What is your Windows 10 bloatware removal tricks?

ShepsCrook

[H]F Junkie
So as we've all seen, Windows 10 is crawling with bloatware/phone homes/extra crap, whatever you want to call it. (Please refrain from useless comments like "Just uninstall Windows 10, or I didn't install Windows 10, or run other operating system. Let's try and make this useful for people that ARE running Windows 10 or want to).

What are you doing about it?

My routine obviously varies for the use of the machine, however I'll be updating some clients machines. With that process, I'll be disabling a lot of the tiles and extras that are unnecessary for a business environment, as well as to remove things that they might accidentally click on which might install something they don't need.

During installation, I disable all options in the setup.

Removing all apps except for Windows Store for ALL users:
For a bigger list of packages to remove: Link
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | where-object {$_.name –notlike “*store*”} | Remove-AppxPackage

Disabling OneDrive:
The following code goes into a batch file and run as an administrator.
Code:
@echo off
cls
set x86="%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\OneDriveSetup.exe"
set x64="%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe"
echo Closing OneDrive process.
echo.
taskkill /f /im OneDrive.exe > NUL 2>&1
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > NUL 2>&1
echo Uninstalling OneDrive.
echo.
if exist %x64% (
%x64% /uninstall
) else (
%x86% /uninstall
)
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 > NUL 2>&1
echo Removing OneDrive leftovers.
echo.
rd "%USERPROFILE%\OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "C:\OneDriveTemp" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
rd "%PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft OneDrive" /Q /S > NUL 2>&1
echo Removing OneDrive from the Explorer Side Panel.
echo.
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f > NUL 2>&1
REG DELETE "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{018D5C66-4533-4307-9B53-224DE2ED1FE6}" /f > NUL 2>&1
pause

Removing the "Get Office" Notification:
http://www.howtogeek.com/226321/how-to-disable-the-“get-office”-notifications-on-windows-10/

Other useful links:

Windows 10 Apps Manager: Link
CCleaner 5.11 (introduced the ability to uninstall Windows 10 applications: Link
Removing Windows 10 Spyware: Link

Last edited:
And... obviously not very helpful to the discussion.

Well honestly, how long do you expect to be able to fight this? You do what you can to remove the bloatware/spyware, next update it's all enabled and back again!

You don't own the OS, you own a licence to use the OS, Microsoft can do whatever they want with their operating system!

Run Windows 10, accept the cons and the lack of privacy/updating issues, or find an alternative - Whether that be Microsoft or not.

One way or another, you don't own the OS! It's not yours! You can't win this futile little battle!

Well honestly, how long do you expect to be able to fight this? You do what you can to remove the bloatware/spyware, next update it's all enabled and back again!

You don't own the OS, you own a licence to use the OS, Microsoft can do whatever they want with their operating system!

Run Windows 10, accept the cons and the lack of privacy/updating issues, or find an alternative - Whether that be Microsoft or not.

One way or another, you don't own the OS! It's not yours! You can't win this futile little battle!

I really don't care if they own the OS. I own the hardware, and the bandwidth they are using to acquire their information. And if there are ways of preventing their gathering or even their forced applications on the OS, I will use them.
Also, if you didn't ready the OP, it's not strictly regarding the "Spyware." It's also about bloatware, what you disable, removing tiles, applications that are embedded into the system (Like OneDrive), etc.

So please, if you have no relevant information that is useful to the topic of the conversation, then move along.

Last edited:
I really don't care if they own the OS. I own the hardware, and the bandwidth they are using to acquire their information. And if there are ways of preventing their gathering or even their forced applications on the OS, I will use them.

So please, if you have no relevant information that is useful to the topic of the conversation, then move along.

Whether or not you own the hardware is completely irrelevant, there are already numerous Windows threads involving discussion of the numerous issues surrounding Windows 10, and these issues have been analysed inside and out!

The fact remains, that no matter what you do, no matter how you attempt to overcome the issues surrounding Windows 10, Microsoft always hold the upper hand and will always win the battle as they own the OS!

I see people fighting to stay on Windows 7 - It's not going to happen, Microsoft won't allow it no matter how long they claim to support the OS for. At the same time I see people fighting to stay on windows 8/8.1, once again, it's not going to happen due to the above mentioned reasons!

The only way out as I see it, if you prefer the Windows platform, is to run a pirated version of Windows 7 and disable updates - And in saying that I in no way whatsoever condone piracy, but I quite simply cannot see any way to completely illuminate the popup forcing you to partake in the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Bear in mind, that simply because my opinion opposes your own does not in any way indicate trolling or off topic discussion, I am discussing the topic with a realistic point of view.

However, that's my take on it, fight away!

I don't even notice all the extra apps on my PC. What do people do, go looking around for things they hate? Are they any performance gains from removing all these items?

