What is your favorite PC game controller?

Cyalume

Weaksauce
By "PC game controller", I'm referring to any standard gamepad device that can be used to play games on PC by some way or another. Examples include the Xbox 360 pad, Dualshock 4, Xbox One controller, and so on.

I own the Xbox One Elite controller. I must say, I dislike it quite a bit. It seems uncomfortable to use for long periods of time, and the harsh clacking of the metal thumbsticks upon the metal rim guards really starts to wear on the thumbs after a while. I am, ironically, taking a much stronger liking to a $15 Xbox 360 knockoff controller I found at Walmart the other day:
s-l1600.jpg

I've heard a lot of good things about the Xbox One Elite controller, seems to be a more customizable version of the regular Xbox One Elite controller. I have one of those and it feels pretty much the same the 360 controller to me.

Favorite is still the standard Xbox One controller. The analog triggers and stick feel "tighter" and the D-pad is way better than the 360 one. Bumpers are a little "mushy" more than they are "clicky", but no problem getting used to that for me. Official support is great, too, in most games vs the PS4 controller.

Now is the discomfort with the Elite just in the sticks? I'm assuming you've tried all of the different sizes.

I own an Xbox 360 controller, DS4, and a Steam Controller.

Overall I like the Steam Controller the best. It had the best triggers, best analog stick, and once you get used to the track pads, you can really do some special things with all the customizable options. It does take some time to get used to (in my opinion the location of the XYAB buttons takes the most time to relearn), but now that I am I prefer it in almost all games where I use a controller.

I still use my DS4 for Dark Souls games because it just feels right, but I that might change as the Steam Controller matures more.

The 360 controller was what I used before I bought the other controllers, and there really is no reason to use it any more. It's cheap feeling and super uncomfortable compared to the others.

I still use my DS4 for Dark Souls games because it just feels right, but I that might change as the Steam Controller matures more.
I was wondering about the Steam Controller. For games where the right stick is used for the camera, how does the Steam Controller feel with the trackpad instead?

I was wondering about the Steam Controller. For games where the right stick is used for the camera, how does the Steam Controller feel with the trackpad instead?
I'll be honest, it can be hit or miss. In a game like Dark Souls where it is strictly camera and not so much aiming, I still prefer having an analog stick (which is why I use the DS4 for those games). This is mainly due to the fact that my thumb still gets lost on the TouchPad, so I will occasionally send inputs when I don't want to (example: I think I am resting my thumb in the middle of the track pad, but it really is off to one side so the camera starts moving). For games where you are using the track pad to aim a reticle, it works very well because you are constantly moving and adjusting your thumb position it doesn't get lost.

Hope that makes sense!

I'll be honest, it can be hit or miss. In a game like Dark Souls where it is strictly camera and not so much aiming, I still prefer having an analog stick (which is why I use the DS4 for those games). This is mainly due to the fact that my thumb still gets lost on the TouchPad, so I will occasionally send inputs when I don't want to (example: I think I am resting my thumb in the middle of the track pad, but it really is off to one side so the camera starts moving). For games where you are using the track pad to aim a reticle, it works very well because you are constantly moving and adjusting your thumb position it doesn't get lost.

Hope that makes sense!
Yeah it does, thanks. I'll have to get my hands on one of these at some point.

I like the Xbox 360 and One controllers equally. Both are nice for most games.
For anything that requires a d-pad, it's tough to beat a PS2 or PS3 controller with an adapter. I've had a lot of headaches with Bluetooth, but they work great wired.

I'm a huge fan of the razer sabertooth feel and design but their QA is total crap. I've RMA'd mine 5 times and the left stick on the 6th one just recently gave up centering. I'd never recommend buying one but I wish someone else would come out with those wonderful clicky buttons instead of the mashed potato feel of the rest. I'm stuck using an xbone controller mostly now.

I use an Xbox One Wireless Controller for most of my games, and any emulators that use a 4 button layout (SNES, PS1). I use an OG USB Microsoft Sidewinder for 6-button systems (Sega), as it was the second best option behind a genuine Saturn controller, which is hella expensive.

