What It’s Like To Play Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The sequel to Human Revolution looks like it’s got the same gameplay that made the original great, but the graphics seem to have taken a significant hit. Some of it still looks impressive, but other portions (like the 3rd-person convo) look very last gen. The game will be released on August 23, 2016.

In Deus Ex: Human Revolution…Stealth was always the better option. Not so in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Don't get me wrong, Call of Duty it is not, but there's a finer balance to the combat this time, one that, should you want to, lets you go in all guns blazing. Not that I had much choice in my black market ID encounter. Quickly, I armed myself with an assault rifle, taking out the gang leader before hunkering down behind a bullet-riddled car. The gunfire had set off its alarm, and a police drone was rapidly approaching along with several heavily armed officers. I dashed to the doorway of the courtyard, wrestling with the slightly awkward cover system that pulls you from a first-person to third-person viewpoint, and asks you to aim a pointer at where you'd like to go, rather than let you run around freely. The precision is welcome, but it doesn't always come naturally.

Please don't refer to a remake as "the original". The original was released in 2000, and it is the greatest game ever made to date. Human Revolution is just a faint echo of it.

Please don't refer to a remake as "the original". The original was released in 2000, and it is the greatest game ever made to date. Human Revolution is just a faint echo of it.

Well, if you read the way he wrote it, he said original in context of this new sequel.. as in, it's predecessor. Nowhere do I see that he said HR was the original above all other originals.

Even if he did, so what? It's just a game.

Either way, when I first read that I thought it ment they were going all the way back to the original in terms of game play(which I would be totally fine with). Then he said that part about some graphics looking last gen and realized he was taking about HR.

Does not matter, this is one of the few day 1 purchases I will make this year. . . Actually it's the only one on my radar at the moment.

I would not say it is the prettiest graphics I have ever seen, but they look good to me. Plus, if the game can look that good and run real smooth, I will be very happy. This will probably be a day 1 purchase for me as well. This and Dishonored 2 are the only ones I see in the near future that will grab my immediate attention.

Yeah, it just looks like they aren't pushing the texture quality very hard. But there looks to be plenty of shaders and lighting, going on. It all probably fits pretty well into 2 - 3 GB of VRAM.

The game looks solid. As long as it isn't too key heavy on player control, I'll get it.

so the graphics are downgraded from the E3 footage? anybody able to confirm? also this is a DX12 title if i recall

Even if he did, so what? It's just a game.

And the Mona Lisa is just a painting...

Thief, System Shock, and Deus Ex... nothing has ever really lived up to the originals. I don't care how HD the textures are, is the game fun?

Reactions: pothb
like this
Who cares if it doesn't look super polished as long as it's a damn good game. I loved HR; great game!

And the Mona Lisa is just a painting...

Thief, System Shock, and Deus Ex... nothing has ever really lived up to the originals. I don't care how HD the textures are, is the game fun?
Well... I hear a lot of great things regarding the original but honestly, I can't get myself to really play it. I can go back and play VtM:B though I have been it previously (2008ish) but I don't have much trouble with VtM if any at all. But i had a blast with HR, still do.

Back