I don't even notice all the extra apps on my PC. What do people do, go looking around for things they hate? Are they any performance gains from removing all these items?

The problem lies with the fact that the user had no choice but to install them on their PC, highlighting a lack of control and ownership over ones machine. The extra apps do little to hinder performance.

Microsoft is trying to eliminate segregation on the Windows platform by moving to a system closer to the likes of Apple's walled garden approach with OSX, and allowing everyone to run differing versions of Windows is hindering that effort.

One could simply argue that the applications that are launched and running, even in the background, are using resources on your machine. So yes in theory, disabling even the smallest running application could help performance gains.

Most modern systems would not be hindered by what's in 10.

What I find interesting is the fact that my Windows 7 PC at work, which is a fairly new OEM machine, isn't prompting me to update to Windows 10 - In fact none of the PC's at work are.

I have a feeling that if the machine is connected to a DC you avoid the issue completely. At the same time, in my experience with the enterprise trial of Windows 10, all spyware/app store/updating issues are eliminated the second the OS is connected to a DC, even the live tiles are removed from the start menu.

My secondary PC is running Windows 10 Professional full version, I should connect it to the DC and see if I, once again, get the same result making the OS more like the Windows operating systems of old.

What I find interesting is the fact that my Windows 7 PC at work, which is a fairly new OEM machine, isn't prompting me to update to Windows 10 - In fact none of the PC's at work are.

I have a feeling that if the machine is connected to a DC you avoid the issue completely. At the same time, in my experience with the enterprise trial of Windows 10, all spyware/app store/updating issues are eliminated the second the OS is connected to a DC, even the live tiles are removed from the start menu.

I seem to recall that volume licenses were not getting the free update. (I could be wrong)

As well as your DC can block many of those things, just like they can block Windows updates.

I seem to recall that volume licenses were not getting the free update. (I could be wrong)

As well as your DC can block many of those things, just like they can block Windows updates.

It is true that via group policy a great many things regarding the client OS can be altered. however I never changed a single thing in group policy, all I did was connect my Windows 10 PC to the domain controller and next login the OS was void of any of the negative issues surrounding Windows 10.

Could be inherent with being connected to a DC setup.

I'll be finding out soon enough when I upgrade my clients machines.

Could be inherent with being connected to a DC setup.

I'll be finding out soon enough when I upgrade my clients machines.

Well it stands to reason, there's no way business/corporations would put up with the live tiles/app stores and updating issues of Windows 10.

It would be interesting to see what you find, because I know for a fact that the second my PC was connected to my DC Windows 10 suddenly became more like the Windows of old and all the issues surrounding Windows 10 were immediately gone.

I've actually got a machine I'll be testing tomorrow. I'll report back with that information.

I've actually got a machine I'll be testing tomorrow. I'll report back with that information.

As stated, at that time I was trailing Windows 10 and running the Enterprise Edition connected to a DC, so I have no idea whether W10 Pro behaves the same. I'd have to assume, however, that it does.

Yes they are. Minutes after activating W7 PRO with a volume licensing key and the nagware is already there, after windows update installs updates.

Perhaps MS does own the OS and we lease it but I also lease my apartment from the owner. As such, I am still free to configure the apartment to suit me; furnishings, placement, colors are all still my decisions. Less flexible than if I owned a home but I rather enjoy the idea of letting the owner handle the major headaches.

Same with MS, they can have the headache of programming, updates, security but I still want to configure it to my liking.

My usage of W10 includes turning off settings switches for things I don't need, want or use. uninstalling things I don't need, want or use; disabling things I don't need, want or use.

I have found that CCleaner allows for uninstalling/disabling things that aren't easily uninstalled using the W10 system. Glad to know that as I always run it on both W7 and W10 to clean up files and folders.

In defense of W10, I've also done the same with W7. Things I don't need, want or use are also turned off/uninstalled. Aero is off, Sidebar/Gadgets is off, whatever else that annoys me. Rather like my apartment. Things are where I want them and in the colors, shapes and sizes I prefer. The owner has no control over that.

Perhaps MS does own the OS and we lease it but I also lease my apartment from the owner. As such, I am still free to configure the apartment to suit me; furnishings, placement, colors are all still my decisions. Less flexible than if I owned a home but I rather enjoy the idea of letting the owner handle the major headaches.

Same with MS, they can have the headache of programming, updates, security but I still want to configure it to my liking.

My usage of W10 includes turning off settings switches for things I don't need, want or use. uninstalling things I don't need, want or use; disabling things I don't need, want or use.

I have found that CCleaner allows for uninstalling/disabling things that aren't easily uninstalled using the W10 system. Glad to know that as I always run it on both W7 and W10 to clean up files and folders.

