What is your XFX 5870 overclocked @?

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
I just boosted the core speed up to 440 and Memory speed up to 1280 and it actually dropped my 3d mark score by almost 2k. What am I doing wrong? I'm using ATI Tray Tools. Does anyone have any similar experiences with this program?

440? I'm guessing 940? As for the lower score, try lowering the RAM speeds to 1250. With GDDR5's ECC, if you push the memory too high you won't see artifacts but will lose performance.

10pbnfr.png

Whats the GPU score? The total also uses the CPU score so it can make it difficult to see if the GPU is where it needs to be. It should be in the 17,00 to 18,000 range at that core speed. For referencing, my GPU score is 19,500 when it's clocked at 1015/1275.

Ditch ATT for overclocking and use MSI Afterburner. It works for every brand, and if you have a reference card you'll get voltage control. Slowly push it up along with the core speed. But be careful. the default fan profile doesn't work well once you pass 1.2v. Then you can use another great feature of Afterburner and create your own custom fan curve/profile. The only downside is that the program has the running for it work. It also has an interface that is easy for anyone to understand and has good hardware monitoring.

Most guys doing 1000 are doing it with increased voltage. Not all cards will do this.

Well im at 900/1300 on stock voltage. Thats the max that ATT overdrive allows. Runs like a champ. I dont really like the idea of adjusting the voltage since at the current clocks I hit around 80C-83C at full load. I cant imagine what temps I would hit with the increased voltage.

Yeah, this Accelero Xtreme 5870 is a sweet cooler. It's 22C in my room right now and I just ran Furmark for 5 minutes. With the fan at 50% (Manual.) it plateaued at 57C. It was idling at 33C before I started Furmark.

I'll be moving to water cooling (CPU and GPU.) in a couple weeks so things can only get better.

BTW, both eVGA Precision and MSI afterburner are based off of RivaTuner, but with custom GUI.

HOWEVER, MSI AB retains voltage control/monitoring and custom fan profiles.

Hah, well i mean you've been here for 10 years, and you're trying to overclock an HD5800 with Atitool, a program that came out around the 8500/9700 days - 8 generations ago. And you're trying to overclock your 2D desktop clocks which has nothing to do with gaming performance...

Haha, man this is too funny, and sorry to call you old - how about 'oldschool'?. This is like something my grandfather would do if he was trying to OC a graphics card.

Yeah man I don't follow this stuff nearly as close as I used to.

I'm using the MSI afterburner now and it works great. I only got 200 more marks after overclocking too 900mhz, tho.

well, that's a small boost in core frequency. Add some volts, crank the fan speed and shoot for 1000mhz core, 1275mhz memory

Back