What is your Widows timeline?

MS Grunt: "I think we should name our office products Word, Excel, Powerpoint!"

MS Exec: Those sound ok.

MS Grunt: "I want a raise."

MS Exec: No. And there's the door.

MS Exec: I think I'll call our new embedded OS, CE... Windows CE, or WinCE for short. Yeah, now that's a good name.

Ya, my first run in with NT 4 was a telecommunication company i was doing data entry for with AS-400 systems and then they let me help out IT, kind of where my career started, we had dual T1 lines! I was always screwing up my computer so had to reinstall many times and learned real quick about what I needed to have before hand, was pretty awesome now that I think back to those times!

I think I've done just about everything...

Started with MSDos

Then 3.1 and then 3.11

Then on to win95 followed quickly by win95 or2

Then win98 followed quickly win98 SE. I also was running a dual boot system on NT4. This was college, so NT4 for papers and stuff, but then boot into 98 for games.

Then somehow I found images of all the floppies for win2000 before it was released. That really was a game changer. It worked without crashing every few hours.

I think I still maintained dual boot with 98se and then ME and then back to 98se. I really held onto 2000 a long time. Then switched to XP and held onto it for a long time. I had other systems with vista, win7 and win8rt but held onto xp after its expiration date. Now onto win10. Haven't gone to win11 yet.

Yes, but we got good at that. I swear wiping my system was a quarterly event to maintain any stability.

that was me when i was using nlite/vlite all the time to try and make the most slipstream windows install i could

that was also me when using windows media center before everyone had app boxes, trying to find ways to cram a bunch of services in there controllable by remote, customize the ui, all using different programs and stuff - when stuff didn't work or got bogged down just reformat to clean it all away

i don't miss those times 🙃🔫

The company I work for used to have a full MSDN sub and I've tried almost every version of Windows that existed up until we stopped renewing (i.e. Windows 7).

Personal machines have had:

3.1 -> 98 (various) -> NT 4 -> 2000 -> 7 -> 10

3.1 > 95 > 98 > Me > XP> Vista > 7 > 8/8.1 > 10 > 11

edit: i forgot windows 8, which was the last version that had windows media center rip to one of the g.o.a.t.s. 🙏
Windows Media centre always seemed like it had such potential, but the company only ever put up a college try, if even that.

Back