In defense of W10, I've also done the same with W7. Things I don't need, want or use are also turned off/uninstalled. Aero is off, Sidebar/Gadgets is off, whatever else that annoys me. Rather like my apartment. Things are where I want them and in the colors, shapes and sizes I prefer. The owner has no control over that.

I'm not disputing what you want, nor am I disputing how you should be able to use your hardware. But that's the issue, without an operating system your hardware is useless, and you're running an operating system that your licenced to use but don't in any way, shape, or form own - And the irony is, that just by choosing to run such an operating system you are allowing, and therefore encouraging large multinationals to control your computing experience.

Argue all you like, try to twist the facts all you like - That is the simplest form of the harsh reality of the situation. MS likes what Apple have done with OSX and they plan on doing the same thing so everyone can enjoy the exact same, closely scrutinized, desktop experience under Windows.

And do what you like to block the changes, chaces are, next update, it will all revert back to the way MS likes it to be and any software that attempts to alter that experience will probably be removed.

And you justify this to yourself by feeling the fuzzy warmth that comes from the fact that you can run MS Office, and apparently that's the benchmark for safe and reliable inter workplace communication.

You could change things for the better, but what about Office?! Not to mention EA Games!

We understand your point. No need to keep reiterating it with every new poster commenting.

This is definitely at the point of thread crapping and trolling.

I use Spybot Anti-Beacon to disable the telemetry/tracking stuff and CCleaner to uninstall all of the unused modern apps (allows uninstalling apps you normally can't). Windows 10 Apps Manager doesn't work that well.

Out of curiosity, what do you use the OS for? Is there any reason to upgrade to Windows 10? If you're disabling so much stuff, what benefit do you get from upgrading?

I know there are some small speed improvements with each new version, etc.. But, some people are uninstalling everything they can, installing a Start Menu replacement, and they are turning it into Windows 7 (or earlier) with just a new backend.

Not saying it's a bad or good thing, just curious as to why and how you use the OS.

We understand your point. No need to keep reiterating it with every new poster commenting.

This is definitely at the point of thread crapping and trolling.

Sorry, I disagree.

The conversation is going along the lines of discussion and I am in no way repeating myself any more than the myriad of Windows users out there frustrated with the state of Windows but appear totally and utterly unable to do anything about it other than stick with W7, W8 or apply third party unenforceable hacks to achieve a sense of ownership over their PC.

The difference is I'm tired of listening to it, I'm tired of the countless threads discussing the same topic and I'm over the fact that people seem unable to accept the fact that MS can do whatever they want - And I'm providing an opposing point of view. An opposing point of view is not thread crapping any more than harping on about the issues surrounding W10 is, and is most defiantly not trolling.

I have not insulted anyone in this discussion, tordogs asked a question, I replied to his question - While you understood the meaning of my point, quite obviously he did not. Carry on...

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what do you use the OS for? Is there any reason to upgrade to Windows 10? If you're disabling so much stuff, what benefit do you get from upgrading?

I know there are some small speed improvements with each new version, etc.. But, some people are uninstalling everything they can, installing a Start Menu replacement, and they are turning it into Windows 7 (or earlier) with just a new backend.

Not saying it's a bad or good thing, just curious as to why and how you use the OS.

Even if you downgrade to Windows 7, MS is still pushing/forcing the upgrade to Windows 10 unless you scan updates in a constant state of paranoia and reject the ones that enable the updater or apply third party hacks.

Is CCleaner still free?

Last edited:
I use Spybot Anti-Beacon to disable the telemetry/tracking stuff and CCleaner to uninstall all of the unused modern apps (allows uninstalling apps you normally can't). Windows 10 Apps Manager doesn't work that well.

Ditto. Seems to work rather well.

Could just read the other Windows 10 "spyware" removal threads that have most of the original win10 tools to remove everything you mentioned.

And this isn't just about the spyware. This is about what each person individually removes from their Windows 10 installs, and how they do it. It just so happens that most people like to disable or remove the spyware things typically. Thanks for your input.

I just remove any third party software and go with a flat Windows install. I turn off suggestions on the Start menu and ads for Office 365. So far, that's been it. I use Cortana daily, spell check, weather, etc., so I keep all the spy stuff on there so Microsoft can sell it. :D

I use Spybot - Anti Beacon to block telemetry data, in addition to blocking access to telemetry servers via Firewall.

I do however, use Enterprise, so I have greater control over the OS.

I also upgraded to win 10 out of curiosity rather than being pestered into it, Enterprise Win 7 does not get a free Win 10 upgrade, so it never attempts to download any win 10 related things, just telemetry access.

The fact remains, that no matter what you do, no matter how you attempt to overcome the issues surrounding Windows 10, Microsoft always hold the upper hand and will always win the battle as they own the OS!

If this assertion is true, that's very depressing. Considering that they have lost out in some markets, that is, they can't control ALL our purchases and technology selections.

