Votes: 3 3.7%
  • other

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Kingdom Come Deliverance

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Hunt: Showdown

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
GoW was an amazing game, they did everything right with the pacing, fights, the world. I started both AC: Odyssey and RDR2 but they didn't draw me in as much. Spiderman was a great game as well. that would be my second.

Crosscode. It's an amazing throwback 90s style action RPG with the best shooting mechanics I've ever seen. Story pokes fun at MMOs, and has some interesting twists and turns.

Unfortunately, it's not high-profile or backed by big budgets, so it won't win any GOTY

I'm a bit surprised to see God of War winning, especially when coupled with the fact that they gave it GOTY just now on The Game Awards. It's an excellent game, but I guess I didn't think it stood out as the best.

My vote (perhaps ironically) went to KCD. I logged more hours in it than any other narrative driven game this year (i'm excluding online games and "time wasters" like Civ 6 that I've logged more hours in, but that's a totally different experience). It is a game that is far from perfect but it's a supreme example of how technical shortcomings can be overlooked if the game is worth playing. Everything about the environment of the game felt believable, the attention to detail is impeccable. That goes a long way in making a game feel immersive, and I cannot recall ever feeling more interested in a game world than KCD. It's easily my top game of 2018 and will always be one of my absolute favorites.

That said, I can understand why my choice ranks so low, and why others wouldn't share my opinion. But my second choice, and what I expected to be the popular opinion, would be RDR2... and for similar reasons. The narrative might not be as good as GOW, but world as a whole is so much better. Rockstar did an impeccable job bringing 1899 to life. The production quality on this game is through the roof, which is especially noteworthy considering it's size. Usually large, open world games suffer in significant areas such as graphics, writing, voice acting, etc... these things come second to making the world as large as possible with as much to do as possible. Rockstar seems to have made an open world game that rivals any other in terms of content without making the sacrifices that other similarly sized games seem to. It's pretty remarkable.

This was a weird year for gaming. There were a lot of good games released, but I can't say there was a clear cut winner or game changer the way we had games like witcher 3 in the past. Ubisoft came out swinging with their best, but didn't really shake anything up. The fps games were mostly flops, and many games were extremely uneven when you broke down music/story/mechanics/gameplay into ratings. I'd say Ni no kuni 2 might be the most consistently well made game across the board according to that criteria that I played this year as far as larger titles go.

What...no Fortnite?! I'll see myself out. (/runs and hides)

How is this even legal.

Fortnight is several years old at this point, so while technically it isn't a 2018 game, it might just be GOTY based on the staggering number of players, and the fact that it has broken into society unlike any other game this year.

I haven't played God of War but it's probably the highest, most consistently best reviewed game of the year by a large margin as far as AAA titles go.

Kingdom Come Deliverance for not being flashy but sill delivering.

Pathfinder Kingmaker would be a close 2nd

The only game I bought in 2018 was Battlefield V, and man, its got some problems (design and gameplay related).

If I had to vote for the best game I played this year regardless of the release date, it would be Witcher 3 and its expansions.

Kingdom Come Deliverance, Hitman 2 and Subnautica would be pretty close as well though. I only have a PC so haven't played the console games.

GoW had more linearity than I would have liked at times, but it was still a very fun game that was hard to out down. It gets my vote.

Of that list I only played one, Far Cry 5, and that was underwhelming. I voted other but I don't even recall what new games I played this year. I remember games that were disappointments like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed Origins and some others. I don't think I've played a single new average game this year. The industry is spiraling out of control from a quality perspective. I don't think it has ever been this bad. Pretty much all of the major developers, Nintendo, Ubisoft, Square Enix are all shitting the bed consistently with incomplete products.

I was really hoping 2018 would be THE year for SteamVR, but it's just kinda off in the corner mumbling to itself.

The "AAA" PC lineup was just a stream of diarrhea with the odd solid chunk breaking up the monotony.

That said, the indies really landed some solid hits this year, overshadowing anything the big studios had to offer. I'd give my vote to Subnautica. It was the most refreshing thing I'd played in quite a while, so much so that I'd have a hard time describing it or comparing it to anything else.

Subnautica for me.

Haven't enjoyed a game like that in years. The amazing exploration, story telling, sound effects sound track and fun game play was just great. Felt chills in some of the areas due to the perfect mix of ambient music and sound effects.

Back