What is your PC Game of the Year?

What is your PC Game of the Year?

• Total voters
surprised at all the BC2 votes but I concur it was the only game that kept my attention this year.

Starcraft 2, with the user-driven content and pro scene, is the gaming leader this year. But it's kind of an umbrella.. with a rock solid single player campaign, yet versatile.

I just started Just Cause 2 on Monday, it has the best gameplay. Nowhere near a Bioware story arc, but that it's addictive while just making maelstroms is telling. Talk about non-linear.

Mass Effect 2... I've already ranted. They polished some aspects, but to the point of erosion and dullness. Choices are supposed to be game-changing, but usually aren't that important. The Shadow Broker DLC was incredible and showed what the game could be in short bursts (well, several hours).

So SC2 is the Game of the Year, but JC2 cedes nothing and ME2 isn't really worse. The year of the sequel.

aside from my normal love affair with LotRO I played almost 60 hours of Just Cause 2 which is the top of my steam time charts.. so I guess that's my pick. I know metro is a good one also but I had trouble getting into that game.. the world felt kind of restricted.. had the same issue with the witcher which is another great game.. I hate running into invisible walls or not being able to just go somewhere I can see.. yes I am a bit neurotic.

Im torn between a couple of games.

Mass Effect 2-Just full of epicness.

Divinity 2 The Dragon Saga-Ive got over 50 hours tied up in this game and still have a good ways to go. Pure RPG hack n slash fun!

James Bond Blood Stone-Dont hate me, I think this game is fun as hell.

Splinter Cell Conviction-Same as JBBS.

Edit: All are on PC

I voted for Mass Effect 2, although I thought it had a number of flaws (I HATED the ammo system) it was better then any of the other games I tried. I have not tried Battlefield or Starcraft though.

My vote would've gone to Starcraft II if they didn't decide to do this episodic bullshit and instead released a complete epic saga. Then it would've gone to Bad Company 2, but that game, since March, has annoyed me more than I enjoyed it. It also failed to meet my expectations as a follow-up to DICE's excellent Battlefield 2142. I throughly enjoyed Just Cause II and still play it to this day, but it doesn't have the GOTY 'umph' like my final choice, Mass Effect 2.

Mafia 2 deserves more attention, it really does. But it isn't better than Mass Effect 2, which is a true gem.

Easily ME2.

Battlefield : Bad Company 2 - Fun, but re-playability limited. BF2 felt like each game was a little different with the large maps, BC2 feels like the same choke points and fights every game.

Bioshock 2 - Thought the first was overrated, didn't play the second.

Call of Duty : Black Ops - lol srsly

Civilization V - Great fun, but too glitchy and not as good as Civ4.

Fallout : New Vegas - Great fun again, but the story was nowhere near as engrossing as ME2.

Just Cause 2 - A lot of fun. Just not as in depth as others.

Mafia II - Over hyped, pretty game, not too bad - very short. Would have been better if it wasn't so freaking hyped, and that's the problem with sequels that don't nail it.

Mass Effect 2 - WIN

Metro 2033 - Didn't play

S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Call of Pripyat - Have such a hard time getting into these STALKER games. They sound like everything I would love, but I end up playing them and the environment just makes me feel depressed and I stop playing. (Even though the wastelands of FO3/FO:NV didn't do that to me)

Starcraft II : Wings of Liberty - Waste of money. Ugh. I miss old B.Net.

I gotta go with BC2 on this one. New Vegas possibly would have been my number one but I'm waiting until they patch more of the bugs until I finish it.

SC2 was a great game but I cant bring myself to play online because of my n00bness. Since I wont do that it severely cuts back the replay value for me.

I have half of the other games on my to buy list but I am waiting for steam sales because I'm a cheap bastard.

I find this funny but...The only "PC" game getting any votes for "PC game of the Year" is Starcraft 2.

I find this funny but...The only "PC" game getting any votes for "PC game of the Year" is Starcraft 2.

Civ 5 and STALKER are also PC exclusives.

Actually, if you want to get technical, STALKER is the *only* PC exclusive up there, SC2 and Civ 5 both have Mac versions.

Civ 5 and STALKER are also PC exclusives.

Actually, if you want to get technical, STALKER is the *only* PC exclusive up there, SC2 and Civ 5 both have Mac versions.

Yep. Aware of those 2. Playing CoP now as a matter of fact. Civ isn't my kind of game but I don't count the Mac port. :)

I should have said Starcraft 2 is getting a significant amount of votes... but that's pushing it. The hype on that game would have led me to believe it would do much better in a PC game of the year poll.

Yep. Aware of those 2. Playing CoP now as a matter of fact. Civ isn't my kind of game but I don't count the Mac port. :)

I should have said Starcraft 2 is getting a significant amount of votes... but that's pushing it. The hype on that game would have led me to believe it would do much better in a PC game of the year poll.

10 years on what arguably (note arguably, please) 'perfected' small scale RTS will really hype a game up. Very few games have such thriving online communities after a decade.

It's good, but I can't stand the new matchmaking system so I rarely play it. I play WC3:Frozen Throne more.

Looks like I'm the lone vote for Bioshock 2. I guess it wasn't the most ground breaking or whatever but I love the series. The playability is very good, the combat is a lot of fun now that you can dual wield plasmids and weapons and the story was pretty interesting but I just love the atmosphere. I spend as much time in the game just walking around checking out the scenery as I do playing the game.

So yeah I don't expect it to win any awards but its the 2010 game I enjoyed the most.

Non biased objective choice - Starcraft 2

Scores highly on objective criteria, with only subjective flaws.

Choice with personal bias - Mass Effect 2

Weighted what I felt was more important in a video game.

Personal Favorite - Fallout New Vegas

What I had most fun with personally.

