What killed my card?

hajalie24

[H]ard|Gawd
One of my 6950's was getting ridiculously hot while playing games (over 100 C, and this was the bottom card) so I took it out and tried installing my old HR-03 cooler with a 92mm fan on it. Put everything back together and noticed the card wasn't detected. I figured the card probably won't work without the fan plugged in so I put back the old twin frozr cooler. Still wouldn't work. And idea what managed to kill the GPU? Static? I don't think I ever had the PCB touch the carpet though.

heat killed your card. you said it was running over 100c. i would look at the cooler. was it junked up (dust, dirt, fur, etc.). was the fan spinning? was it seated properly?

There wasn't much dust. It wasn't that long since I last cleaned it out. The fan was working too. It had more space than the top card too but still ran hotter. It's just weird that it died when I tried replacing the heatsink on it and not anytime before that.

Looking at some pictures of the model of the motherboard, I am wondering if there is any damage to the capacitors beneath the bottom pcie slot. I'd check to see if one is dented maybe from the install or removing the card. Although that would probably short circuit the board as well, so if the board still boots up it's probably not it.

Have you tried the card in another slot as well?

Looking at some pictures of the model of the motherboard, I am wondering if there is any damage to the capacitors beneath the bottom pcie slot. I'd check to see if one is dented maybe from the install or removing the card. Although that would probably short circuit the board as well, so if the board still boots up it's probably not it.

Have you tried the card in another slot as well?

Yeah I tried it out on both slots. On the bottom slot I just won't get video, in the first slot I get the error beeps. Good thing MSI has a 3 year warranty though, but since there's no way I'll be getting a 6950 back it looks like I'm going to probably replace my working 6950.

Back