What It Feels Like to Fly Over The Earth

how fast is that sat going?

did they speed it up or it really goes that fast?

how fast is that sat going?

did they speed it up or it really goes that fast?

IIRC a satellite takes about 90 minutes to orbit the Earth so it's definitely sped up. ;)

It's neat seeing the thunderstorms - the twinkling/flashing cloudtops is lightning! :eek:

So this is what that NASA satellite will be looking at right before it blows some of us up in day or so!!

uars-reentry-hayabusa_40587_600x450.jpg

[H]ealer;1037781209 said:
This running at about 10% speed would be the perfect screensaver!!

Reminds me of that old screensaver "Eye of The Storm". Wish it was still being supported.

What is that outline... is that the atmostphere? Also, what was up with all the "fire" like .... objects? They can't all be errupting volcanoes.

I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed until I saw the lightning storms...

What is that outline... is that the atmostphere? Also, what was up with all the "fire" like .... objects? They can't all be errupting volcanoes.

I have to admit, I wasn't too impressed until I saw the lightning storms...

Atmosphere. As far as the fire like objects, you mean the cities?

Seeing the lightning storms sped up like that looked pretty neat especially since they covered such a large area.

that was cool as hell, especially the lightning storms. but damn some bubbas need to turn off the lights!

that was cool as hell, especially the lightning storms. but damn some bubbas need to turn off the lights!

Getting away from the cities is great sometimes. The amount of space you can see in the sky when you're in the mountains far away from civ can be overwhelmingly cool.

Too bad Dreamscene was removed from Windows 7 or this would definitely be my desktop wallpaper.

There is an activator out there that messes with the registry in Windows 7 that allows a person to use dreamscene. This will be my desktop videopaper :)

You sure that's lightning, and not the Aurora? (Didn't watch it full-screen, sorry)

you need special light sensitive cameras to photograph the aurora. it would be very shimmery and would not light up clouds.

Awesome video, and I thought of two questions while watching:

1. Wouldn't there be some flickering of lights in the cities due to buildings turning their lights off, etc? Or would things like individual buildings turning off their lights not be noticeable from so high up?

2. I know the video is sped up, but roughly how fast do satellites like this travel?

1. Wouldn't there be some flickering of lights in the cities due to buildings turning their lights off, etc? Or would things like individual buildings turning off their lights not be noticeable from so high up?

2. I know the video is sped up, but roughly how fast do satellites like this travel?

1. not noticeable from that high

2. from answers.com
The circular orbital velocity of a satellite in low earth orbit is about 7 km/s or 25000 km/hr or 17500 miles/hr. If it reaches sqrt(2) times the circular velocity, it will escape from earth orbit and go into orbit about the sun.
The current record holder for a man made object is the New Horizons probe, which left earth orbit at 16 km/s.
A satellite can travel 5 miles per second, therefore that equals 300 miles a minute. So that means a satellite travels at an unbelievable speed of 18,000mph . THATS VERY FAST!!!!!!!!

1) Not noticeable without extremely powerful lenses and high resolution cameras doing the recording which this was not.

2) This video was taken aboard the International Space Station and as quoted from wikipedia

The ISS is maintained in a nearly circular orbit with a minimum mean altitude of 278 km (173 mi) and a maximum of 460 km (286 mi). It travels at an average speed of 27,724 kilometres (17,227 mi) per hour, and completes 15.7 orbits per day

It looks like the Earth is on fire and being bomb all over...or is it just me? Still I love it very cool.

The majority of the light you see from cities is street lighting, not so much interior building lights.

Well, I created a screensaver if anyone wants it.

I downloaded the the video at highest setting with YouTube Downloader.
Convert the MP4 to SWF at max settings.
Created the Screen Saver via Instant Storm

http://www.2shared.com/file/i5y3x_N1/Earth_Fly_Over.html

It was more an exercise in trying to see how quickly I could do it with a free tool, more than anything. NO advertising/Links/etc added by me.

Well, I created a screensaver if anyone wants it.

I downloaded the the video at highest setting with YouTube Downloader.
Convert the MP4 to SWF at max settings.
Created the Screen Saver via Instant Storm

http://www.2shared.com/file/i5y3x_N1/Earth_Fly_Over.html

It was more an exercise in trying to see how quickly I could do it with a free tool, more than anything. NO advertising/Links/etc added by me.

The SWF ended up being 720x576 even though my source file was 1280x720. Hmm, Would need a better conversion program than Tipard HD apparently to maintain 720p.

Back