I see people fighting to stay on Windows 7 - It's not going to happen, Microsoft won't allow it no matter how long they claim to support the OS for. At the same time I see people fighting to stay on windows 8/8.1, once again, it's not going to happen due to the above mentioned reasons!
Exactly how is Microsoft going to push people off Win 7 and 8, all the while claiming to provide support through 2020?

There's an article in this month's Maximum PC by Tom Halfhill titled "It's Not Your PC Anymore" and I highly recommend people read it if they can. It's not posted on the website yet but probably will be in a few weeks. If you see Maximum PC on a news stand someplace stop and give it a quick read, it's just one page as all Halfhill's articles are but it's incredibly on point - he's a Microsoft supporter himself and even he's gotten to the point where this whole fiasco with Windows 10 has soured him on it because of issues he's had with Windows 10 and even on machines that aren't running it (and because of the problems he now has no intentions of installing it on them).

That's the best Windows 10 bloatware removal method there is. :)

Out of curiosity, what do you use the OS for?

I use my OS to learn things from programming and keep up with current things because I have to. Its how I make my money staying on top of Windows since I work in a plant where most the machines run a form of Windows from Dos on up. They say we are moving to W10 in the future but we will be getting Enterprise LTSB (which is the most stripped down version of Windows 10 you can get) for sure where none of this crap will be in there. No Cortana, Edge and no Store or any of the other APPS. Our people won't tolerate it and MS knows this. Truthfully don't want that stuff on a PC shared by 15 people anyway.

Mikey soft changed the game and are shoving it down the throats of people forcing them to upgrade, they are getting more heavy handed in this from what I am reading. Not that hard to see this from many places if you have just a little bit of savvy. They can push it on the unknowing.

If I could buy LTSB then that would be the version I want. I run a 90 day evaluation and probably just keep reinstalling it unless they force me to the darkside.

EDIT: And this don't apply to removing this garbage? http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1870618

Last edited:

What? You think Microsoft can force us Win7/8 users to upgrade to Win10 before support ends on those OSs? Nope, won't be happening, there is already a class action lawsuit started over Microsoft messing up people's PCs with their "accidental" install of Win10.

Superfluous software is a security risk. MS should be very aware of that now. The fact that they haven't yet got round to including actually useful security such as EMET by default is proof they haven't.

Superfluous software is a security risk. MS should be very aware of that now. The fact that they haven't yet got round to including actually useful security such as EMET by default is proof they haven't.

But there is a big difference between installed and running software when it comes to security. How is it possible to compromise inactive software without another vector? And if that vector can comprise inactive software it's likely to be able to compromise anything else, like ransomware that encrypts files which normally would be able to corrupt user data if it can corrupt executables.

Your argument is that once the thief has broken into your house, he can't steal what's not there. And that's true. But he has access to everything else.

But there is a big difference between installed and running software when it comes to security. How is it possible to compromise inactive software without another vector? And if that vector can comprise inactive software it's likely to be able to compromise anything else, like ransomware that encrypts files which normally would be able to corrupt user data if it can corrupt executables.

Your argument is that once the thief has broken into your house, he can't steal what's not there. And that's true. But he has access to everything else.

Doesn't matter, the fact is it can be a liability. Your point is moot.

If folks don't use Java, Flash, plugins they don't use, would you recommend they keep them on their machines? They aren't using them necessarily but there are there. The bad guys are very clever these days. One bit of malicious code activates a dormant item and uses a vulnerability in it. If that dormant item isn't installed...could save the day.

Do properly hardened systems have loads of unused application and software installed? No of course not. They have just what's required to do the job at the time.

I installed Win 10 on a bunch of laptops, all of them >3 years old and with mid-range specs at best, including an Atom notebook on its last legs.

Performance is at least as good as Win 7 in daily subjective use, usability/UI/features are a LOT better.

Show me another OS from any company that actually gets faster with each release! OSX, iOS, Android etc are all bloated pigs with increasing hw requirements and terrible performance on older hardware (by which I mean even 1-2 yr old). Windows 10 and mobile Windows are faster, leaner, with more features and are a great engineering achievement.

If people stopped their hate for a second, the new Photos app, Groove music etc are all more than fine, I haven't felt the need to replace them as I did with 8/8.1. Its a nice, stable OS that syncs your settings, is familiar and a lot more usable than any other desktop OS.

All these 'remove extra bloat' posts remind me of the 'remove Windows services' guides from way back which did absolutely nothing except make your system less capable. Please don't follow this kind of advice on a pc you setup for anyone else. On your own system, feel free to use the tinfoil hat and tinker away.

The amount of spyware and tracking cookies you'll encounter on most websites far exceeds whatever hooks you think MS has built into Windows, let alone some of the biggest culprits like Google/FB. But of course MS is the big bad evil corp.

Back