What kind of an upgrade should I get???

silenteye

Limp Gawd
Ok I want to get lots of opinions on this, I really care what you guys have to say, so please give me a piece of your mind!!!

Ok I know my computer is pretty sweet for gaming (not the best, I know, but still damn good).....

However, I am preparing for when I get a little extra cash on the side (not sure how much, hopin its a lot though)

I'd really like to get some sort of an upgrade to be ready for all the future Crysises and whatnot.

So what should I get???

My suggestions for myself I think would be first a new motherboard, because although this one is pretty good, it does not allow overclocking so I'm stuck at 2.13ghz for a bit.

I also know 320mb of Vram won't be enough in the futurezzzzz

Anyways WHAT DO U GUYS THINK????

Thanks

Depends heavily on what size/resolution monitor you're using. If it's anything at 1650x1080 or higher, sell you 8800 GTS and buy a GTX or Ultra. That'd be about a $300 upgrade, since you could sell the GTS for around $200 and buy a GTX for $500 or so. If you're running 1024x768 or 1280x1024 don't worry about upgrading you GTS yet, aside from possibly buying an aftermarket cooler like the Thermalright HR-03 Plus and overclocking.

If you want to replace the motherboard your least expensive option would be something like the Abit IP35-E at around $80. If you need more SATA ports and such look at the other boards in the IP35 line or possibly Gigabyte's P35-DS3R. If you have a very high end display (1920x1200 or better) consider a SLI motherboard like the eVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 680i SLI board at around $200. If you don't, don't worry about it, stick with the P35 based boards as they tend to OC a bit better and run cooler.

If things are working fine for the present then I wouldn't worry about it too much -- wait until something is /out/ that makes your current hardware work too hard, then look at what's available.

Ok thanks for that.
I can't believe I didn't post my monitor.
I'm using a Samsung Syncmaster 931B or somethin, its 19 inches so the max res I can even go at is 1280x1024, and since I'm sitting real close to the monitor, it is more than good enough.

I'm just bugged that my clock speed on my CPU is stuck at 2.13ghz. I can really tell its bottlenecking my performance for some games.

And my motherboard is really good, its just that I can't overclock (as far as I know, I'm going to do some research)....

If you are happy with 1280, stick with it but if you want to see something special get a 24" or larger 1080p monitor and a GTX :)
And of course get a motherboard that clocks!

I'd get a different motherboard...one that overclocks well.

Keep the 320MB GTS if you plan on staying around 1280 x1024.

im curious

whats the difference between say a 19inch monitor at 1280x1024
and a 24 inch at a high res.....say sitting a foot farther back...

Like my face is right up to the screen so i would think its ok

i dont really know though

im curious

whats the difference between say a 19inch monitor at 1280x1024
and a 24 inch at a high res.....say sitting a foot farther back...

Like my face is right up to the screen so i would think its ok

i dont really know though

Better definition of lines. More pixels means fewer jagglies and more detail. If you're happy with what you've got stick with it... the cost of running higher resolution displays skyrockets, and it's one of those things where once you try it you're never quite willing to go back. I won't accept anything less than 1600x1200 anymore, and would like to move up even farther, but I know I can't afford a 24" LCD or the second GTX for SLI to get acceptable framerates on it. ;)

Ok, well for now I'm happy with the size of my monitor, maybe one day I'll want to change it.

I'm thinking of maybe waiting until a new Geforce line comes out (which shouldn't be too far away right) or get a nice new processor when higher clocked quad cores come out or something.

Back