Defense Grid is what I spent more hours on this year than anything else.

Non biased objective choice - Starcraft 2

Scores highly on objective criteria, with only subjective flaws.

Choice with personal bias - Mass Effect 2

Weighted what I felt was more important in a video game.

Personal Favorite - Fallout New Vegas

What I had most fun with personally.

Well I think the your part of the title would imply bias is welcome. People from another demographic would be going nuts over Black Ops, but that's not what many of us here are interested in. That's our bias in general. ;)

Well I think the your part of the title would imply bias is welcome. People from another demographic would be going nuts over Black Ops, but that's not what many of us here are interested in. That's our bias in general. ;)

It depends how you look it at, which is why I separated without voting. Basically to me there is a difference in what I feel is GOTY, in that I may not have liked it the most, but can recognize it's merits, so it is still my opinion in that sense. While on the other hand I can like something a lot, but recognize it isn't the best awards material even though I found it the most fun, which is basically a personal choice.

My vote would've gone to Starcraft II if they didn't decide to do this episodic bullshit and instead released a complete epic saga. Then it would've gone to Bad Company 2, but that game, since March, has annoyed me more than I enjoyed it. It also failed to meet my expectations as a follow-up to DICE's excellent Battlefield 2142. I throughly enjoyed Just Cause II and still play it to this day, but it doesn't have the GOTY 'umph' like my final choice, Mass Effect 2.

How many missions then, 80? Shouldn't Mass Effect just be the complete story from Eden Prime to reapers?

How many missions then, 80? Shouldn't Mass Effect just be the complete story from Eden Prime to reapers?

Mass Effect 2 did bring some significant upgrades to the game in both graphics and game play options. As far as I know they're not planning to do this with SC2.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - but last time I checked (I'm at work so I can't access gaming sites) they plan to charge full price for each set of missions while using the same game structure and engine. That sounds a bit like gouging - even most game expansions aren't the same price as the original game.

I think Bad Company 2 or Mass Effect 2 will win overall GOTY as well, for being multiplatform successes. Your opinions?

I think Bad Company 2 or Mass Effect 2 will win overall GOTY as well, for being multiplatform successes. Your opinions?

Are you saying the general opinion of this forum? Bad Company 2 will likely win. Bad Company 2 caters more the demographics of this forum.

I think Starcraft 2 will have more wins if you look at major gaming sites/publications, due to the significance of the title.

In terms of the general PC gaming populace (fan voting), I think it would be between Black Ops and Starcraft 2, due to popularity and mainstream appeal. Wow players will be too busy playing to vote even if it were eligible (sorry had to throw that in there :p)

I am actually surprised by how well Mass Effect 2 is doing voting wise. I thought BC 2 would be doing better then it is.

Battlefield Bad Company 2. Even though I've burnt out on it and lost interest, it is hands-down the most fun game I've played this year.

As you know I'm on the exclusive 'burnt out' list too! At least I didn't burn out at rank 49... !! ;)

Even so no other game last year came close to the enjoyment I got out of BC2, indeed no other game got close to the amount of hours I put into it. It was also great fun to play with some of the forum members on here.

I'm still contemplating getting the Vietnam expansion when I have some time off at Xmas, but I'm still not sure I can go back to BC2 in any form.

I am actually surprised by how well Mass Effect 2 is doing voting wise. I thought BC 2 would be doing better then it is.

I'm not surprised Mass Effect 2 is getting so many votes. Compelling story, slick combat and incredibly atmospheric. It is pure sci-fi gaming gold. I can't wait for the final part of the trilogy, taking the fight to the Reapers is going to be epic.

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards mass effect 2 but most of the other games I have not played. I do own metor2033 so i should give it a whirl; but I'm waiting on starcraft 2 and fallout vegas; The top 4 games in the list do not interest me. One game I really liked; though I think it is a bit short was lara croft guardian light. Fun little game a bit like portal. Oh well - while I liked Mass Efffect 2 I really wouldn't consider it epic (or game of the year). It had some annoying bits and was rather dumb'ed down.

Mass Effect 2, no contest. The universe, storyline, immersion of that game is really one of the top notch story telling games in years. I dont care if the haters claim its a console port or not, its just a Solid title.

Id maybe give a vote for BC2 if the SP campaign wasnt so atrocious.

As you know I'm on the exclusive 'burnt out' list too! At least I didn't burn out at rank 49... !! ;)

:D i had 300 yards left in the 26-mile marathon and i decided to turn around and go home.

Fallout: New Vegas is #1

Fallout: New Vegas...this game beat EVERY OTHER GAME I OWN COMBINED (yes, even Black Ops)...

...at the number of times it locked up and crashed on me.:(

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Now, to be perfectly honest, I've only played the demo. But that small taste of this game is enough for me to put it to the top of my list.

I see a lot of people voting for BC2 and even though I do like it now I can't vote for it. This game had such a horrible launch that it was pretty much unplayable for a good month after release. It's all patched up now and plays awesome but for this reason it gets a thumbs down frome me. I'm tired of game companies making users pay for beta testing.

Starcraft 2 is a great game with a great release and got my vote. Next up would probably be ME2.

The only game that hasn't made me board at one point all this year is Dirt 2. Love that game, but of the games listed, BF:BC2 for sure. Can't wait till Vietnam and then BF3!

Stalker, hands down.

Nothing else comes even close.

Sure, Metro 2033 was pretty and had a nice storyline and it was fun to see something that exercised by DX11 card, but the game play was much too scripted and restrictive.

The other FPS's this year were kind of tired feeling, like we've done this all before.

Civilization V was cool. A new touch on a classic favorite. It did - however - not suck me in even close to as much as the Stalker series did though.

So:

1.) S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat
2.) Civilization V
3.) Everything else

Back