I also use an adapter and a GameCube Wavebird for Dolphin Emulator.

I use a Power A controller called an "Xbox One Mini Series"

I have cerebal palsy and therefore my left hand is smallish and I dont have a ton of dexterity. On larger controllers I struggle to accurately reach all the buttons on my left side. Regardless quality wise these sticks destroy a regular controller. If you don't mind wired controllers I recommend it. I'm actually really sad Power A doesnt make a PS3 and 4 version.

Been using Xbox One controller, no major issues aside from the d-pad not really designed for movement.

thinking of getting iBuffalo NES and SNES controllers for emulators, they are quite cheap.

My 360 black controller is so good that I don't want to change it. Maybe someday, I'll have the chance to try the Xbox One controller or the elite one to see if change it or not.

I have both PS4 and X-Box one I like the shape of the X-ONE better but the bumbers on the PS4 controller are easier to reach. I would avoid a Elite controller cause it's heavier and problems with the paddles being in the way.

Steam Controller for sure. I switched from a 360 controller and I'll never go back. The right pad isn't as good as a stick for everything, but the ability to play games that were previously mouse-only on the couch is more than worth it.

Steam Controller here as well. Haven't touched my 360 controller since I got this one. Once you get used to it, it is a phenomenal interface.

I use an Xbox One controller on PC because it has native support for most games and feels alright. I actually prefer my PS4 controller, but there's no native support so meh. PS3 controller is pretty bad actually, I didn't realize it until I used the Xbone controller and PS4 controller.

PS4 controller, it feels better when playing ps emulated games. That and someone else has my 360 controller.

Without a doubt my favorite control for games on the PC is keyboard mouse !

I absolutely love the Xbox Elite controller. For me it's the most comfortable controller I've ever used, and I thought the 360 controller was perfect. The sticks feel like butter, the paddles rock and the "hair finger" trigger option is bad ass for shooters. I have gamed for hours and never felt a hint of fatigue using this controller.

I only use a controller for racing.
My XBox 360 controller isnt quite sensitive enough and has a large deadzone so I spent an age looking for a controller that will fix both of those.

Eventually ordered the Thrustmaster GPX lightback which is quite an old design now but it is a briiliant racing controller, except for one thing.
The accelerate/brake levers are quite a lot harder to push, it took my fingers some time to get used to them.
Before that, I had to limit my race time due to finger squish.

However the ability to make tiny adjustments made all the difference, it improved my ability substantially.
It has a tiny deadzone, perfect.

still using an original wired xbox 360 controller, works fine for me. i have a g27 for racing games.

I'm still using xbox360 controllers. I have an old wired one that still works and 2 almost new black wireless ones but the damn transmitters both broke...

Wireless 360 controllers. Mainly used for emulation and racing games.

My XBox 360 controller isnt quite sensitive enough and has a large deadzone

I hear ya there! I'm not too serious when it comes to racing so I deal with it. All three of my 360 controllers always 'pull to the left' a little when racing. Some games I can adjust, but TrackMania always feels like I need to get an alignment on my car. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
well, I've been pc gaming since the last 80's and I finally bought a controller a couple
of days ago.....
going to try the 360 wired....seems like so many games are now 3rd person over the shoulder
view games, that it would be easier using a controller.......
or maybe I'm just getting to old , need to start playing bingo instead of w3 .........heheh

Well, I don't use a controller for much considering I play mostly FPS games and well...nobody with any sense uses a controller for those, but for everything else: Steam controller, hands down. By far the best controller ever conceived.

Logitech F710 currently. Looks like a 360 controller for games but still has the playstation controller style layout that I like.

I like the xbox 360 controller best, except the D-Pad which is nearly unusable, that's what I use to play console ports on my PC. The Xbox One controller is a bit small but I might be able to get used to it. I also have a PS4 and the PS4 controller is ok, a lot better than the PS3/PS2 controllers which I genuinely found uncomfortable.

Back