haven't tried a balance ball though, do you literally sit on those at a desk or just for stretching?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back