What I’ve learned from nearly three years of enterprise Wi-Fi at home

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Jim Kim, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

I've never seen them as enterprise, more like prosumer/smb gear.

Interesting article though, mirrors some of my own experiences over the years and why I try to keep it simple these days. I'd rather spend my weekends doing other stuff than working on my home network.

pfc_m_drake likes this.
  2. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

As someone how is about to move from a condo to a 2000sqft house I’ve really been thinking about this stuff. I already have a erl, es16, 2 ap ac pros. With the pool I am expecting a lot of guest. Plus I think it’s time to put all the iot devices on their own VLAN. I feel like buying a er4 so I can set things up on that ahead of time.

At the same time I like the keep it simple approach.

3. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

Do you want to hang out with your guests at the pool or work on your network lol

4. Vengance_01

Vengance_01 [H]ardness Supreme

To be honest it's not that hard. Go with a unifi security gateway and switch with there APs. Set and forget. MY unifi AP gear just works no questions asked. They regularly have 6 plus months of up time till I reboot them to install software

antok86 likes this.
  5. grasshoppa

grasshoppa Gawd

Sure, lacking imagination ( and a healthy sense of sanity preservation ) , it's not that hard.

However...there are so many neat little buttons and features to play with....radius, vlans, guest portals, bandwidth throttling...I've done what the author of that article has done, but the difference is that I know that's the goal; it's not to have a functioning network, it's to play with my toys. A functional network is periphery to the experience, in much the same way a completed lego set was only part of the process of getting a new kit as a kid.

6. Grentz

Grentz Pick your own.....you deserve it.

He even over-complicates his article.

Unifi can be set it and forget it, if you go with the KISS rule.

7. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

I tried to use an AP-AC-Pro for almost a year, and it was not so “set-and-forget”. The default settings don’t even work properly with iOS devices (something to do with DTIM https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi...onnectivity-loss-with-UAP-AC-PRO/td-p/1431847) and I experienced all sorts of other flakiness, especially around firmware updates and resetting the device. I ended up ditching the Unifi and going back to my cheap TP-Link AP.

Based on my experience with the UAP, I will never purchase another Uniquiti AP. I’m happy with my E-RX though.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. antok86

antok86 [H]ardness Supreme

setup my home and brothers using unifi gear. sure you can do all the adavnce settings but you can also keep it simple. the key for me it was reliability. once you have invested the initial time to set it up properly you really dont need to do anything else. i have mine running on a ups back up and its been solid. have setup with multiple AP and wired and wireless clients. not to mention their cusomter support is top notch

9. Vengance_01

nothing is perfect for sure. I have heard of the iOS issue. I have about 15 wireless devices from a wife range of manufacturers and everything is bullet proof for me. My 2 in wall ac units work great and because my house was wired only with 2 drops (for phones) this was the best I could do. I get full coverage in my 2500 sqft house

10. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Limp Gawd

+1 It actually solved issues with my wife's older 6s switching from a Asus AC87 to the AC-HD, I haven't had any issues with any of the iOS devices I own/use or my guests that join up.

11. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

Just to be clear, he ran into issues because he overcomplicated the shit out of his network and messed with things he didn’t understand.

12. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

The AP-HD is a completely different model, but just out of interest, did you use separate SSIDs for the 2.4 and 5GHz radios?

13. Spartacus09

Spartacus09 Limp Gawd

Of course, I wanted the 4x4 radios and wave 2 because....definitely needed that :p.
    I left them combined, its centrally located in a 2k sq ft two story house though, unless I go outside nothing has to drop to 2.4.

14. bds1904

bds1904 Gawd

And the fact that having multiple AP’s with decent coverage from 2 AP’s without seamless roaming just plain doesn’t work.

The lack of real seamless roaming on UniFi is the #1 reason I installed 10 unifi wifi networks and then replaced them with open-mesh or mikrotik setups.

15. Vengance_01

wierd have never had any issues with roaming in my 2 unifi APs. Single set of 5ghz and 2.4ghz ssids. Granted you are not alone in this. Unfi gear can be very hit and miss for some people.

16. ComputerBox34

ComputerBox34 Right in the Box

I would never use UniFi in a production environment - too many times have I run into functionality breaking bugs when it comes to firmware or even doing simple things like using 40 mhz channels instead of 20.

There's a reason why they are so cheap...

For now, I'm good with a "stable" unifi setup that I never want to touch again, pfsense, and proxmox running all of my VM's. I have plenty of things I can play around with at work.

17. Eickst

Eickst [H]ard|Gawd

It's because no one that works with enterprise gear considers UniFi 'enterprise' grade. Prosumer at best

18. Vengance_01

it's more smb gear. I use it at my work because my boss needed affordable wireless with a single way manage everything, radius support, vlan support and guest wifi portal. For it fit bill for way cheaper then anything else and it just works.

19. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I run 3 mesh APs in wired setup and absolutely love them. Have a USG pro as well but it's off as I'm testing PFsense right now.